What knives are you using for mountain hunting?

What knife/knives are you using for mountain hunting?

• Total voters
For years I have used an ESEE 4 fixed blade for all around outdoor use as well as gutting and some skinning with a dedicated BHK fixed blade (cant remember the name) skinner. Leather strop for quick touch up in the field .

Shraggs

WKR
Hi all, new member. I voted fixed only.

I vary my models based on needs of hunt. For packing out elk meat I would carry bark river "wolf river" a great traditional skinner in svn35 stainless and bamboo handles - weighs 4oz. Would also carry their Canadian sportsman model, basically a 5" stiff fillet style knife - weighs 3oz. Last would be their ultra lite bushcrafter for all other camp and utility chores - a touch over 2oz

I have not killed an elk yet so I may change if I don't like my current knife kit, it a little heavy. Have not warmed to the havalon type knives because I am a knife nut and love to use fine crafted steels !

my elk mentor taught me how to break an elk down with a fillet knife. so i now carry a rapala fillet knife.worked well on my bull this year but needed sharpening during the process.I did use a fixed blade buck for the joints. Several guys i know use fillet knives.

RedStag

Lil-Rokslider
Havalon, a few of the smaller blades for caping, a few for processing. Just ordered a kestrel ti sul edc, so a 3" fixed for joints and meat breakdown

NorthT

FNG
I usually carry buck 110 folder. I tried the havalon knife last year, guess I'm too rough with it, ended breaking majority of the blades. Either 110 or buck alpha. Little heavier than most but dependable

I can't believe an Ulu isn't on this poll. I'm guessing most folks in the lower 48 have never heard of one. They won't work for caping (turning lips, ears, etc.), but for skinning and breaking game down you can't beat 'em IMO.

Last edited:

edg1967

WKR
Marbles

Vintage Marbles Woodcraft in a new custom leather dangler with fire steel loop. Not exactly light at 12 oz with the steel., but holds a great edge and is sharp and durable as Hell!

Attachments

• photo-1.JPG
    photo-1.JPG
    20.6 KB · Views: 103
I carry a Ruana Steelhead fixed blade which has just over a 3" blade. Maybe 3.5" along the curve. Nice shape and size.

I always have an Uncle Henry Schrade lock-blade knife on me as well. My son also has the same Ruana and a Buck 110 Folding Hunter. All hold a great edge and are dependable.

A buddy got this at an estate sale last year and picked up two of these, one for each of us. I cannot wait to try it out. Hopefully this spring on a black bear. Should be a great skinning knife. The knives I figure were built in the 1960's or around then. I took and refinished the handle with 10 coats or so of Tru Oil and put a wicked edge on the blade. A friend of his built sheaths for the knives and did a fantastic job!

Now it's a bit large and heavy to carry on some of the backpack trips but sure will work great on skinning out an animal. I hope I get to try it out.
David

I posted on here awhile back regarding the knives I use and would like to add to that. I understand the efficiency of the Havalon system BUT something about a knife is special to me and carries memories as well as acting as a true multi use tool. I love my knives.

AK Shane

Lil-Rokslider
Typically using the Havalon in combination with a 3" Buck fixed blade. I also really like the Victorinox 3.25" blade paring knives. They're around $6 each, razor sharp, stiffer than the Havalon and one will typically last me a couple of seasons.

I second the Victorinox, I've been using these for years. These have been around a long time and they're great for gutting and caping( they are super for turning eye lids, ears, lips and noses in the field when needed!). Once you get used to them, they are good for skinning also( Takes a bit to get used to a straight blade). As a bonus they work good for boning meat out too. I carry two of these, they are cheap and light,but still work great.
I carry an old Schrade skinning knife for skinning the large areas.

Last edited:
How many of you fellow Havalon users carry a small needle nose or something to assist in blade changes? I had a bloody ( literally ) time with this when mine was covered with blood and fat. Thinking of taking my little fishing pliers this year. Thoughts?

16Bore

WKR
You can pop the blade off easily if you just lift the lower corner and push the blade forward with something other than your finger. As for putting on the new one, just get it started and carefully push the tip against something until it snaps into place.

But I don't go far without my Leatherman Wave.....

The only thing I pack with me on my mountain hunts is my Custom Don Stevenson caper. Never liked the feel of any havalons and can use this knive for all my needs. Lets me work in on horn bases and inside of hooves without broken blades.
Its the top one in the pic. These pictured are the only knives I carry on my other big game hunts.
DSCN5652_zps2b8253c8.jpg

robtattoo

WKR
a5u3ypy5.jpg

This is one of my own making. I used to build custom knives for a living before I moved here & it took me a few years before I found a good all round design I liked.
The blade is 4-5/8", straight spined with a roach belly edge. Flat ground 1/8" O1 carbon steel hardened to 58rwc
The scales are blaze G10.
I've been using nothing but this for breaking down game for the last 5 years. I've butchered well over 100 critters with this knife (some mine, most for friends) & I can't imagine using anything else now!