What knives are you using for mountain hunting?

What knife/knives are you using for mountain hunting?

• Total voters

tttoadman

WKR
I am really skeptical of change. I am also anything but delicate with a knife. I am not quite smashing bunnies, but I am confident i would be one of those who would struggle with breaking blades. The support for these knives is overwhelming, and hard to ignore. I am convinced to move forward with the Havalon Bolt with the heavier blades. Thank you all again for convincing me to spend more of my hard earned money just to shed another few oz from my pack weight. I know I will not regret it.

I bought the havalon edge and a leatherman Squirt PS4. Cut major weight and have no regrets. I have had no problems parting the legs and head with the Edge. I decided the Bolt may be for the "GIF" in me, and decided to show her who's boss. I chose the Squirt PS4 because it is the most compact multi tool out there with the pliers and a short knife blade for utility use. I don't even carry the folding knife on my belt anymore.

Slim Jim

WKR
I really like a good fixed blade knife. I've got quite a few but seriously looking into getting a Bob Frazier knife.
Been using a havalon for the past 4 years but I don't like the disposable aspect of it and the flex.

gmajor

WKR
I broke down and ordered a Benchmade Hidden Canyon Hunter. I've been eyeing it for a bit as it fulfills much of what I'm looking for in a mountain knife. Anyone have first hand experiences with it?

I picked up a KOA alpha wolf and cub bear shaving sharp should be able to break down bulls and bucks easily with this set also got a KOA muskrat for caping and delicate work to

boom

WKR
i just bought my first custom knife. the thing is a lazer!

i'm carrying that!!

Chem-E

Lil-Rokslider
Well, with Christmas almost here, I finally decided its time to try the havalons. I ordered a piranta and a baracuta bone saw combo kit. If my reading on here is correct, Ill be able to store both knives in the Baracuta case, and have a lot of flexibility to try these things out and have a complete kit that doesn't weigh much. From skinning, to gutting, boning and filleting I think Ill have a knife for the job. I will probably move to a quality fixed blade knife for camp duties, etc, and carry my leatherman charge TI as the all purpose tool. Not exactly a featherweight set up, but that's why im hoping to have with me. Need to get the havalons in hand and run them throught a few animals before Ill know how well I like em.

This is the exact set up I use. Last season I took an elk and had the Havalon Piranta, Charge Ti, and a Bark River fixed blade. I used them all and consider each indispensable.
This year I purchased the Barracuta and have the bone saw blades along with the 115 XTs. I am on the fence with bringing both the Baracuta and the Piranta. But the weight is negligible, so both will most likely end up in the pack.
If both end up making the cut then I will most likely only bring one, or none, spare blades for the Piranta. If I use the 60A Piranta blade I think it could be sharpened a few times on the fly if needed. I don't care for the 60XT blades at all. Way too flimsy.

The Charge Ti was a surprise for me. Before last season I had cut out the full size multitool for weight savings. This year I splurged for the Charge Ti and after using it for camping all summer I decided I could not leave it at home when I left for my elk hunt. I ended up using it so much, especially after I had the animal down. It moved from the pack to the belt, then to the front and center position of my belt! I used for everything! It is so nice having a pair of pliers, a saw, and a sharp set of smooth and serrated blades handy! It is heavy, but worth every ounce. I could get by without it, but why?

The fixed blade knife is a personal choice. I honestly didn't use it a ton. But I have a fire rod on the sheath and consider this knife a hey part of my survival strategy. I used it on a dangler and it was never in the way. I never noticed it at all! It hung low, below my pack belt. It never got in the way when sitting or crouching. I never noticed it when stalking in crab mode. The CPM 3V steel is really nice and I am liking it more than some of the S30V blades I own.
http://www.rokslide.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=23712&stc=1&d=1425755127
http://www.rokslide.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=23711&stc=1&d=1425755107

Attachments

• 20150307_120213.jpg
    20150307_120213.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 41
  • 20150307_120230.jpg
    20150307_120230.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 48

boom

WKR
Yea it's heavy. It's an Adventure Sworn. Explorer model. It weighs 7.5oz when my mora weighs 3.5.

But it is surgical sharp. Downright frightening.

bogeyboy555

Lil-Rokslider
i saw a guy bust a havalon blade and slice his hand beyond repair. the tendons were cut right through.

In my opinion, Its not worth 3 ounces. Get a good fixed knife, be safe!

Knive of Alaska Bear Cub & Knives of Alaska Trekker White Tail

boom

WKR
i saw a guy bust a havalon blade and slice his hand beyond repair. the tendons were cut right through.

In my opinion, Its not worth 3 ounces. Get a good fixed knife, be safe!

Knive of Alaska Bear Cub & Knives of Alaska Trekker White Tail

We buried a broken blade into some hog fat. Searching for it was a mining expedition. Granted, it was our first try with a disposable blade. I like fixed blades.

They do so much more than butcher stuff.

We buried a broken blade into some hog fat. Searching for it was a mining expedition. Granted, it was our first try with a disposable blade. I like fixed blades.

They do so much more than butcher stuff.

100% agree.... especially when you can get a Mora Companion for half the price and almost as light... around 4ish oz I believe.

Knives are one thing that I absolutely cannot cut corners on while hunting or hiking (pun intended;)

My rotation is usually something from ESEE (3, 4, or izzy II... can't wait for the new James Gibson model... will be a great hunting blade) or Bark river (Gunny is my all time favorite blade right now) coupled with a Mora.