Upgrading Trucks Tundra, Gm, or f150

Savagenut

WKR
Stay away from anything GM. Stepfather has had his less than 2 years, transmission already has to be replaced after being in the shop twice already. GMs first two fixes were to change the AT fluid, and that the transmission slipping was normal. Transmission gave up the ghost while they were on their way home. Left stranded for a few hours until the tow truck picked them up. Dealer is paying 7k to replace with a new trans, if they can find a new one. Trucks been sitting at the dealer for 2 weeks now.

What year? Torque converter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tradman

Lil-Rokslider
What year? Torque converter?

It is a 2018 Z71. He bought it as a certified used from a Chevrolet dealer. He's still waiting for the dealer to locate a new transmission. Not sure about the torque converter.

Gwchem

Lil-Rokslider
It is a 2018 Z71. He bought it as a certified used from a Chevrolet dealer. He's still waiting for the dealer to locate a new transmission. Not sure about the torque converter.
It might be a long wait. Tons of the 6L80s are falling apart these days. They don't sell new replacements, only remans.

tradman

Lil-Rokslider
We figured. Luckily my father has a 1970s Ford ranger crew cab as his backup. May be old but still gets around with no issues.

grfox92

WKR
Any thoughts on the Nissan titan? Resale looks horrible but I drive my vehicles until they die.

My buddy just sold one with 348k miles on it. It didn't leak a drop of oil or tranny fluid. Ran like it was brand new, but it got 10mpg which I think is the reason more people aren't hot for Titans the way they are for Toyotas.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

tradman

Lil-Rokslider
Update on fathers Silverado. It looks like his truck is going to be down for a while as GM does not have any replacement transmissions available, they also cannot give an estimated wait time as well. His truck continues to sit at the dealership waiting.

Gwchem

Lil-Rokslider
Update on fathers Silverado. It looks like his truck is going to be down for a while as GM does not have any replacement transmissions available, they also cannot give an estimated wait time as well. His truck continues to sit at the dealership waiting.
That's unfortunate, sorry to hear.

Mine was rebuilt three times. Then some electrical issues were found. The computer or wiring harness was shorted somewhere and it was burning up the transmission with crazy mis-shifting.

bowhuntercoop

Lil-Rokslider
IMG_8646.jpeg
Sold my pro Tacoma and my 07 5.9 6 speed Cummins. Bought a brand new 23 2.7 ecoboost. Leveled on 33s and still averaging 27 mpg driving back and forth to work at 55-60mph.

Interior space is amazing. Ride quality is great. Overall build quality seems much nicer then my 18 Tacoma and 07 Cummins. 100k 7 year warranty that I hope to never use. 2 months in and I’m super impressed with the truck.

IMG_8476.jpeg
Over 10k pulling capacity and almost 1800 pounds of payload. Should last many years and serve as a sweet hunting rig. IMG_8518.jpeg

I’d stay away from the tundra unless you like gas stations. Small tank and poor mileage was my experience (put maybe 100k on a 2013 before dumping it). Really reliable tho.

A.hol1

Lil-Rokslider
I’d stay away from the tundra unless you like gas stations. Small tank and poor mileage was my experience (put maybe 100k on a 2013 before dumping it). Really reliable tho.

There are a couple models that have a 38 gallon tank. Gas mileage still sucks but fewer stops between stations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Seeknelk

WKR
Not very pleased with my 14 f150 at the moment. I was looking for a truck in 17 and since I seldom drive it besides hunting/fishing, I didn't want a 50k$ lawn ornament and wanted to pay cash. So after some research I got a "basic" V8 engine, 100k miles at the time, and no bells and whistles.
Well, I'm now at 150k miles and need a complete valve job and will do the timing system once they are in there. Looking at a minimum of 4-7 k for this work. The # 8 cly miss shakes the truck right now at idle. Fairly common issue, the valve starts getting worn and pulled into the head. Cly 5 and 8 have coolant flow issues. There is a fix for it I will have done also but a bit grouchy about it

Gseith

Lil-Rokslider
It’s probably the torque converter. You should have him look into the class action lawsuit that’s started.
I read they made changes to the transmission in 19 to rid of that problem. I had a 17 I traded in after having transmission issues a second time. So far my 2022 Silverado has been great.

ShawnStonefly

Lil-Rokslider
Another plus one for Tundra, doesn't have all the bells and whistles like the other brands but super reliable. Definitely get a shield for your catalytic converter, as I learned the other night, its very easy for the junkies to saw it out quick.

I have a 2016 F150, with the 3.5L Ecoboost, Super Crew, 6' bed, heavy duty load package. It currently has 206,000 miles on the clock and has been a rock solid truck Synthetic oil and filter changes every 10,000 miles, tires/shocks every 50,000, and new brakes/plugs/serpentine belt every 100,000, and that's been it. I get 22-23 mpg cruising at 65 unloaded, 12mpg loaded down pulling my 22' equipment trailer on western hunts, and 11mpg pulling my 8700lb, 36' 5th wheel. It's been one solid truck.

tradman

Lil-Rokslider
It’s probably the torque converter. You should have him look into the class action lawsuit that’s started.
I read they made changes to the transmission in 19 to rid of that problem. I had a 17 I traded in after having transmission issues a second time. So far my 2022 Silverado has been great.
Another update. His truck is still sitting in the lot with no transmission on the way yet. Last he checked, their is now more trucks coming in sitting parked waiting for replacement transmissions. Starting to look into the law suit option as well.
Will keep updated.

Seeknelk

WKR
Not very pleased with my 14 f150 at the moment. I was looking for a truck in 17 and since I seldom drive it besides hunting/fishing, I didn't want a 50k$ lawn ornament and wanted to pay cash. So after some research I got a "basic" V8 engine, 100k miles at the time, and no bells and whistles.
Well, I'm now at 150k miles and need a complete valve job and will do the timing system once they are in there. Looking at a minimum of 4-7 k for this work. The # 8 cly miss shakes the truck right now at idle. Fairly common issue, the valve starts getting worn and pulled into the head. Cly 5 and 8 have coolant flow issues. There is a fix for it I will have done also but a bit grouchy about it
Update...had the valve job done for 3850 including fresh timing stuff. Runs as it should now and got 1-2 mpg back. Used rigs are still insane prices so I'm doing version 2.0 I guess. Fresh suspension and wheels and tires too. Love the topper and crew cab having 6 kiddos. A couple that can hunt this year so I need some space.

Savagenut

WKR
Update...had the valve job done for 3850 including fresh timing stuff. Runs as it should now and got 1-2 mpg back. Used rigs are still insane prices so I'm doing version 2.0 I guess. Fresh suspension and wheels and tires too. Love the topper and crew cab having 6 kiddos. A couple that can hunt this year so I need some space.

What engine? 5.0?

lnewton

Lil-Rokslider
Have owned, ram’s, F150, chevy’s, gmc’s, tundra, tacoma. Ram was OK, F150 was junk. Chevy and GMC were 250k trucks. Tundra had transmission issues twice. Tacoma was a 240k truck before I sold it. I personally run a toyota sequoia and it is perfect. No need for a topper, just fold down the seats, load up and go hunt!

Gseith

Lil-Rokslider
Another update. His truck is still sitting in the lot with no transmission on the way yet. Last he checked, their is now more trucks coming in sitting parked waiting for replacement transmissions. Starting to look into the law suit option as well.
Will keep updated.
Good luck with the truck.
While I was talking to some transmission shops, one said he started to put torque converters from the 2500’s into the 1500’s.
He’s been doing it for years. Apparently they are made differently and don’t send the metal shavings into the transmission.
I was told the fuel mileage would be slightly lower but it would be dependable. Just a thought if he’s planning to keep the truck, that was my plan before I decided to trade it in.