Upgrading Trucks Tundra, Gm, or f150

Baddog

WKR
I have a 08 tundra with 140k on it and I’ve spent plenty to keep it running. I’ve not seen this incredible Toyota reliability that others brag about and the mpg is atrocious but it does drive nice

Jakerex

WKR
I have a 08 tundra with 140k on it and I’ve spent plenty to keep it running. I’ve not seen this incredible Toyota reliability that others brag about and the mpg is atrocious but it does drive nice

I had the same experience with a 2005 Tundra.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Broomd

WKR
Lovin' my 2020 Tundra SR5, 5.7L. Rare column shift/bench seat model.
Right at 19.5mpg for this fill-up--that's combined driving with gravel and highway--presently about halfway though the tank.
These trucks can deliver decent mileage, especially in rural country. Gotta have factory-sized tires, factory rake, and a light foot. I suspect that the factory TRD dual exhaust increases my mileage as well.
Hardcore city driving, constant stoplights and mods completely kill mileage in these trucks.

xCpIJrY%TWWqrVQ4Efpoag_thumb_21e8.jpg

Last edited:
Ill echo a lot of what has been said. I have a 2021 Tundra (got lucky and purchased right before the truck market went nuts with the pandemic). Its TRD/SR5 which has the 38 gallon fuel tank which is awesome for hunting. I ordered a GFC camper before I even had the truck and absolutely love both. I kept everything stock and couldnt be happier. I have had the truck in some pretty bad spots in Wy and Montana and never had any issues that a shovel and some elbow grease couldnt get me out of.

Jakerex

WKR
Lovin' my 2020 Tundra SR5, 5.7L. Rare column shift/bench seat model.
Right at 19.5mpg for this fill-up--that's combined driving with gravel and highway--presently about halfway though the tank.
These trucks can deliver decent mileage, especially in rural country. Gotta have factor-sized tires, factory rake, and a light foot. I suspect that the factory TRD dual exhaust increases my mileage as well.
Hardcore city driving, constant stoplights and mods completely kill mileage in these trucks.

View attachment 488052

I call BS. Nobody ever averaged 19.5 in a tundra unless they were driving downhill for the whole tank of gas. Or the average is over a small amount of miles.

I will say my dad went from a 2020 with the 8 cylinder to the 2022 with the twin turbo 6, and his 2020 did get better gas mileage. Average around 15 town and highway

Broomd

WKR
I call BS. Nobody ever averaged 19.5 in a tundra unless they were driving downhill for the whole tank of gas. Or the average is over a small amount of miles.

I will say my dad went from a 2020 with the 8 cylinder to the 2022 with the twin turbo 6, and his 2020 did get better gas mileage. Average around 15 town and highway

Dude, couldn't care less what you call it. I practically called guys liars for saying that they were getting 19-20mpg with the '14-'21 Tundra, so I know how this goes.
'No way in hell' I said, and when I passed on my new '22 Tundra allocation due to endless QC issues, I resolved to a newer Tundra 5.7 with its brutal economy.

So...when wife and I picked our new-to-us '20 truck up from Powell, WY right outside of Yellowstone we filled it up. She drove it home behind me and got 20.4 mpg. When she told me that I called BS and said absolutely no way. I then hand calculated all the way home with fillups and she averaged exactly 20.4mpg to St. Maries Idaho. The dash meter was 100% accurate.
She drove behind me, so she was drafting much of the time. She would have likely gotten high 19's otherwise.
It's all about LIGHT FOOT and 65 mph top speed.

Bluumoon

WKR
07 Tundra 170k. Squirrel/rat chewed some wires, that took a bit to figure out. Otherwise good to go.

Dude, couldn't care less what you call it. I practically called guys liars for saying that they were getting 19-20mpg with the '14-'21 Tundra, so I know how this goes.
'No way in hell' I said, and when I passed on my new '22 Tundra allocation due to endless QC issues, I resolved to a newer Tundra 5.7 with its brutal economy.

So...when wife and I picked our new-to-us '20 truck up from Powell, WY right outside of Yellowstone we filled it up. She drove it home behind me and got 20.4 mpg. When she told me that I called BS and said absolutely no way. I then hand calculated all the way home with fillups and she averaged exactly 20.4mpg to St. Maries Idaho. The dash meter was 100% accurate.
She drove behind me, so she was drafting much of the time. She would have likely gotten high 19's otherwise.
It's all about LIGHT FOOT and 65 mph top speed.
It's all about the light foot. I got 17 MPG in my Ram 5.7 hemi...then I put a Carven Progressive muffler on it and now I get 13-14 😅

Sounds amazing though.

Tundra! 2017 is the sweet spot for them, best year overall - transmission cooler, pre-nanny mode, if I had done a bit more research before I bought my '12, this would be the year to focus on. I'm on my first with the 5.7 (12') (130k miles, plan to drive to 200k, then buy... another Tundra), 1st was the 4.7 ('03) (200k miles, sold)- crewmax, 3" lift, shell, 34" tires, loaded pretty heavily with roof rack, etc. Gets 11-14 typically, whether it's loaded up or not (at altitude, I live at 8000'). Absolute beast of a truck, will go anywhere it will fit, the manual drive mode on the 6 speed is excellent, and gives great control offroad. I pretty much refuse to buy anything but a Toyota or Lexus... Wifes Lexus is at 210k, runs great. I've owned every Toyota truck except the t-100... Original 4x4 pu, Tacomas, Tundras, LX470... All bombproof vehicles. The gas mileage penalty on the Tundra is easily offset by the reliability factor.

Usi05

WKR
Loving this thread. Been looking for a used pickup between $30-35k. Helpful info here

IdahoElk

WKR
4.7 or 5.7 motor? what have you repaired?

I've put a combined 170k on a 2017 and 2020 F150 with the 5.0 V8 with no issues. Somehow, I haven't even replaced brakes yet. I looked hard at the Tundra but the retail price and gas mileage are ridiculous. If I was going to deal with sub 18 mpg highway I'd just go all in and get a HD diesel.

Christopher.Reed

Lil-Rokslider
How do those Tundra's ride on forest roads? Anyone have experience with stock suspension vs upgraded/lifted?

As previously mentioned I have a 2011 tundra with stock suspension (it’s a rock warrior edition so it has the off road package) and it drives well on any surface I put it on. Eats up former logging roads, creek crossings, and long washboard dirt roads with ease.

The only “drivability” issue I have had with it is some serious “wind buffeting” with only one window down doing anything over 40.

Darryle

WKR
I've put a combined 170k on a 2017 and 2020 F150 with the 5.0 V8 with no issues. Somehow, I haven't even replaced brakes yet. I looked hard at the Tundra but the retail price and gas mileage are ridiculous. If I was going to deal with sub 18 mpg highway I'd just go all in and get a HD diesel.

In your 2020 do you have the hard shift from 7th to 8th?

Broomd

WKR
Dan, I know you're looking for real world mileage and what is possible (doubting Jakerex notwithstanding)....ran to town today and grabbed a pic of the dash. 150 miles on the odo for this tank, 19.1 average. 28*, the cold starts at home and in town bumped me down from 19.5. I was in 4wd today as well.
If you're willing to simply drive the speed limit and keep factory tires size you can manage decent mileage with a 5.7 tundra. The 1000 rpm's at speed can help these motors stay economical. But...as I alluded, city life can destroy that.
Most guys don't g.a.s. and drive them like they stole them.

Will post a pic of my ending mileage before next fill-up, suspect about 19.3 mpg +/-, we're expecting some below zero weather and that will factor.
My driving is normal driving, not hypermiling some wind-aided, downhill highway stretch...

Attachments

• IMG_7785.JPG
    IMG_7785.JPG
    210 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_7791.JPG
    IMG_7791.JPG
    161 KB · Views: 91