Nissan Titan PRO-4X

Those Nissan Titans are nice. I'd like to get one, but the cash isn't there for a new(er) truck at the moment. I wouldn't worry about it being discontinued next year.

golfbum

WKR
I really wanted to get out of my Ram cummins diesel and into a titan xd but with them being discontinued, i doubt i will.

elkliver

Lil-Rokslider
First you have to tell us where you were located in case we want dibs. On a tundra.
What

OP
G
First you have to tell us where you were located in case we want dibs. On a tundra.
What
Central Missouri. She only has 137,000 miles.

Mostly a pavement princess but gets to go in the wild and do truck stuff a couple weeks a year. Still cleans up nicely.

Attachments

• IMG_5202.jpeg
    IMG_5202.jpeg
    495.9 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_5239.jpeg
    IMG_5239.jpeg
    400.4 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_5240.jpeg
    IMG_5240.jpeg
    421.1 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_4469.jpeg
    IMG_4469.jpeg
    381.1 KB · Views: 74

swampfox

FNG
If you want the titan then get it, they are great trucks and it seems like they have been pretty reliable from what I’ve seen online. Like others have said it’s being discontinued so there maybe less future support and resale will be significantly lower than a tundra so I’m not sure the cost savings will hold up over time.

I’m a tundra guy so a little bit biased but I think your overall cost of ownership will be lower with tundra just based on the amazing resale value. And with the switch to TTV6 in the tundra I think the v8s will hold value even better. I’ve been driving tundras since 2010 and in 14 yrs and around 200k miles between 2 trucks the only issue I’ve had is a single water pump that was starting to leak. So I’d say pay the Toyota tax and get the tundra but even if you get the titan I’m sure you’ll be happy.

I just bought a 19 pro4x titan for alot of the reason you have said. It is the 5.0 diesel but wasn't dead set on that motor just what I found the best deal on. After looking at the American big 3 and tundra. I realized I was going to have to give up all luxury features, and add another 30-50,000 miles to them to stay at the price I wanted to be at.

If the titan is what you like and in your budget get it and don't look back.

Attachments

• 20240107_125846.jpg
    20240107_125846.jpg
    586.2 KB · Views: 57

PNWGATOR

WKR
Run the sh!t out of it and post up how it does!

Might just be ‘the Tikka of trucks’. Run the piss out of the thing and don’t look back.

elkliver

Lil-Rokslider

Mostly a pavement princess but gets to go in the wild and do truck stuff a couple weeks a year. Still cleans up nicely.
I'm in Oregon so....probably will have to let it go. Too bad sounds like a nice truck

Frank Dux

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 2017 Titan SV 4wd, 50k. I have a work car so it doesn’t get used like some do. Mine has been fine, but if you join the Facebook Titan groups you’ll see it’s really hit and miss with these and the misses are pretty major. They are discontinued at this point so parts are going to get pretty scarce fairly quickly. Resale has tanked lately too, but then again that may benefit you cause they can only go down so much. I’d just say make sure you find out all of the issues that are common and try to make sure the one you’re buying doesn’t have them. For any car/truck nowadays get an excellent extended warranty. Transmissions and engines are $5k-$12k jobs and these aren’t uncommon repairs.

Check
Cylinder 7 knock - short block replacement
Transmission issues - they don’t do rebuilds for these
Roof panel cracks - seams didn’t get welded right
Paint chipping - some white paint literally just falls off in chunks

I’ve read the Armadas are built in Japan and the parts come from different plants, supposedly better built, but who knows.

If I could do it over, I’d rather have bought something that I know I could’ve kept running for a long time. With these who knows when you just won’t be able to find the part you’ll need. A warranty or how much you paid for it won’t matter then.

Frank Dux

Lil-Rokslider
We have some of the new Tundras where I work. They have various issues, but nothing powertrain related. These are first year models so some issues to be expected.

My advice is to wait, I expect a significant deflation in pricing across the board and lower interest rates by end of this year. Can almost guarantee you’ll save thousands. It’s hard to wait when you’ve already decided to get a new one though.

OP
G
I have a 2017 Titan SV 4wd, 50k. I have a work car so it doesn’t get used like some do. Mine has been fine, but if you join the Facebook Titan groups you’ll see it’s really hit and miss with these and the misses are pretty major. They are discontinued at this point so parts are going to get pretty scarce fairly quickly. Resale has tanked lately too, but then again that may benefit you cause they can only go down so much. I’d just say make sure you find out all of the issues that are common and try to make sure the one you’re buying doesn’t have them. For any car/truck nowadays get an excellent extended warranty. Transmissions and engines are $5k-$12k jobs and these aren’t uncommon repairs.

Check
Cylinder 7 knock - short block replacement
Transmission issues - they don’t do rebuilds for these
Roof panel cracks - seams didn’t get welded right
Paint chipping - some white paint literally just falls off in chunks

I’ve read the Armadas are built in Japan and the parts come from different plants, supposedly better built, but who knows.

If I could do it over, I’d rather have bought something that I know I could’ve kept running for a long time. With these who knows when you just won’t be able to find the part you’ll need. A warranty or how much you paid for it won’t matter then.
Appreciate the input. I have spent a good amount of time on Titan Talk as well as some Chevy and Ford groups and have been active on Tundra Talk for years. What I conclude from those is that Tundra people are fanatics (partially joking, they’re good, helpful people), a lot of Ford and Chevy folks (especially people Chevy 5.3s) have had repeated issues and regret their purchases, and Titan folks are more like Tundra people but less bandwagony.

It’s hard to gauge reliability from any of them because for every 5.3 engine that fails at 5,000 miles or every Toyota 5.7 that gets a cam tower leak, there are probably 50 trucks that run flawlessly for 150,000+. Brand loyalty really muddies the water a bit too. People on Tundra will be like “only had to replace a differential, starter, and alternator in first 100k and it gets 12mpg highway but I love this beast” lol.

N.ID7803

WKR
Go for it! Proud owner of multiple Nissan’s. I’ve got 80k on my 21’ and have had no issues with it. Same with the 18’ I had previous to that. I’m a forester and the truck has had a lot of woods/rough miles and keeps on ticking. Warranty is the best you will find. IMO it’s the new Toyota when it comes to reliability. It’s a shame they are discontinuing production.

I have had a Titan for a while now (2010). I got it for super cheap because the previous owner was tired of repair bills. To me it is like dodge and Toyota got together and built a truck. Mine is older so I don’t know if they have addressed any of the issues or not. But when comparing it to my friends who have similar aged Toyotas it’s night and day difference.

Exhaust manifold is an $$$$ issue. Paint does not hold up as well. 4wd is super loud when engaged (sounds like front dif will explode), rear axle vent needs replaced or seals will constantly go out, radiator/tranny cooler is potential bomb known to fail, all plastics parts are cheap and break super easy, parking brake is a joke, lots of road noise on interstate, lots of squeaks/rattles at higher mileage, tailgate hinge breaks a lot.

They are cheaper for a reason!

Crusader

WKR

Nice looking truck you have and I'm sure you won't have any trouble selling it. I'm in Missouri and would be interested but I'm looking for a Double Cab.

OP
G
Just for comparison, I went and drove a 2021 TRD Pro that was for sale locally and is probably the closest comparison trim for Toyota. It just didn’t do anything for me. No excitement or new car feel. Felt like a slightly dressed up version of my 2010. It is just not worth $50,000 for me.

82ndshawn

FNG
I have one of the Nissan Titan XD Diesel Platinum Reserve as a truck in our companies fleet. I bought it due to getting a great buy. I'll be honest I've drove it a good bit (probably 10,000 miles) and I like it better than my Ford Platinum. We haven't had any problems out of it at all and have put 500-600 miles a week on it.

Stalker69

WKR
Company I worked for the owner bought 2 titans, and had issues with both. Transmissions were at fault with both if them. I always look at, how many older titans do you see daily vs how many tundras or other trucks for that matter. I wouldn't buy a Nissan anything. Just my opinion of course.

OP
G
Company I worked for the owner bought 2 titans, and had issues with both. Transmissions were at fault with both if them. I always look at, how many older titans do you see daily vs how many tundras or other trucks for that matter. I wouldn't buy a Nissan anything. Just my opinion of course.
What year were they?

And I get it but I’ve also had two co-workers with newer Dodges that have loud engine ticks already. My FIL’s Sierra has had two or three transmissions, engine, and starter replaced before 150k, and my Tundra front differential was replaced before the 75k extended warranty ended. The one I test drove before I bought mine back in 2013 had the rear differential replaced at 35k. I only know two people with F-150s, but they’re both very new so too soon to tell.