Upgrading Trucks Tundra, Gm, or f150

Binz17

Lil-Rokslider
I worry about rust being from the midwest. Everything rusts. Obviously the f150s are aluminum now so they are good, any of the other brands that won't be rust buckets a few years down the road? My dad has Dodges and they all show rust sooner or later. He's to the point where he replaces them more often to not deal with it, but if I'm going to drive a truck til the wheel fall of I want it to look good while doing it.

Savagenut

WKR
Not to take this off track but I’ve noticed a few Canadian tundras making it into the us market at a more than fair price. Anyone purchased a Canadian truck before?

Gbrecka

Lil-Rokslider
I have oil consumption issues with my 2020 F-150 5.0. I’m on a monitoring program now, if I could do it again, I’d get the 2.7 eco boost or a tundra. I was 2 qts low on 4000 miles last oil change. I’ve read the oil issue more widespread the 18s and 19s

Not to take this off track but I’ve noticed a few Canadian tundras making it into the us market at a more than fair price. Anyone purchased a Canadian truck before?
I have a 2014 Ram 1500 Sport with the 5.7 hemi that spent 6 years and 70,000 miles in Alberta. It's undercoated so I didn't see any rust on the undercarriage. Never know if it was undercoated at 70 miles or 70,000 miles though I guess. Some rust has started showing up in spots like door hinges and the lips of the fender wells.

Biggest problem was the idle time. The 5.7 Hemi hates idling and it may contribute to development of hemi tick, which my truck certainly has. 1/3 of the hours on the engine were idling. Will check that next time before I buy.

Matt83

FNG
Other issues I’ve had with my 2018 F150: both front wheel bearings went out (at under 40k miles) covered by warranty. The interlocking hubs were rusted out as well. It sounded rough when I was in 4 wheel drive, warranty covered that as well. My panoramic sunroof track broke, luckily the extra warranty I bought covered it, factory warranty would not. Ford installed it wrong and it was leaking water. Took it back and it’s still leaking water. It goes back to ford for another try next week. When going into reverse from park, it makes a load think and shimmies. It doesn’t do it all the time but I took a video of it and it’ll be going in for that as well. The 10 speed transmission (in my opinion) is a POS. I love the truck but I certainly didn’t expect to have the issues I’ve had in 2 years of ownership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really like my 21 Tundra. I don’t know if you heard or not but they get terrible gas mileage. Changing the oil takes a little longer but not a huge deal. Pulls my trailer a lot better than my 19 Sierra did and has a lot more cab space for the kids.

Last edited:

Broomd

WKR
So...update here, Dan.
Finally filled up the '20 Tundra today. Last time I posted at 150 miles into this tank with a 19.1 mpg average.
My phone was kaput today, alas no charging cord. But I put in 17.76 gallons with a total of 337.6 miles on the odometer. I filled up with just over 1/4 tank remaining (and I have the smaller 26 gallon tank.) I think I get better range than lead-foots with the 38 gallon tank!

17.76 gallons into 337.6 miles driven = 19.009 mpg. Combined 50/50 gravel road and hwy driving, about 40% in 4WD, and I did take one trip to town when it was bitter cold, -16* that morning. That trip (and other cold starts) knocked me down from the mid-19's mpg. Today's highway travel brought me back up a bit.

These trucks can deliver decent mpg with prudent driving, stock-sized tires, no lift! And I think the TRD dual exhaust helps as well. I'll be adding the TRD air filter this Spring, will report if it helps.

OP
D

dan25

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for that update. I'm looking for a tundra. That's great information

thewileyone

Lil-Rokslider
There’s great ones out there for all of them just like lemons. I say drive several of each and figure out what works best for you and what you like. I have close friends who run trucks harder than I do and swear by all of them.

I had a 2012 Tundra that killed Tundras for me. It had transmission and fuel issues and the 5.7 wouldn’t get over 14 mpg no matter how I drove. I did a road trip and tried super unleaded and got around 13 mpg on the tank (all interstate). I loved the cab room in the super crew and a few other things. It wouldn’t pull an empty 16ft trailer on the highway without downshifting and running super high rpm’s. The truck would downshift more than any of my buddies Tundras when driving at highway speeds… mechanics always said it was fine, no issues… I’m not going to bash Tundras, I just had a bad one.

Fords- I like the 5.0v8 over the 3.5eco. I’ve driven both and know several trucks personally that have over 200k on them with no major issues… I also know of others with issues. But all in all, they are reliable and yea I currently drive a 2016 3.5 ecoboost with zero issues and 130k. I get 16-19 mpg and drive mostly town but highway speed for me is 80’s….

Chevy- I have drive and own a 2014 GMC 5.3 and have driven several over the years. I wish it had a little more power but have never had any major mechanical issues. My work vehicle had around 150 on it when it was replaced and never had any engine work (5.3). I have never owned the 6.2 but have driven a few and like the power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2015 F150 Crew with the 6.5' bed, 3.5 Ecoboost. I had a 2006 Tacoma for about 10 years just to see what all the Toyota loyalty was about....Lamest car ever. Toyota engineering and OE suppliers sold them the cheapest crap ever. Springs, wheels, interior materials, just weak sauce all over. Lots of engineering shortcomings that I either fixed or cussed at. I'm pretty sure you buy a Toyota for the image and then convince yourself it's a decent rig.
F150 has almost 140k on it now and other than upgrade shocks at 80k and new front springs to level it instead of spacers or 5100s on preload, it is all original. Tons of power, good economy when I baby it (18.5mpg on 33" Falken Wildpeaks), no issues...Engine, tranny, accessories good, really intelligent ergonomics and engineering. Great rig. It's been over PNW basalt cobble and there isn't a squeak or rattle anywhere.
I would totally buy a used 2015+ F150 and Tundra wouldn't even make the list.

tony

WKR
No perfect vehicle
I've owned all F150's with a Tacoma in the middle. Worst trunk I've owned. Frame rust, numerous recalls, horrible gas mileage. With that, I'd buy another one if they keep the 6 speed.
My F150s have been pretty much trouble free, 99 had an exhaust manifold rot out, fuel pump some body rust. '13 had a water pump, and tranny sensor
This '21 Ranger has been pretty good so far with 1 year under it.
I don't keep a truck much past 150,000 so maybe thats why I don't see most the issues I read about? Or I am real lucky!

seand

Lil-Rokslider
My tundra gets very similar mileage as my dads 2015 eco boost. He has way more power, but mine will cost way less in the long run. I only tow a 3500# boat, and towing get 13-14. I track every tank.

1211099B-9A7C-4218-9CAB-FD7741F9AF35.jpeg

IdahoBeav

WKR
I have been running a Tacoma for the last 9 years, bought it new from a dealer and passed on additional warranty. It hasn't missed a beat. Even the clutch is still strong after 135k miles. I also bought a brand new 2020 Explorer for my wife. The incomplete assembly from the factory and random minor problems after only 35k miles have been extensive. I just know it will have more intense problems in the future. Luckily I did pick up additional warranty when I bought it. The gas mileage is not great with Toyota, but the Ford mpg meter is not accurate. It reads for far better mpg than the true hand-calced value.

nobody

WKR
Buy the Tundra.

I had a 2015 Ecoboost a few years ago, bought it with 62k on it, got rid of it 7 months later with 68k on it. It was a really nice, clean, simple XLT model. No touch screen no extra bells and whistles except for a trailer brake. Crew Cab, short bed, nice pickup. I had towed a trailer ONE TIME with it, and never hot rodded it. In the 7 months I had it, it cost me just shy of 10 grand in repairs. Transmission, timing cover leaks, ignition coil failures, timing chain rattle (look that up on the ecoboosts, if that doesn't turn you off of one then I guess have at it). The one time I DID tow with it, I towed a small Honda Side by Side to an elk hunt, and the truck got 8 MPG down the freeway. You read that right, 8 MPG with roughly 2200 lbs behind it. When I got rid of it, my uncle told me something that's stuck with me: At the end of the day, turbo or not, it's still a 3.5l V6 that you're asking to do the job of a big block V8. The Honda Pilot has a 3.5L V6, and I doubt anybody would argue it's an adequate towing rig.

Dad bought a 2019 Ecoboost right before I dumped mine, bought it brand new. He just traded it in last week, it had 90k on it. He's a salesman in the HVAC industry and puts roughly 30k per year on his vehicles, but they're all unloaded highway miles. Typically he got 17 or 18 MPG on a good day when it was just him and he was running down the freeway, so nothing to write home about. At 35k, he lost the trans. Ford replaced it under warranty, but the new one never shifted right and would shift really hard alot of the time, especially when down shifting. It went to the shop multiple times and they could never figure out what was wrong with it. About a year ago it developed the timing chain rattle. Dad never could trust that truck, and he finally dumped it and he's glad he did. It's a shame, Ford builds a really nice truck, interior wise. But mechanically, they're horrible.

No experience with the 5.0 coyote, but in researching after I got rid of the ecoboost, you'll read frequently about cylinders wearing out of round at about 100k. It was common enough that there are videos on youtube out there from Ford mechanics warning people about that and to be vigilant and anal about maintenance.

Currently driving a half ton GMC that I picked up after I got rid of my Ecoboost. It's a good truck, I've enjoyed it, but it's a little under powered for what it is. I've got the 5.3, which GM has been using since the late 90's, so that gives some peace of mind. But nothing beats a Toyota for mechanical peace of mind.

Winnie

Lil-Rokslider
16 and 21 F150s. No issues with either. As important for mileage as the motor selection is the axle ratio. I have 3:55 gears in a CC long box 4X4. Overall I get 18-19. On the freeway, I get 20-23. My best is 25.2 on the freeway (74 mph) with a decent tailwind. I doubt I will consider any other truck when it becomes time to trade. The fuel savings alone makes it an easy decision for me.

I tow a fiberglass boat, an Ice Castle fish house, or a 8.5 X 16 enclosed trailer. It has more then enough power, but mileage does suffer (8-10pmg) when pulling (especially if you hit a headwind).

The f150 gets better mileage than most other trucks when it has the 10 speed transmission. I have a 2018 150 king ranch and the transmission sucks in my opinion. Very clunky as it seems to hunt for the right gear at times. Similar to what you’ll read on all the forums. I have the 3.5 eco boost and I love it, it pulls better than my former Nissan Titan did with the 5.7l v8

Can concur on '18 10 speed being clunky and hunting for the right gear. I own a 2016 3.5 EB w/ 6 speed and drove a company 2018 EB w/ 10 speed for 60k miles and the '16 is notably smoother in regards to shifting and finding the right gear. Not sure if they improved them since the 2018 model.

2015 F-150 2.7 Nano. I was a little nervous about the tiny displacement motor at first, but I don't tow anything large. It's pretty much a grandpa truck, crew cab has space for days. 3 kids have lots of room back there, and can throw the dogs in the back with the canopy. Camped in the back during elk season, no issue.
21.6 mpg combined. Towing a trailer with a quad through the mountains dropped it to 18.

I wasn't planning on keeping this truck very long, really had my eye on the 1/2T baby duramax GMC but I have zero reasons to get rid of the Ford.

JBrew

Lil-Rokslider
My last 2 have been a 21' Rebel and a 21' Tundra. Loved the Rebel but it had some electrical issues and would die in the middle of the road. Traded it on the Tundra with the upgrade pkg. It's plain jane on the inside but rides great and will pull anything you hook to it. The only thing I don't like about it is that it doesn't have a rear locker.