Keep my F150 or get a new 4Runner?

Keep the 2016 F150 or get a new 4Runner?

• Keep the paid off F150

Votes: 77 87.5%
  • Use the equity and get a 4Runner

Votes: 11 12.5%

• Total voters

slowelk

WKR
My wife and I bought a new 4Runner for her daily driver last fall. It's a nice car, but without a tow mode, it struggles to find the right gear to even tow an atv on an aluminum trailer. So if towing with any regularity is in your future, I'd stick with the truck.

I have a 2020 4runner and love it. Dont miss my truck..

I would definitely get one before they change the engine in 2023.

Ive had 2 4 runners, a 1999 that I drove until I got a 2019. The gas mileage sucks a$$ and the gas tanks are small. Thats the only con i have with the 4 runner. I really like the simplicity of the 4 runner not having all the gadgets and what not. Reliability has been great with both that I have owned. If it fits in your needs id say go for it.
You left out the horrible lack of power. I'm on my third.

Drive a F150 crew cab at work and owned a 4runner for a bit before I moved up to the Sequoia.

4runner all the way. Its what I would buy if I moved on to a new vehicle.

I have a 4Runner (2020) and a 2010 Tundra. We have thought of getting the wife a Rav Prime, I get the 4Runner, and my son gets the Tundra. However, I too big game and Upland Game hunt. I feel like the 4Runner is too small for all applications. Throw 2 full size coolers in the back with seats down and there's not a lot of space left. More than one dog kennel in a 4Runner would logistically suck. I have 2 GSPs Whenever, I go on my adventures I never once think of taking the 4Runner.
Tundra just works so much better for my needs. The 4Runner is fun for sure.

In the end we decided to have the wife keep the 4Runner. I'll get a new truck > maybe used b/c the prices are out of control. I can get a 2-3 year old Tundra for 40-45K. The MPG is less but how long will it take me to make up 20K to get the better gas mileage of the new Tundra. My son will get the 2010 Tundra.

When I was thinking I was going to takeover the 4Runner I had truck withdrawals just thinking about it. lol

So I’m debating cashing out the equity in my F150 to possibly get a vehicle I have always wanted … a Toyota 4Runner…

I bought the F150 new in 2016. XLT Super Crew 4x4 with 2.7L EcoBoost and currently 110k miles. It has a nice color matched fiberglass camper shell (topper) on it. Vehicle is paid off. It’s been a pretty good truck, no major issues ( had a diff leak fixed under warranty, a keyless entry pad fixed under warranty and the basic recall stuff over the years). It’s been my daily driver and hunting rig. I’ve taken good care of it and always done oil and fluid changes on time. I whitetail archery hunt, upland hunt, do some duck hunting, and am planning my first archery elk hunt this fall. I will tow a utility trailer, and will tow small duck and fishing boats from time to time. I will have two or maybe three dogs and kennels when upland hunting. I will have a portable treestand and sticks and jetsled when bow hunting. I will have shotguns and decoys and waders when duck hunting.

The pros of the Ford are huge amounts of room in the Super Crew, a covered bed to keep stinky, bloody, wet muddy stuff in, it’s paid off, and so far it’s been reliable. However, it’s got a ton of equity in this market and I could use that to get a vehicle I’ve always wanted…a Toyota 4 Runner. The main pro of the 4 Runner is the reliability of the truck, a bit smaller profile for daily driving, really good off road capabilities … while my F150 has been relaible so far, I’m concerned about how long that will last ( given it is a Turbo charged gas engine… but I don’t beat on the truck)…

Let me know ur thoughts and if I’m completely stupid for even thinking of doing this, lol
I own both a F150 Ecoboost and a 5th gen 4Runner. You’re not going to see any mileage improvements with the 4Runner, worse actually on the highway.

SWFLhntr

Lil-Rokslider
We Bought a 2021 just to get one before they update them. I think the current gen will really hold their value. It’s our third 4Runner. They just are what they are. Lots of pluses. Minuses being terribly slow and crap mileage. Just got back from the Blue Ridge mtns and it was just fantastic for a family of 4 and two dogs.

kda082

WKR
We have a 19 trd off road. Fun to drive short distance but tough adjustment coming from a full size truck. It’s my wife’s and we travel in the truck mostly.

Not going to be a popular opinion but here goes.

Cash out now, buy a cheap older Subaru that will still check most of the boxes and actually get decent MPG’s. When the recession hits full swing you can pickup a cheap 4-Runner after half of them get Repo’d.

OP
gostovp

gostovp

WKR
We Bought a 2021 just to get one before they update them. I think the current gen will really hold their value. It’s our third 4Runner. They just are what they are. Lots of pluses. Minuses being terribly slow and crap mileage. Just got back from the Blue Ridge mtns and it was just fantastic for a family of 4 and two dogs.
This actually was one of the reasons why I was thinking of getting one now… yeah it’s old tech but it’s gotta proven track record. Granted the 2.7L ecoBoost has been around since 2015 and there aren’t horror stories floating around regarding that engine either.

Txarcher

Lil-Rokslider
I have an F250 and an F150, wife has a 4Runner. Both Fords have over 200k miles and going strong, keep up on maintenance, not dog them and they will last. All my vehicles are paid for and recently sold a Tundra because I didn't drive it as much due to gas mileage. I wish I would have kept it. I want to buy my wife a new car so I can have the 4Runner but I cant justify it with the way vehicles are over priced. My dad bought a fully loaded 1 ton dually King Ranch for 80K at the start of Covid. He's been offered 150k for it and before they quit taking orders the same truck was at 200kish. The car market is out of whack right now with everything else. I wouldn't buy one unless I absolutely had to.

kda082

WKR
Just curious can you even find them now? I see most dealers have allocations only and ridiculous market adjusted price.

Just curious can you even find them now? I see most dealers have allocations only and ridiculous market adjusted price.
Right! I just spoke with a Toyota dealer the other day. I was excited b/c a Tundra I liked was MSRP 52K. He told me there is a dealer mark up due to supply/demand in addition to the MSRP. The markup is 5K. WTF?

My family drives toyota. My daughters drive a 4runner and a Rav4. Both were purchased new and are one year old. Fantastic vehicles.

My wife drives a 2005 4runner we purchased new, it has 107k miles on it and runs and drives as new. I will buy her a new one as soon as the supply chain silliness settles down a little.

I drive a 2011 tundra I purchased new. I put a leer topper on it when I bought it and love my rig.
I will buy a new tundra when I retire in 2 years just because I can. For hunting I could not imagine any less room. This truck is perfect for my truck camping.

My wife loves the 4runner for its size maneuverability and handling. It has been `an awesome vehicle and the 3rd 4runner we have owned since 1994. The tundra is my 4th toyota truck since my first in 1983. That being said we always take my tundra on any trips or errands. It 8s simply more comfortable and has a better ride than the 4runner. When we vacation I can haul the entire family's crap for a week easily in the tundra.

If it were me I'd sell the Ford and buy a new tundra. Just my opinion.

OP
gostovp

gostovp

WKR

Cash out now, buy a cheap older Subaru that will still check most of the boxes and actually get decent MPG’s. When the recession hits full swing you can pickup a cheap 4-Runner after half of them get Repo’d.
Actually not a dumb idea. Let’s say there is an economic downturn , it’s possible there will be late model used ones available for a better price, assuming inflation doesn’t go hypersonic ( from the full speed ahead it is now..), I could probably just keep my truck and just buy a 4Runner if that happens..,

Subaru?? I don't think 3 bird dog kennels are going to fit in the back of your wife's Subaru

Poser

WKR
I have a Sport Limited 4WD 4Runner: It’s a V8 that operates in AWD until you put it in 4low. Has lockers. It does great off-road, but as others said: small tank and not good mileage.

Evol

Lil-Rokslider
I put you should keep the ford but I know you want the 4runner and yolo. If you can find one at MSRP go for it.

You'll have equity and that 4runner will hold it's value.

If you want a compromise, the 23 sequoia looks pretty sweet. It has much more aggressive styling than the current sequia and honestly looks better than the new tundra IMO. You could also get a gx460 if you want the 4R with a little more power.08BE30FE-1EF6-4AB3-A706-5CA6DBF8CD13.jpeg

Dotninja

FNG
So I’m debating cashing out the equity in my F150 to possibly get a vehicle I have always wanted … a Toyota 4Runner…

I bought the F150 new in 2016. XLT Super Crew 4x4 with 2.7L EcoBoost and currently 110k miles. It has a nice color matched fiberglass camper shell (topper) on it. Vehicle is paid off. It’s been a pretty good truck, no major issues ( had a diff leak fixed under warranty, a keyless entry pad fixed under warranty and the basic recall stuff over the years). It’s been my daily driver and hunting rig. I’ve taken good care of it and always done oil and fluid changes on time. I whitetail archery hunt, upland hunt, do some duck hunting, and am planning my first archery elk hunt this fall. I will tow a utility trailer, and will tow small duck and fishing boats from time to time. I will have two or maybe three dogs and kennels when upland hunting. I will have a portable treestand and sticks and jetsled when bow hunting. I will have shotguns and decoys and waders when duck hunting.

The pros of the Ford are huge amounts of room in the Super Crew, a covered bed to keep stinky, bloody, wet muddy stuff in, it’s paid off, and so far it’s been reliable. However, it’s got a ton of equity in this market and I could use that to get a vehicle I’ve always wanted…a Toyota 4 Runner. The main pro of the 4 Runner is the reliability of the truck, a bit smaller profile for daily driving, really good off road capabilities … while my F150 has been relaible so far, I’m concerned about how long that will last ( given it is a Turbo charged gas engine… but I don’t beat on the truck)…

Let me know ur thoughts and if I’m completely stupid for even thinking of doing this, lol
4 runner is under powered .