Unfollowing Hunting Social Media Will Make Hunting Better: Matt Rinella Essay

Status
Not open for further replies.

KurtR

WKR
Not sure why that matters at all when talking about hunting. Wildlife should not be a source of income for corporations like exxon or Marriott hotels etc. Tourism is a waste of energy. Outfitters can get creative or find another business where their income is not reliant on hunting.
Now we’re on the get rid of all outfitters train. Seems to me all you want is everything for your self and screw anyone else. No better than the influencers your rallying against.

Now we’re on the get rid of all outfitters train. Seems to me all you want is everything for your self and screw anyone else. No better than the influencers your rallying against.
I don't think I have a strong opinion either way. Can you give me a good reason to support outfitters? Genuinely asking...

Im thinking about restarting the Depublicize, Deglorify, Demonitize social media campaign I suspended a year ago. It’d be devoted to many of the themes touched on in this thread and my Free Range American article. If some of you are concerned about loud-mouths on the web that hunt for shitty reasons, corporations trying to turn people into hunter-customers despite public lands already being severely over hunted, and hunting nonprofits caring more about using R3 to generate dues and satisfy corporate sponsors than serve the existing hunting community, then maybe we could team up and work on it together. I’m pretty run down from all the negative publicity and family problems speaking out has caused me, so I need some support and help if I’m going to keep going with this stuff.

I have some ideas on where to go next. Here are a few of them.

-A letter signed by thousands of hunters sent to all the hunting shows and major influencers asking them to stop filming on overrun federal land. It could say something like “We love that you hunt here, but we want to reserve precious hunting opportunity for those that hunt for the right reasons, so please leave your camera home.”

-Pressure on nonprofits to abandon R3.

-Satirical videos and/or awareness campaigns to discourage people that use dead animals to make statements about themselves to strangers on the internet.

-Track how much hunting companies spend in support of access and habitat and encourage people to buy from those that spend the most.

Please feel free to email me at [email protected] if you want to kick around ideas and be involved.

KurtR

WKR
I don't think I have a strong opinion either way. Can you give me a good reason to support outfitters? Genuinely asking...
They clear alot of trails that other wise would be over run is one I can think of. I’m not into taking peoples livelihood start banning one industry what’s next logging? Tourism is huge that employs lots of people not just outfitter’s

Im thinking about restarting the Depublicize, Deglorify, Demonitize social media campaign I suspended a year ago. It’d be devoted to many of the themes touched on in this thread and my Free Range American article. If some of you are concerned about loud-mouths on the web that hunt for shitty reasons, corporations trying to turn people into hunter-customers despite public lands already being severely over hunted, and hunting nonprofits caring more about using R3 to generate dues and satisfy corporate sponsors than serve the existing hunting community, then maybe we could team up and work on it together. I’m pretty run down from all the negative publicity and family problems speaking out has caused me, so I need some support and help if I’m going to keep going with this stuff.

I have some ideas on where to go next. Here are a few of them.

-A letter signed by thousands of hunters sent to all the hunting shows and major influencers asking them to stop filming on overrun federal land. It could say something like “We love that you hunt here, but we want to reserve precious hunting opportunity for those that hunt for the right reasons, so please leave your camera home.”

-Pressure on nonprofits to abandon R3.

-Satirical videos and/or awareness campaigns to discourage people that use dead animals to make statements about themselves to strangers on the internet.

-Track how much hunting companies spend in support of access and habitat and encourage people to buy from those that spend the most.

Please feel free to email me at [email protected] if you want to kick around ideas and be involved.
I feel like all of those are valid...

I was joking about the ultimatum on the podcast. That said, Steve uninvited me for Christmas.

Oof… I feel like being in your position you have “seen behind the curtain” with a lot of this stuff. Sometimes that’s not always pretty.

I do commend you for speaking your mind. I hope you and Steve can work through it and find common ground. I’ve been a fan of your brothers for a long time and likewise have really enjoyed the content you have participated in as well. I think part of the appeal is both of you seem like just genuinely good dudes and someone fun to enjoy camp or a beer with while also being educated and articulate.

As I’ve said before, I think you started a very important conversation. That said I can also put myself in Steve’s shoes as someone trying to run a business and provide for a family. I can’t speak for him (obviously), but I’d imagine he started as a guy who just wanted to make a living hunting and fishing, and never imagined he’d be in the position of success and influence that he is today.

If we grind right down too it, I don’t think you two are all that far off in what you ultimately want for hunting in this country, or at least I hope not. I hope that becomes apparent to both of you in time, and I hope you can ultimately work together to make hunting better for all of us.

Last edited:

mwebs

WKR
That’s not my stance at all. I favor disincentivizing hunting for money and fame by making the posting of dead game to strangers taboo. Also, I oppose efforts to influence people to hunt in order to sell them products. Considerations of profit should play no role in inspiring people to hunt. I’m fine living with whatever crowding remains after we strip away the untraditional incentives.

Interesting thread and this is exactly what needs to happen. There’s a difference between inspiring people to appreciate and start hunting and pimping to sell gear and subscriptions. That’s all these guys are doing at this point and it’s disappointing.

BDRam16

WKR
Because there are people out there who wouldn't otherwise be able to enjoy this experience. I disagree with people being able to pay insane amounts of money to purchase tags others cannot. But if someone builds up points and isn't able to physically do it on their own, who are you to prevent them from experiencing something like that? I don't think that outfitters should be given large tracts of public land to basically turn into private hunting grounds, and there seems to be many shady individuals out there. But I don't think it justifies calling for an end to all outfitters.

BuzzH

WKR
Because there are people out there who wouldn't otherwise be able to enjoy this experience. I disagree with people being able to pay insane amounts of money to purchase tags others cannot. But if someone builds up points and isn't able to physically do it on their own, who are you to prevent them from experiencing something like that? I don't think that outfitters should be given large tracts of public land to basically turn into private hunting grounds, and there seems to be many shady individuals out there. But I don't think it justifies calling for an end to all outfitters.
Would be nice if outfitters provided one penny of funding to the various game and fish agencies.

They take with both hands and give nothing back.

Sportsmen stock the shelves with their hard earned dollars outfitters plunder our public assets for profit.

Also, there is no reason to lower the bar so more uncommitted people can experience hunting. Should we lower the green monster in Fenway so more people can send one out of the park?

BDRam16

WKR
Would be nice if outfitters provided one penny of funding to the various game and fish agencies.

Sportsmen stock the shelves with their hard earned dollars outfitters plunder our public assets for profit.

Also, there is no reason to lower the bar so more uncommitted people can experience hunting. Should we lower the green monster in Fenway so more people can send one out of the park?
I’m not saying we lower the bar for “uncommitted people”, but you might think differently when you’re up there in age and would love to go on one more western hunt while you still can. It’s a pretty awful attitude to be willing to exclude people from something just because you are able to do it better than them. There’s no dollar amount I wouldn’t pay to be able to ride a horse into the mountains and go elk hunting with my dad just one time. Unfortunately, I missed that window.

And I’m not advocating for outfitters. I understand that many of them give hunting a bad name. I’m just saying, you can’t just say there’s no place for them because you think that if someone can’t do it alone, they don’t deserve to do it.

Maybe Travis Swartz aka Hank Patterson would make a video like this? Seems like his arena, he very recently made a satirical video about people hot spotting fishing locations.

KurtR

WKR

There were only 1026 people who made a roster last year in the mlb. So your saying only a few elite people should hunt. How do we judge if people are committed enough? Do we need a list of standards that need to be met maybe a hell week of some sort . Do you need to pass commitment test for small game and waterfowl or is this just a big game issue?

BuzzH

WKR
There were only 1026 people who made a roster last year in the mlb. So your saying only a few elite people should hunt. How do we judge if people are committed enough? Do we need a list of standards that need to be met maybe a hell week of some sort . Do you need to pass commitment test for small game and waterfowl or is this just a big game issue?
I'm just curious how low the bar should be. Rifles during archery? Wouldn't want to be make it too tough on those that have a hard time with a bow.

Paving wilderness?

More roads so nobody has to walk far?

Game and fish provided corn flingers to those that aren't up to the challenge? Providing food plots for the public?

Maybe the game and fish setting up blinds.... glassing for hunters?

I say hunting isn't for everyone, you either cut it or stay home. Hunt within your abilities but quit expecting the easy button when you can't hack it.

Status
Not open for further replies.