The toughest goodbye

Fullfan

WKR
Sure sucks no doubt. Shame they don’t live for ever, and good thing they can not talk. Jump right back on the dog waggon. My boxer died and gave me 13 great years. Miss him every day. His replacement has eased the pain, and has become a good friend.

Sorry for your loss. Hurts every time they go, but I would not want a life without a dog.

”We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare, and love we can spare. And in return they give us their all. It’s the best deal man has ever made” Margery Facklam

Plainsman79

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry for your loss, they truly are man’s best friend and a gift from above.
We said goodbye to our Golden almost 6 weeks ago. Although it gets easier, you don’t know how much you expect them to be in their “spots” until they aren’t.

9EC0CEC4-5422-4B9D-9E5E-62A7AD47F8CA.jpeg

Lelder

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry for your loss of Moose.
Dogs are a short part of our life and we are there whole life. It looks like your dogs life was full of love and happiness

Duxhunter

FNG
I feel for you! I lost my lab in Jan 2014 but lucky had a deposit on another one in Dec 13. I decided i couldn’t bare getting the new pup but my wife insisted. It was the best decision ever I love the new pup even more and he never leaves my side. Do yourself and a puppy a favor and get another one. Think of this way that there is a puppy out there deserving of your love. It help heal but you will never forget Moose.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AZmark

WKR
I know where your coming from. Made me tear up again thinking about my last 2 and one of my sons we had to let go back in June. When we explained to my 7 yo grandson what had to be done he wanted to go with my son to the vet and afterwards we buried him in our familys pet cemetery, grandson learned a big lesson of life that day. About a month later I helped grandson make a engraved wooden sign and he burned the letters in and hung it on the tree by the grave.

My current best friend is in my Avatar and a great hunting buddy. I dread the day when her time is up.

The pain of a fine dog's death is not the same as other losses. It's a pain which endures along with sadness until....hopefully....it settles into a poignant memory that brings a smile and a tear. The better and more loved the dog, the more severe the hurt. It's a good measuring stick any of us can take pride and comfort in. It's all good in the end. I only feel sorry for those who have never or will never have loved and lost such a companion.

Much respect and appreciation to you for sharing this Brad. May your days ahead be sunny and the trail less difficult.

Kevin

Moneyball

WKR
I have a very well respected friend and mentor trainer who is in his 70s and has dedicated his life to dogs and dog training.

He once told me “when you get a dog you have to go into it with the understanding that HOPEFULLY you will out live them.”

Really sucks losing one no matter how you look at it.

Good luck CN

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RUM61

FNG
They give us a whole lot of really good days, followed by one very terrible day but I couldn’t live without them. Sorry for your loss and don’t replace him, just help another one to have a great life.

Saying goodbye to a loving and loyal dog is one of the hardest things to do. They are such great companions. I think about all the times it's cold and shitty outside and my dog and I are always out there waling, working, hiking, etc. I know for certain I wouldn't be out there alone. I can't imagine not having my dog by my side. That being said, once she passes I am torn to get another one because I don't want to deal with the loss again. Additionally, I have a four year old daughter and a one year old daughter who love our dog. I can't imagine what they will do when she passes. My pup is only 8 so hopefully we have many more years ahead.

Sorry for your loss! Mourning sucks > I hate it. I always look forward to the moment when I can think of my pet without pain but can finally enjoy and smile at the wonderful memories.

We had to put our family cat down about 2 months ago. I wasn't the chosen one. Cat owners know what I mean. Damm that was incredibly hard to take him to the vet to be put down. He had a stroke, or mass, not sure. Still sad when I think about that guy!!

I'm getting a new GSP next week. Our 2nd. My wife and kids love the name Moose!! I had a different name in mind but I was coming around on Moose. Really is a great field name. I was meant to see this post. Moose it is and I will certainly remember the pic of your beautiful boy Moose.

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
All of the replies are truly appreciated. It’s been a somber, quiet time in the house that past few days. Especially since it was just Moose and I.

Hard to imagine how an old dog that slept a lot can leave such a void.

I don’t think I can get another dog for awhile. My time with Moose isn’t over quite yet.

Here is a couple pics of my son and Moose. One from a long time ago and one in Moose’s final minutes

A7C51EDF-0DD4-4B77-A163-31392300FF84.jpeg1AD5617F-B470-4FDE-860D-70845EFFB820.jpeg

KurtR

WKR
Sorry for the loss. Have 2 that i had to put down never gets easier. Still get teared up thinking about them but the new puppy helps remember all the good times.