Introducing a puppy into the family with an older dog

Finch

WKR
We are dog people, always have been. Our current dog is 14.5 years old and she still seems to enjoy life but does have some arthritis/mobility issues. We've been thinking about adding a golden retriever puppy to the mix. A year ago, I would have said no but something has changed in me. On one hand, I'm afraid the pup will aggravate the living snot out of our old girl. The other part of me wonders if it will give new life to our old dog. I think it will also make things easier on the kids when our current dog passes.

Thoughts?

Wellsdw

WKR
worst decision I’ve ever made with a dog. He’s been loyal. Give him you undivided attention. A Puppy needs you undivided attention as well. Another aspect would be start shopping for a dog, meaning visit breeders, get on some list or place a deposit for a dog that maybe 1-2 years out. My next dog will probably come from a breeder that’s 3+ out.

OP
Finch

Finch

WKR
worst decision I’ve ever made with a dog. He’s been loyal. Give him you undivided attention. A Puppy needs you undivided attention as well. Another aspect would be start shopping for a dog, meaning visit breeders, get on some list or place a deposit for a dog that maybe 1-2 years out. My next dog will probably come from a breeder that’s 3+ out.
I didn't mention one thing and it's probably the driving factor. I found a breeder who only charges $300 for golden puppies. My boss just bought one and had it genetically checked. Everything is on the up and up. That price is unheard for a GR pup. They have another litter that will be ready in a few months.

tje803

FNG
We have a chocolate lab that's 13 and a black lab that's 1. Initially our chocolate lab wanted nothing to do with the puppy for the first couple weeks after we brought the puppy home. Slowly our chocolate lab warmed up to the puppy and now they're great together. I do think it's important that your older dog is able to stand up for itself and bark or growl when it wants to be left alone. Even though our two dogs play together throughout the day, at least once or twice a day the older one will growl when she just wants to be left alone. I've always felt that getting a puppy when you have an older dog can be a great way for some of the good behaviors of your older dog to wear off on the puppy. It's pretty easy taking a puppy in the woods, when that puppy is following around your older dog that will always come when it's called.

OP
Finch

Finch

WKR
We have a chocolate lab that's 13 and a black lab that's 1. Initially our chocolate lab wanted nothing to do with the puppy for the first couple weeks after we brought the puppy home. Slowly our chocolate lab warmed up to the puppy and now they're great together. I do think it's important that your older dog is able to stand up for itself and bark or growl when it wants to be left alone. Even though our two dogs play together throughout the day, at least once or twice a day the older one will growl when she just wants to be left alone. I've always felt that getting a puppy when you have an older dog can be a great way for some of the good behaviors of your older dog to wear off on the puppy. It's pretty easy taking a puppy in the woods, when that puppy is following around your older dog that will always come when it's called.

Our dog definitely doesn't have an issue letting other dogs know when they've crossed the line. She's only "friends" with a couple of the neighborhood dogs for this reason. Boundaries were established and are obeyed. I do know puppies can be pretty damn relentless though.

tje803

FNG
I see your point, but I think it definitely can depend on the breed and the temperament of your older dog.

P dog

FNG
We got a new puppy in September. Have an eight year old as well. Both are female German Shorthair's. At first the older one was visibly irritated but now they get along great. The best teacher for the young one has been the older dog. Last weekend while hunting pheasants they were both honor pointing each other and the pup has been retrieving great, which is not all that common in shorthair's. The older dog does it perfect and the pup has learned from her. My advise, don't wait...get one!

IMO getting a puppy and all that comes with raising a new pup, is much easier when you have an older dog currently. If you do it correctly the pup will look up to/emulate the older dog making training and everything else much easier with a young puppy.

Scoot

WKR
I see your point, but I think it definitely can depend on the breed and the temperament of your older dog.
Hmmm... seems like the OP is saying in the post immediately above yours that his dog's temperament might not be one that tolerates much of what a puppy will have to offer?

Yoder

WKR
I had two Goldens. We had to put the older one down last year. Our younger dog was 8 yrs old at the time. After about a month, we decided to get another Golden Retriever puppy. When we first brought her home, my dog hated her. Growling, snapping at her, wanted nothing to do with her. It took about a month or two for her to tolerate the new puppy. She's a year old now and she harasses the living hell out of my older dog. The puppy completely dominates my older dog. I don't know if that will keep her active and help her live longer or make her want to run away.

IW17

FNG
More often than not a puupy isn't going to be much of an issue with an older dog. I've been through this several times and I've come to the conclusion that young puppies just typically don't bring out the worst in a dog the way that bringing home an older dog would. With rescues, you definitely need to be a a bit more cautious and let them interact with each other in a neutral location before bringing them home. Puppies aren't dominant and don't have aggressive tendencies, so mostly it's just a manner of allowing them to feel each other out and let the older dog establish their places in the pecking order.

Im currently in the midst of this myself, with our older female and a new young male puppy. She's lazy and definitely gets snippy with him when he interrupts her 5th nap of the day, but other than the occasional scolding, she's fine. And she's a dog that has on more than one occasion got into it with friends dogs who are grown.

If you really want to be certain, talk to the breeder about bringing home something that smells like the puppy, and then meeting up somewhere to introduce them and see how they do. I can't imagine any legitimate breeder having a problem with making sure the home they're sending one of their dogs to is going to be a compatible one.

jimh406

WKR
It has a lot to do with the temperament of both. Two females or two males can be a lot of work to get along.

The initial price of the dog isn't much compared to the long term cost.

Wellsdw

WKR
I’d agree with that. I deal in high drive maniac working dogs. They are my biggest hobby, and side job during hunting season. But that said I think often this is just how folks justify buying a dog, and end up regretting it because neither dog get the attention they need. And I’m gonna preface this next statement with some sarcasm, but this is rokslide. Where people shoot their 4K “rigs” at 100lb antelope. I wouldn’t be worried about saving money if it means getting the right dog at the RIGHT time. That’s not saying that free dogs aren’t good. I got a Rescue that is great companion.

KurtR

WKR
I didn't mention one thing and it's probably the driving factor. I found a breeder who only charges $300 for golden puppies. My boss just bought one and had it genetically checked. Everything is on the up and up. That price is unheard for a GR pup. They have another litter that will be ready in a few months.
Are you going to hunt with this dog? Goldens have damn near been ruined by pet breeders both for hunting and health.

OP
Finch

Finch

WKR
Are you going to hunt with this dog? Goldens have damn near been ruined by pet breeders both for hunting and health.

No, strictly a family pet. Playing with kids, going on vacations/camping trips, etc.

sndmn11

WKR
We have an almost 6yo sweetheart of a WPG and are picking up an 8 week old PP/GWP mix this weekend. I can't imagine that the puppy won't get walloped if she is being a turd and it will probably be beneficial for both. My guess is that the older dog won't pay much attention to the puppy for a few weeks.

An adult or teenage dog might be a different story, but the puppy should learn the rules pretty quick.

survivalistd

Lil-Rokslider
Puppies definitely learn quickly. They will try and push the limits again, but only a few times. Pecking order will be figured out.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

CMP70306

Lil-Rokslider

That would be my concern, I’m in PA and the only goldens you can get for $300 are the inbred genetic nightmares you get from the Amish.

I just got a golden in June and she was $3,400 for one with a solid history and all the paperwork from hunting and working lines.

IMG_9213.jpeg

Yoder

WKR
I'm in PA and I paid $1700 last year for my puppy. My second was $1500 8 years ago and my first Golden was about 12 years ago and we got her for $500. Chloe, the dog I "only" paid $500 for was the six million dollar dog. I spent several thousand dollars on her over the years for skin allergies and cancer. We finally had to put her down. She was the best dog I ever had but she had a lot of health issues. Just something to maybe ask about.