Introducing a puppy into the family with an older dog

robcollins

Lil-Rokslider
I do disposition tests on a whole litter of pups. The first is to have the whole bunch in a group and call them. The placement I look for is the middle of the group, independent but not oblivious. This approach would benefit the older dog too...

I personally have had 2 bird dogs always through my childhood. When I was 5, we had a litter, we kept one, but while she was a great hunter, she was a pain with her mom, who was the best pointing/retrieving dog I've ever seen. Subsequent pups exhausted her. I remember the look on her face, and her retreating to the top of the doghouse to get away...

If you do, pick a middle of the pack pup and spoil the shit out of your old dog, and set boundaries for the pup, and consider crate training....

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

robcollins

Lil-Rokslider
Are you going to hunt with this dog? Goldens have damn near been ruined by pet breeders both for hunting and health.
I don't buy that necessarily. Neither of my 2 Doodles were from hunting stock, 6wk pups loved a pheasant wing, and both retrieved doves, grouse too...

My Golden Doodles were Mutts, by definition. Puppy mills and inbreeding certainly drive what you're describing though Kurt....

KurtR

WKR
I don't buy that necessarily. Neither of my 2 Doodles were from hunting stock, 6wk pups loved a pheasant wing, and both retrieved doves, grouse too...

My Golden Doodles were Mutts, by definition. Puppy mills and inbreeding certainly drive what you're describing though Kurt....

If you are involved in any level of retrievers the goldens are few and far between. I am amazed at the price people pay for the doodles. Its odd to me that some one will pay thousands for a dog with nothing proven in either pedigree. Why not just get a standard poodle from good healthy lines. The watering down of both breeds does nothing to help.

robcollins

Lil-Rokslider
If you are involved in any level of retrievers the goldens are few and far between. I am amazed at the price people pay for the doodles. Its odd to me that some one will pay thousands for a dog with nothing proven in either pedigree. Why not just get a standard poodle from good healthy lines. The watering down of both breeds does nothing to help.
I've had 2 Doodles that were both birdy. I believe nature as far as disposition, trainability, reaction to bird scent, but exposure to birds has to happen. I've seen great pedigreed dogs have behavior problems. I've seen field "winning" trial dogs screw up hunts ranging too far, blowing out birds, and ultimately fighting with a porcupine while the owner, who was "into" dog training, was scratching his head. He spent more that day on vet bills AFTER we spent hours pulling quills than I spent on a pup, even a Gucci soccer mom doodle.

The family picked the breed, I picked the pups, trained the pups. My dog hunts close, finds birds we'd walk by, and brings them back. Doodles aren't the answer. I've seen blue heelers that have outdone retrievers on wild birds.

Picking a pup that's trainable, starting with obedience, moving to retrieving, and keeping the wife and kids from doing stupid stuff like feeding from the table and giving stuffed animal toys and playing tug-o-war is the path.

This guy wants a house pet anyway... Advice there would be the same, but without the bird stuff. I couldn't help squirting pheasant scent on a dummy and dragging it around the yard, hide and seek is my dog's favorite...

KurtR

WKR
I've had 2 Doodles that were both birdy. I believe nature as far as disposition, trainability, reaction to bird scent, but exposure to birds has to happen. I've seen great pedigreed dogs have behavior problems. I've seen field "winning" trial dogs screw up hunts ranging too far, blowing out birds, and ultimately fighting with a porcupine while the owner, who was "into" dog training, was scratching his head. He spent more that day on vet bills AFTER we spent hours pulling quills than I spent on a pup, even a Gucci soccer mom doodle.

The family picked the breed, I picked the pups, trained the pups. My dog hunts close, finds birds we'd walk by, and brings them back. Doodles aren't the answer. I've seen blue heelers that have outdone retrievers on wild birds.

Picking a pup that's trainable, starting with obedience, moving to retrieving, and keeping the wife and kids from doing stupid stuff like feeding from the table and giving stuffed animal toys and playing tug-o-war is the path.

This guy wants a house pet anyway... Advice there would be the same, but without the bird stuff. I couldn't help squirting pheasant scent on a dummy and dragging it around the yard, hide and seek is my dog's favorite...

The health issues that i have seen with every doodle from allergies and hip dysplasia are way to numerous. Most of the breeders dont do any genetic testing that should come with being a good breeder and trying to better the breed. Family pet or FC why would you not hedge your bet with good breeding it sucks having a sick dog that dies way to early due to reasons that could have been avoided with responsible breeding.

I always chuckle people say field trial dogs but Im guessing its the word of the person who owns the dog. Getting a FC in any breed of dog is not just something that happens. What was the name of the dog that was" this winning trial dog" that had no recall. In what games does this dog have wins. What kind of dog was it that will at least narrow it down a little bit.

What about the bird that sails 200 yards across the field after being shot? Does the doodle go get that one