Introducing a puppy into the family with an older dog

I had a 12 year old golden. When I retired him from hunting I got a lab puppy to train up. The puppy did pester the older dog but they worked it out themselves. And there was peace in household once again.

adieatrick

Lil-Rokslider
We were in the same boat and it 100% was for the better. Sure, initially the older one wanted nothing to do with the pup. He was laying around all of the time and was slow to get around, however, after a few weeks with the pup I truly believe it extended the older ones life. It has been two years now, but the older one (14 now) plays with younger one and they are two peas in a pod. I am worried the pup (now 2) will be lost when the older one passes.

I am very attached to my dogs and honestly it was my wife pushing for a second. She said she was worried if we did not get another while the older one was alive, that we wouldn't get another....and she was probably right. We will always be a two dog house from here on out.

june-bug

FNG
Best decision I ever made. I have a 5 year old extremely high drive, working Blue Lacy that has been a wonderful tracking dog. We bought an Australian Shepherd pup a year or so ago. Of course the Lacy was a little weird about it at first but that only lasted about a week. They are best buds and the Aussie learned so quickly to follow along with the Lacy and do everything that she does it was unbelievable. These dogs would now be lost without each other.

MattB

WKR
We like having 2 dogs and actually go from 2 to 3 to 2 rather than from 2 to 1 to 2. Our experience is dogs exercise dogs better than we do, and the new dog trains faster by observing the older dogs.

We generally buy a puppy before our older one/s are geriatric. Our limited experience is old dogs (10+) have less patience with puppies than dogs more in their prime. We also alternate sexes as we’ve been told by multiple breeders that having two males or two females may result in fights trying to establish dominance.

KurtR

WKR
We like having 2 dogs and actually go from 2 to 3 to 2 rather than from 2 to 1 to 2. Our experience is dogs exercise dogs better than we do, and the new dog trains faster by observing the older dogs.

We generally buy a puppy before our older one/s are geriatric. Our limited experience is old dogs (10+) have less patience with puppies than dogs more in their prime. We also alternate sexes as we’ve been told by multiple breeders that having two males or two females may result in fights trying to establish dominance.
What kind of dogs? Never had a problem with labs have only owned males. i could see pointing dogs learning from other dogs but it doesnt work that way in the retriever world

MattB

WKR
What kind of dogs? Never had a problem with labs have only owned males. i could see pointing dogs learning from other dogs but it doesnt work that way in the retriever world
Boxers and GSP’s.

When I mention “training” I am referring to basic obedience and house rules, which would be relevant to the OP’s situation.

TSAMP

WKR
I find basic obedience and house training in general much more difficult than actual gundog work, at least for my use case, no field trial fancy stuff.

I can see why folks have outdoor kennel dogs only.

KurtR

WKR
I really enjoy the young dog stuff they learn so quick. The basic obedience with a food driven pup is really easy when using it as a marker. Alot of people just dont take the time and dont hold the standard in the house that creates bad habits. If some one wants to really learn Pat Nolan is great at imprinting a puppy. He has worked with both pointy ear dogs and retrievers. The puppy stuff is good for any person that wants a well behaved dog that everyone enjoys being around.

Apex_2024

FNG
My male passed away in March and it was heart breaking he was my boy and I loved him more then anyone. A new puppy litter was born 2 weeks after the passing of my boy and 8 weeks after I bought him and he is a handful lol but, I love him very much. Our 6 year old was a bit reluctant at first but, now their inseparable.

We have 4 dogs. 12, 6, almost 2 years old and just got a puppy that is 14 weeks old. the older two didnt want much to do with her until the last week or so. they still act like they dont like her inside but outside i see them both playing with her.

COJoe

Lil-Rokslider
IMG_7056 Medium.jpeg

This was about 22 year sago when we brought home our new lab puppy to meet our old lab, so glad to capture the initial greeting. She thought he was her dad I guess because he was also a chocolate lab. She respected him and they were best buddies from the start but he only lasted a couple more years before he became too crippled up and had to be put down. Too much grouse and duck hunting and fishing trips I guess in Alaska took a toll on his body. Best hunting/fishing buddy ever for me even at terribly cold temps. I picked him up for free in Tok, AK at 10 months old in 1994. I suppose every situation is different though.