Suppressor Weight Gain

slowelk

WKR
I’ve been shooting suppressed for a little over a year. First suppressor was a CGS Hyperion K, which now has slightly over 800 documented rounds on it. When new it weighed the advertised amount - 10.6oz. Now it weighs 11.6oz. An ounce of weight gain in relatively few rounds seems like a lot.

What is the rokslide brain trust’s experience with weight gain on their suppressors. Is there an impact to suppression?

I have read and heard that cleaning isn’t necessary, but if I can drop weight by cleaning, I’d be happy to do it.

Attachments

• IMG_1878.jpeg
    IMG_1878.jpeg
    293.5 KB · Views: 16
OP
slowelk

slowelk

WKR

Good link, I had read that in the past but forgotten about it.

Suppressors make rifles materially heavier, so accepting additional 10, 20, 30 percent weight gain isn't something I'm excited about.

I also have a message out to CGS. I'll update with what they respond with.

Lawnboi

WKR
I clean mine every +1 ounce because it takes very little work at that point. For me that’s normally 1k rounds but depends on what I’m shooting.

Do they require cleaning? Probably not for a while. But I do so mainly to avoid carbon in my action. Have had issues with carbon falling down when going from rifle to rifle, especially rifles with very different muzzle pressure. Carbon chunks to the point it was a head scratcher figuring out how they even fit down the bore.

I also don’t see the point in paying for alightweight suppressor and then being okay with ounces of carbon.

Do a couple soak and rise clr cycles, and be prepared the first time you shoot it to have a lot of the residual carbon breaking free.

OP
slowelk

slowelk

WKR
I clean mine every +1 ounce because it takes very little work at that point. For me that’s normally 1k rounds but depends on what I’m shooting.

Do they require cleaning? Probably not for a while. But I do so mainly to avoid carbon in my action. Have had issues with carbon falling down when going from rifle to rifle, especially rifles with very different muzzle pressure. Carbon chunks to the point it was a head scratcher figuring out how they even fit down the bore.

I also don’t see the point in paying for alightweight suppressor and then being okay with ounces of carbon.

Do a couple soak and rise clr cycles, and be prepared the first time you shoot it to have a lot of the residual carbon breaking free.

We are on the same page.

Tell me more about your soak and rinse cycles. Time soaking with CLR, rinsing with hot water until water runs clear, or?

What is the rokslide brain trust’s experience with weight gain on their suppressors. Is there an impact to suppression?

It might be marginally quieter now vs when you bought it. Its mostly carbon and inefficiently burned powder. Ultrasonic cleaner would do the trick. Depending on cleaner used you might strip the finish but ceracote is cheap and easy to apply

Lawnboi

WKR
We are on the same page.

Tell me more about your soak and rinse cycles. Time soaking with CLR, rinsing with hot water until water runs clear, or?

I followed Tbac recommendation on 8 hour soak in clr, the. A real hot water rinse with some tapping. You will see chunks coming out.

I put an ear plug in the muzzle end, set it upright in a gallon jug, and filled it. Be warned it will bubble alot so be ready for some overflow.

With the end cap on that suppressor I’d bet a couple soak and rinse cycles followed by a few shots with that end off will knock anything leftover loose.

Thee reason to get an all titanium suppressor. Clr is cheap

OP
slowelk

slowelk

WKR
I followed Tbac recommendation on 8 hour soak in clr, the. A real hot water rinse with some tapping. You will see chunks coming out.

I put an ear plug in the muzzle end, set it upright in a gallon jug, and filled it. Be warned it will bubble alot so be ready for some overflow.

With the end cap on that suppressor I’d bet a couple soak and rinse cycles followed by a few shots with that end off will knock anything leftover loose.

Thee reason to get an all titanium suppressor. Clr is cheap

You're saying to remove the end cap, right?

OP
slowelk

slowelk

WKR
I would for the first few shots, idk if Cgs suggests it or not. Anything left over is going to break loose with a few shots.

Thanks for sharing. I'll see and share what CGS says.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Here is a podcast with Thunderbeast owners. They talk about CLR and cleaning Titanium suppressors.

It’s good to keep up regular cleaning so it goes faster was the message I got.

Juan_ID

WKR
Interesting, I never weighed either of mine and have not cleaned them yet and they’ve been shot quite a fair bit…

OP
slowelk

slowelk

WKR
CGS recommends a new product, CAT206 - https://specterscat.com/product/cat206/. Weird company for sure, but they seem legitimate and were responsive to my questions.

CGS cans are DLC coated, so can soak completely in the solvent vs just being filled. The solvent will eat cerakote. With it being so expensive I plan on just filling the can. Specters Cat also says for my amount of weight gain, they'd recommend 1-3 hours, and no need to remove the end cap, just ensure that the can is dry after rinsing out the solution.

I've ordered the solvent and will report back with results.

OP
slowelk

slowelk

WKR
Dang they don’t give that away. Did they say clr was a no go?

They said any Ti safe solvent would work, including CLR, but this CAT206 was the fastest, most efficient cleaner in that it only needs one soak and wouldn't require any firing without the end cap to remove remaining carbon. I might still fire a few rounds without the end cap before sealing it back up.