Gunwerks 6ix+, AB Raptor Eight Stack, CGS Hyperion K, Thunder Beast Dominus

BjornF16

WKR
My LGS had a SilencerCo day along with some FLIR scope company...so I got to shoot the Scythe mounted to a 6.5-284 and had immediate envy.

When things settle down in my life, I will be ordering a Scythe. Meanwhile, I'm digging my recently released Raptor 8 .375 on my 375 H&H

CentennialState

Lil-Rokslider
I know some of you mention the Scythe is on sale occasionally (I havent seen it, but perhaps I'm not looking in the right place??); the question is this: Is the Scythe worth ~$400 more than the DD STi or is it a matter of preference and splitting hairs?

I know some of you mention the Scythe is on sale occasionally (I havent seen it, but perhaps I'm not looking in the right place??); the question is this: Is the Scythe worth ~$400 more than the DD STi or is it a matter of preference and splitting hairs?
The scythe is slightly shorter/lighter and reduces sound/recoil better, but you bring up a good point. I guess it just depends on what you value more. The DD cans are a great deal for sure

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
On those testing with AB Raptors & reflex - are the reflex standard (for up to 3/4” diameter) or bull (up to 1” barrel diameter)?

The standard has more volume - does it make a difference? I ask because I’m waiting on a Raptor 6 & 8 with a 2” and 4” reflex. I ordered bull reflex and I’m debating switching to standard. They will be going on 7prcs w/24” #5 contour Benchmark barrels. Since we cut 2” off the barrel that was .7od I went bull to be safe and in case I ever go with a carbon barrel. But the snug fit and more volume may be better. I can swap them out, but only if unfired. I’ll post the can/reflex combos once I get them. Is it worth switching to the standard size is my question. Or is the difference too little to notice? Silly u can’t buy multiple reflexs to test.
I'd be nice if AB did a head to head test with all these sometime so you could compare how they performed in the same scenario.

They did one video with some info but didn't state if the reflex were standard or bull. In that test the apples/apples measurement setup:
6.5 creed w/ flush R8 = 129.9
6.5 creed w/ R8 & 3" = 127.7
6.5 creed w/ R6 & 2" = 131.4

308 w/ flush R8 = 130.2
308 w/ R8 & 3" = 128.6
308 w/ R6 & 2" = 131.6

So for sure go with whatever Raptor length you can tolerate cause that is where the weight/noise bang for the buck is but since it does have the reflex options which do knock down things a bit more it'd be nice to know what we're working with. I bought a R8 & 3" bull for versatility (so far I like it, limited use but 3 deer down with it) but if someone was getting into multiples knowing what standard vs bull and 2" vs 5" delivers would be handy.

NSI

WKR
The big issue with buying suppressors is support over time. That tax stamp is a B**ch and it's handy to have a can made by a company with a strong history that portends a strong future. I'd love to have one of the new cans by the ex-form 1 companies, but just don't have the confidence in the longevity of the companies to risk a tax stamp.

-J

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The big issue with buying suppressors is support over time. That tax stamp is a B**ch and it's handy to have a can made by a company with a strong history that portends a strong future. I'd love to have one of the new cans by the ex-form 1 companies, but just don't have the confidence in the longevity of the companies to risk a tax stamp.

-J
The market place would be epic without the BS NFA stuff.

Reactions: NSI
I'd be nice if AB did a head to head test with all these sometime so you could compare how they performed in the same scenario.

They did one video with some info but didn't state if the reflex were standard or bull. In that test the apples/apples measurement setup:
6.5 creed w/ flush R8 = 129.9
6.5 creed w/ R8 & 3" = 127.7
6.5 creed w/ R6 & 2" = 131.4

308 w/ flush R8 = 130.2
308 w/ R8 & 3" = 128.6
308 w/ R6 & 2" = 131.6

So for sure go with whatever Raptor length you can tolerate cause that is where the weight/noise bang for the buck is but since it does have the reflex options which do knock down things a bit more it'd be nice to know what we're working with. I bought a R8 & 3" bull for versatility (so far I like it, limited use but 3 deer down with it) but if someone was getting into multiples knowing what standard vs bull and 2" vs 5" delivers would be handy.
Id imagine they were bull barrel reflexes, the standard only fits really thin barrels its like 0.75" vs 1"

Attachments

• 20231116_115001.jpg
    20231116_115001.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 61

Antares

WKR
I don’t want to derail, but since we’re talking about AB cans, maybe I can get some opinions.

My only center fire can is a .30 cal GEMTECH Tracker. For my second can, I thought I wanted an Ultra 9, but now I’m seriously considering a Raptor 10 w/ 5” reflex. The Raptor is shorter and lighter than the Ultra 9. I can use the reflex when I want maximum suppression and just the stack with a flush mount if I want a lighter weight option. Plus, I like that the Raptor has caliber specific end caps.

I’m I missing anything with the Ultra 9. Is there another similar can I should be looking at?

lak2004

WKR
I ordered the Raptor 8 today, went back and forth between it, the scythe and the enticer s-ti. Couldn't pass up the BOGO for their rimfore can.
Stoked to be joining the club of suppressed shooting.

Lawnboi

WKR
I don’t want to derail, but since we’re talking about AB cans, maybe I can get some opinions.

My only center fire can is a .30 cal GEMTECH Tracker. For my second can, I thought I wanted an Ultra 9, but now I’m seriously considering a Raptor 10 w/ 5” reflex. The Raptor is shorter and lighter than the Ultra 9. I can use the reflex when I want maximum suppression and just the stack with a flush mount if I want a lighter weight option. Plus, I like that the Raptor has caliber specific end caps.

I’m I missing anything with the Ultra 9. Is there another similar can I should be looking at?
Whatever you get is likely going to be more impressive than the gemtech. Even my ultra 7 is surprisingly quieter. My tracker is a dust collector now.

CentennialState

Lil-Rokslider
I ordered the Raptor 8 today, went back and forth between it, the scythe and the enticer s-ti. Couldn't pass up the BOGO for their rimfore can.
Stoked to be joining the club of suppressed shooting.
You won’t be disappointed. It’s great; and the bogo is icing

SharkDog

FNG
From looking at this thread, the Cameron's review of the scythe and a couple other threads, this is where we're at comparing the Hyperion K, Scythe, and Raptor 8?

AB Raptor 8 w/ direct thread is quieter than CGS Hyperion K
AB Raptor 8 w/ 1" reflex is the same as SilencerCo Scythe TI

Tone:
CGS Hyperion K
AB Raptor 8 w/2"
SilencerCo Scythe TI

Weight:
SilencerCo Scythe TI = 8.25 oz
AB Raptor 8 w/ direct thread = 9.88
AB Raptor 8 w/ 2" Reflex = 10.1
CGS Hyperion K = 10.6
AB Raptor 8 w/3" Reflex = 13.5

I thought I was going to order a Hyperion K, but I then I found this thread.

Seems like a scythe and be happy or get a Raptor 8 with and use a 5" reflex at the range and the direct thread plate in the field.

I guess I can't lose. I haven't shot any of these, but I am sure I would be happy with all of them.

Last edited:

Tahoe1305

WKR
This is where we're at comparing the Hyperion K, Scythe, and Raptor 8?

AB Raptor 8 w/ direct thread is quieter than CGS Hyperion K
AB Raptor 8 w/ 1" reflex is the same as SilencerCo Scythe TI

Tone:
CGS Hyperion K
AB Raptor 8 w/2"
SilencerCo Scythe TI

Weight:
SilencerCo Scythe TI = 8.25 oz
AB Raptor 8 w/ direct thread = 9.88
AB Raptor 8 w/ 2" Reflex = 10.1
CGS Hyperion K = 10.6
AB Raptor 8 w/3" Reflex = 13.5

I thought I was going to order a Hyperion K, but I then I found this thread.

Seems like a scythe and be happy or get a Raptor 8 with and use a 5" reflex at the range and the direct thread plate in the field.

I guess I can't lose.
The way I’m reading this is you personally tested the three of them recently.

Can you confirm your thoughts on suppression between Hyperion vs scythe?

Tough to tell when comparing a 2”, 1” reflex. That coupled with “tone” being best on Hyperion and then the comment just getting the scythe and being done, in a bit confused.