Mid-price rifle kit thread - review and thoughts

MatukaJoe

FNG
Last year with some of my tax return, I decided to put together a mid-priced (yes that is a relative number) rifle in a caliber and style I wanted rather than just buying out of the box rifle. I didn't have the money nor time for a full build so cobbling one together seemed the best option. I don't see as much discussion on this here so I thought to post my results.

I found a Howa Carbon Barreled Action 6.5 PRC on Brownells (currently $799) and a Stocky's VG2 (currently $548) I had always wanted an all carbon rifle so I went with that option. I paid less than the current costs on both of these and had my kit for just over 1100$ (I think they were on sale prior.)

My setup was less $ than the Howa Carbon Elevate in all carbon but with a vertical grip stock and a flat forend and Internal Magazine.
This ticked all my boxes for what I wanted.
All carbon in color
Vertical Grip with high cheek weld and flat forend
Internal Magazine
6.5 PRC
5/8X24 Threaded

I have put over 100 rounds downrange (I have not counted the total number) and taken a decent mulie this last fall at 330 yards. Its been a great way to get a rifle with my wants for a price less than a premium or what I may even expect to pay for out of box for those characteristics.
I would whole heartedly recommend anyone thinking they want to buy a new rifle also look into barreled action and stock to see if it makes sense. You may find it doesnt depending on the costs of the action you want etc but you also certanly could get an affordable rifle that will do a lot for the $. As further example a Howa Stainless Steel barreled action in 6.5 at Brownells is $549 and I've seen stocks around depending on what you choose for as little as $250. And of course now that the Rokstok is set up for Howa action...

Here's my pros and cons keeping in mind I am not a gunsmith, nor even a badass shooter... I consider myself a professional FNG.
Pros:
Weight (Topped with Warne Rings and a Zeiss Conquest V4 4-16 plus a StingerWorx Suppressor) Sub 8.5 lbs total weight
Carbon fiber barrel
Stock has good LOP and vertical grip for hand placement
3 stage safety
HOWA 2 stage trigger (wasn't sure I'd like this but I really am. Allows me to hit the trigger wall and know that more pressure is going to make it fire.)
Action - Howa put this in their Long Action which I appreciate
Foreend - nice a flat for prone off pack, bag, or tripod

Cons:
Carbon barrel - it heats up much faster than my other rifle with a Proof barrrel. Its a thinner profile too. Not so bad but to be aware of.
Trigger adjustment - Howa has a strange adjustment that only goes down to about 2.5 lbs to get lighter you have to clip a spring and reinstall; there are videos out there on how to but its just odd to me.
Break in - while I have defaulted to the school of barrel break in is not necessary, this rifle definitely shot faster and tighter groups after about 60 rounds through it. It is shooting quite well and Sub MOA. It has been shot to 700 and I was just shooting it to 500 this past weekend.

Overall though I am super happy and to be honest even a bit surprised I didnt go this route sooner. For those out there thinking what rifle do I buy? Maybe kit one together and you may get more what you want. User results may vary. ;)

Cheers.

Attachments

• 20230709_091150.jpg
    20230709_091150.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_2701.jpeg
    IMG_2701.jpeg
    216.7 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_2668.jpg
    IMG_2668.jpg
    805.1 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

Alex.D102

FNG
Ive been eyeing the Howa barreled actions on Brownells this week and just wasnt sure what I wanted to do. This review helps. I was worried about weight since its seems the Howa actions are heavier than most.

OP
MatukaJoe

MatukaJoe

FNG
Ive been eyeing the Howa barreled actions on Brownells this week and just wasnt sure what I wanted to do. This review helps. I was worried about weight since its seems the Howa actions are heavier than most.
I will add this that while it is about 1 lb heavier than my other rifle actually when people pick it up they always exclaim how light it is because I think with that Stocky's stock it's quite well balanced so I don't really feel the pound more it weighs versus my other. And perhaps bc it's carbon fiber look they think it's light haha! In fact I'm finding I'm shooting this more than what I typically would consider my primary rifle as I find the fit better that I like the trigger more and more