Do Suppressors on shorter barrels need to be cleaned frequently?

ThatDUDE

WKR
I can't remember the post, but I saw someone who was running a 16.5" barrel who dumped a lot of carbon gunk out of their suppressor after a couple hundred rounds. I am looking at a short barreled (16.5"-18") 6mm Creedmoor, but I am wondering if I will have to clean my suppressor a lot?

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Define “a lot”
How many rounds will you shoot a year?

Cleaning a suppressor more often so it doesn’t build up funk is a good plan.

OP
ThatDUDE

ThatDUDE

WKR
Honestly this suppressor stuff is just all new to me. I have read some guys say they have fired a couple of thousand rounds without cleaning. I am hoping to shoot a thousand rounds this year. I just read the Hyperion K manual and they recommend checking every 1000-3000 rounds. So I guess I have a while.

gabenzeke

WKR
Pretty sure I've read you're rarely supposed to clean them. Allegedly they're quieter when dirty too.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

MTWILEY23

FNG
I probably have 1k rounds through my TB, hasn't been cleaned and haven't noticed any changes to accuracy or performance

I am right around 4000 rounds on my Dead Air Sandman Ti. It has picked up 2 extra ounces but I have seen no appreciable difference in suppression or accuracy across the 3 different guns I shoot with it (two 18" barrels and one 20").

Lawnboi

WKR
I believe it might have been my post.

I actually think the short barrel makes less carbon in the suppressor. Maybe from more pressure at the muzzle? I don’t know.

I had shot a few thousand rounds (wasn’t counting) from other rifles, mainly being 20-26” barrels. When I put the suppressor on my short creedmoor I was having problems with it breaking a lot of carbon loose, and that said carbon going down the barrel to the action and chamber. I’m guessing this happened because I built up a lot of carbon with low muzzle pressure cartridges, and went to the shorty with a lot more. Just my theory.

Anyways I cleaned my ultra 7. It was 2oz heavy on carbon. I filled it with clr and got it back down to 8oz. Personally I can’t see just letting carbon build up and carrying around un needed weight.

FWIW, the carbon didn’t cause any failures to fire, it caused occasional pressure if the gun was carried muzzle up for a while, jostled around, and shot. Had I continued to fire it I’m sure like my other rifles to a lesser degree it would knock the stuff that was loose off and create it’s own layer wherever the rifle left it.

It’s not hard to clean out atitanium can. Threw it in a gallon jug with an earplug in the end, filled with clr I got for 15 bucks at Home Depot. 2 cycles got it down to a half ounce heavy, that leftover carbon quickly loosened up when shot, getting it back down to spec weight. That gallon will likely clean it a dozen times.

Probably something I will continue to do every few thousand rounds, or a couple ounces of carbon.

khuber84

WKR
Lawnboi has a good routine. I also utilize clr for my TBAC ultra7. I built a pvc chamber a bit larger than can, disassemble the a419 hellfire mount from can, and drop in, top off with clr, wait for foam/fizz to chill, screw on lid. I let sit for 36 hrs, shake the F outta it, rinse. Repeat 2x more. Yeah takes 5-6 days but I'm within grams of my original weight of new purchase. I get inside with a small tipped air gun prior to repeating soaking steps, and some dental tools at what's visible from each end. Believe it or not, weight accumulation at muzzle will change poi and accuracy. Just like a barrel tuner.

From what I understand the only real benefit to cleaning them is to keep them lighter. Pay all that money for a lightweight device on the end of the rifle and end up accumulating weight up front. I don't think I'll ever shoot mine enough to matter.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I believe it might have been my post.

I actually think the short barrel makes less carbon in the suppressor. Maybe from more pressure at the muzzle? I don’t know.

I had shot a few thousand rounds (wasn’t counting) from other rifles, mainly being 20-26” barrels. When I put the suppressor on my short creedmoor I was having problems with it breaking a lot of carbon loose, and that said carbon going down the barrel to the action and chamber. I’m guessing this happened because I built up a lot of carbon with low muzzle pressure cartridges, and went to the shorty with a lot more. Just my theory.

Anyways I cleaned my ultra 7. It was 2oz heavy on carbon. I filled it with clr and got it back down to 8oz. Personally I can’t see just letting carbon build up and carrying around un needed weight.

FWIW, the carbon didn’t cause any failures to fire, it caused occasional pressure if the gun was carried muzzle up for a while, jostled around, and shot. Had I continued to fire it I’m sure like my other rifles to a lesser degree it would knock the stuff that was loose off and create it’s own layer wherever the rifle left it.

It’s not hard to clean out atitanium can. Threw it in a gallon jug with an earplug in the end, filled with clr I got for 15 bucks at Home Depot. 2 cycles got it down to a half ounce heavy, that leftover carbon quickly loosened up when shot, getting it back down to spec weight. That gallon will likely clean it a dozen times.

Probably something I will continue to do every few thousand rounds, or a couple ounces of carbon.
How did you clean it with clr? Just put it in a jar standing upright? Do you do anything to keep clr off the threads or anything?

I weighed mine when it was new...when it gets 2-3 ounces heavier..I disassemble throw the guts in the UT cleaner and then scrub the body of the can with brake cleaner, you can go longer just takes longer to clean..usually its about 18 months. 30 cal TI can used on on every thing from 300win mag to 556. 26" -16" barrels.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Do you need to clean? No, it is self cleaning to some extent. But, there are adequate reasons IMO to justify the minimal effort to use some carbon cutting solution like CLR that doesn’t damage my suppressors. You won’t find me going to any extremes and I probably think about it once a year after a couple thousand rounds.

Lawnboi

WKR
How did you clean it with clr? Just put it in a jar standing upright? Do you do anything to keep clr off the threads or anything?
Mine is cb, so there is no stainless piece in it. But essentially I just filled it with clr, clear to the rim, and rinsed it out with hot water. Getting it good and hot with 10 shots loosened the last .5oz. With 2 cycles and some shooting I was able to get it down to its factory 8oz.

I know the DT insert is stainless but you shouldn’t have an issue with filling it to the insert. I know they don’t reccomend letting the threads soak on stainless.

I plan to keep up on it every couple thousand rounds. It’s not hard to do.

khuber84

WKR
The direct thread insert in a TBAC can, is just a TBAC brake adapter that's been rokset into place. They come out with heat and a wrench. Once you clean the supressor, just reinstall with some thread locker. At least mine was, I pulled mine to install an area 419 hellfire adapter.

Anybody know a way to easily clean a stainless can?

Mine has gained ~ 3 ounces now over a few thousand rounds. Still works fine though.