Suppressor wait times

SloppyJ

WKR
On a podcast when e-file started back up they explained the ATF had a total of twelve people for this work.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
There's more than that since the amnesty pistol brace fiasco. You can check the posted approvals and see how many reviewers there are now.

The way things are going the AFT is shutting down gun shops all over for nitpicky paperwork errors and made up excuses. I don't blame SC for sending certified to keep a verifyable record and doing everything in their power to be overly compliant.

This is the first I’ve heard this. Can you share any source?
There's been dozens, all over the normal "gun pages" where have you been?

It even auto-completes in Google search when I went there to dig one up for you.

Lee Williams, an independent investigative reporter specializing in covering firearms, revealed that ATF once revoked the licenses of federal firearms licensees (FFLs) at a rate of about 40 each year. “But, in the 11 months since Joe Biden declared war on ‘rogue gun dealers,’ the ATF has revoked 273 FFLs — an increase of more than 500%,” Williams reported. “However, rather than targeting the true rogues, Biden’s ATF is revoking FFLs for the most minor of paperwork errors, which were never a concern for the ATF until Biden weaponized the agency.”

That’s due to the Biden administration’s “zero tolerance” inspection policy. That means inspectors are revoking federal firearms licenses for even minor clerical errors that previously would warrant a warning letter.

ATF has the authority to revoke licenses for even these minor clerical errors but used to be more interested in compliance. That changed under the Biden administration and the Department of Justice (DOJ) led by Attorney General Merrick Garland. National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF) is providing retailers with guidance to be prepared for these inspections.

Last edited:

Go West Old Man

WKR
Classified Approved
• Purchased 12/29/22
• e form submitted 1/10/23 (they didn’t like my
first picture at the lgs or something)
• Approved 8/29/23

Edit: amended to an existing Trust

Last edited:

atmat

WKR
There's been dozens, all over the normal "gun pages" where have you been?

It even auto-completes in Google search when I went there to dig one up for you.

I don’t hang out on any gun pages. But thank you for the sources! I learned something new.

Bubbadoyle

Lil-Rokslider
I'd like to ask a question to someone that has a little more background than most. Why do you think that we are seeing plenty of 60-90 day form 4 approvals all of the sudden? It obviously strikes a chord with a lot of people who have been waiting 200+ days. Seems logical to start at the back of the stack and work forward but there has to be a reason. Thanks!

200 days? I’m sitting at 314 and counting on two. While I’m happy for those getting them in sub 100 days It’s terribly frustrating watching it happen while I’m at four times the wait of some of those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bluefish

WKR
200 days? I’m sitting at 314 and counting on two. While I’m happy for those getting them in sub 100 days It’s terribly frustrating watching it happen while I’m at four times the wait of some of those.

It appears they may be adding people and then giving them applications that are newer instead of redistributing all the older ones. Or simply gaming the system to say that waits are getting to be less by approving a bunch of newer applications. Take your pick.
agree that it’s disheartening to see sub 100 day approvals and have several that are double that. I got lucky on a shop closing so I have one can for this upcoming season, but would like to have the first can I bought approved before hunting.

For informational purposes, are you by chance up there in age and/or have moved a lot or had a lot of different jobs? I know it's silly to try to logically explain anything a gov agency does but I'm wondering if there's any sort of pattern.

Mine was 10 months to the day from the time the application was submitted to it being on my door step.

atmat

WKR
I sent a bunch of emails out this morning to various ATF/NFA addresses. Doubtful anything will come of it, but guess we’ll see!