RokStok

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
This area particularly.

I haven’t addressed it because the drawing is just an MDT Field Stock with a fixed comb.

IMG_5379.jpeg

IMG_5381.jpegIMG_5382.jpeg

Quite frankly the Field Stock is a comprise in every aspect.

The reasons for the design of the RokStok has been addressed numerous times.

However, from front to back-
IMG_5378.jpeg

Forend (purple)- It’s a KRG/MDT forend. Square, not comfortably to carry, no benefit over a sporter style forend for a field hunting stock. The abrupt transition from thin to thick at magazine- not comfortable to carry, no benefit, reduces rest position options.

Grip angle and Back of trigger (yellow)- Grip angle is not optimum. The “wing” behind the trigger serves absolutely no purpose. Drops hand below trigger. Creates a hot spot on middle finger. The angle created causes a downward pressure on the trigger as well as back. Increase trigger reach to nearly 2”.

Pronounced grip butt (blue)- Serves no purpose. Reduces surface area for rear rest placement by at least 2 inches.

Neck of stock behind grip (red)- too thin from top to bottom. Will be failure point without some type of reinforcement. Has no functional value.

Comb angle/height (green)- Too shallow, will not allow a sight picture with medium or low rings. Will require high rings, and makes head position/stock fit more critical.

The drawing is a mix mash of “designs” with no real intended goal or function first. It’s exactly what I would expect a company to make if they just took a list of design requirements and made a stock with little understanding of the whole picture.

SDHNTR

WKR
I listened to it. Mostly enjoyed it. Could’ve done without the language as I had kids in the car too. I must admit though, when the tangents and sidebars start, I hit the fast forward. I tried, I really did. Maybe I should’ve popped an adderall first. As I said before I even listened to it, the podcast could use a bullet pointed, Reader’s Digest version IMO. Got some questions answered, yes, but a few remain. They were probably answered but I really struggled to stay technically engaged amidst all the banter, which is the problem I have with all podcasts. It’s me, I know. It’s not the presenters. The content was good, I just have the attention span of a fruit fly. Podcasts just aren’t my thing. I don’t like hearing myself talk for more than a few minutes either!

IMO, UM would really do themselves proper by simply including more info on their website. Where’s the FAQ? Where’s the pics? Where’s the videos? Where’s the tutorial on how and why? Every other stock company has sizzle reels exhibiting the features. They could’ve nipped all this bombardment of unnecessary questions in the bud by simply providing more info up front. I feel sorry for their customer service guy, but it’s largely self inflicted.

Or maybe the marketing strategy was intentionally opaque, to generate the buzz and interest? Idk, it’s an interesting tactic whether intentional or not.

Jimbee

WKR
I'm having a hard time keeping my thumb in line with the bore. On the factory Tikka stock there's just not enough room for my thumb, it has to wrap or sit on the trigger finger side. On the Stocky's VG it seems like the meaty part below my thumb gets pushed to the side because the stock is too thick. Maybe I'm doing something wrong or maybe the stocks and my thumb don't jive, maybe both.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
IMO, UM would really do themselves proper by simply including more info on their website. Where’s the FAQ? Where’s the pics? Where’s the videos? Where’s the tutorial on how and why? Every other stock company has sizzle reels exhibiting the features. They could’ve nipped all this bombardment of unnecessary questions in the bud by simply providing more info up front. I feel sorry for their customer service guy, but it’s largely self inflicted.

Or maybe the marketing strategy was intentionally opaque, to generate the buzz and interest? Idk, it’s an interesting tactic whether intentional or not.

They have said once they get production stocks that this stuff will happen such as videos, how to's and FAQ's

Problem is we are on the very bleeding edge. How many other companies do you know bring a stock to market in a quarter and consider the noise of the crowd while taking into consideration some features. It would have been easier to exclude us all together and just make the stock.

I think what has been done here is pretty impressive. But to your point yes it has been chaotic to follow.

Stu

Lil-Rokslider

I'm pretty impressed and appreciative that a small group of dudes and a small business tackled the logistics to make what appears to be a quality stock available to the rest of us. This isn't coming from an established stock maker afterall. I've been experimenting with styrofoam, cardboard, bondo, and duct tape for a long time to improve what I currently have.

Having access to further info in a long form podcast was icing on the cake.

SDHNTR

WKR
They have said once they get production stocks that this stuff will happen such as videos, how to's and FAQ's

Problem is we are on the very bleeding edge. How many other companies do you know bring a stock to market in a quarter and consider the noise of the crowd while taking into consideration some features. It would have been easier to exclude us all together and just make the stock.

I think what has been done here is pretty impressive. But to your point yes it has been chaotic to follow.
It’s definitely impressive, and I appreciate it. We need decent stock choices. Especially now that Gunwerks won’t sell one. And this is at a reasonable price point. I love what they are doing with it, the cart just seems out in front of the horse.

BBob

WKR
@Jimbee You are not alone with your findings. I cannot shoot a traditional stock with my thumb neutral in the middle. My hands are big enough that the bolt shroud smashes into the end of my thumb. I’ve split the nail doing that. In testing I shoot better with those stocks with the thumb along the upper but side of the stock. With something like the bravo I can leave my thumb neutral and in the middle. On a chassis I like a thumb button or shelf mainly for quick bolt manipulation. It was an easy transition to a thumb button because of shooting traditional stocks for so long with the thumb in that position.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU

How would UM have-
Where’s the FAQ? Where’s the pics? Where’s the videos? Where’s the tutorial on how and why? Every other stock company has sizzle reels exhibiting the features.

When the first post of this stock was the night bondo was applied and sanded to be scanned for the first 3d print? You know there isn’t an actual stock even made yet, right? Not only that, there is still the possibility that once the test stocks come out of the mold and get used by us, that the design gets tweaked. So how can there be a “FAQ, “pics”, “videos”, “tutorial”, or “sizzle reel”? Although, I believe every question you and others have asked are in this thread, the podcast, or the Chassis Versus Stocks thread that’s has been linked to multiple times.

Can you point out or name a single stock or maker that included a forum in the iterative design from the very beginning?

Even with all that, what has been shown is a tiny fraction of what has transpired.

Last edited:
@Jimbee You are not alone with your findings. I cannot shoot a traditional stock with my thumb neutral in the middle. My hands are big enough that the bolt shroud smashes into the end of my thumb. I’ve split the nail doing that. In testing I shoot better with those stocks with the thumb along the upper but side of the stock. With something like the bravo I can leave my thumb neutral and in the middle. On a chassis I like a thumb button or shelf mainly for quick bolt manipulation. It was an easy transition to a thumb button because of shooting traditional stocks for so long with the thumb in that position.
I was experimenting with neutral yesterday and dry firing last night. Long fingers so ended up just resting thumb on top of bolt shroud. You got me thinking though, was your nail split bc recoil of shroud into end of thumb?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
I'm having a hard time keeping my thumb in line with the bore. On the factory Tikka stock there's just not enough room for my thumb, it has to wrap or sit on the trigger finger side.

Those with above average hand size or finger length probably won’t be able to get directly inline with bore with any grip that doesn’t have a 2+ inch trigger reach. That’s ok as long as it is neutral.

The RokStok is contoured as such (notice the base of the thumb is inline with bore)-
IMG_5409.jpeg

Notice the angles between the grip, the hand and thumb
IMG_5410.jpeg

And how they line up-
IMG_5411.jpeg

The grip, tang, and neck are all shaped and scalloped where the vast majority of hand sizes will want to lay as shown above. Yes, it’s ambidextrous.

On the Stocky's VG it seems like the meaty part below my thumb gets pushed to the side because the stock is too thick. Maybe I'm doing something wrong or maybe the stocks and my thumb don't jive, maybe both.

That specific point is a poor design on the Stockys, and lots of other stocks as well

BBob

WKR
was your nail split bc recoil of shroud into end of thumb?
Yes. The split nails came from open ended Remington type shrouds. Catches the nail on the sharp inside edge of the shroud and cuts/splits it. On closed shrouds it smacks the end of the thumb/nail and kinda hurts.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Those with above average hand size or finger length probably won’t be able to get directly inline with bore with any grip that doesn’t have a 2+ inch trigger reach. That’s ok as long as it is neutral.

The RokStok is contoured as such (notice the base of the thumb is inline with bore)-
View attachment 649855

Notice the angles between the grip, the hand and thumb
View attachment 649854

And how they line up-
View attachment 649853

The grip, tang, and neck are all shaped and scalloped where the vast majority of hand sizes will want to lay as shown above. Yes, it’s ambidextrous.

That specific point is a poor design on the Stockys, and lots of other stocks as well
FWIW You need some lotion.

giphy.gif

Frank Dux

Lil-Rokslider
What’s ETA of pictures of first production stock and comparisons? Also interested in the add on piece for higher scopes mounts.