Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
I guess looks can be deceiving.

These are thin grips-
IMG_5364.jpeg

IMG_5368.jpeg

IMG_5367.jpeg

IMG_5366.jpeg

Now there might be some dimensional things with a wooden RokStok, but I don’t think it will be an issue. They will get heavily tested regardless.
If hardwood versions get offered publicly, they will be made to order- I highly doubt they will be a standard stocked item.

I would not like laminate
I actually prefer laminate for a lot of rigs. I have a few mountain hunting rigs on which I try to keep weight down with synthetics, and a bunch of blued/walnut rigs that I have for nostalgia or beauty; for everything else, I typically go laminate. For many uses, I don't mind the extra weight over synthetic or walnut. It's weather stable and it has the feel and warmth of a standard wood stock. It's also exceedingly strong.

Brazo264

FNG
My Stockys VG2 has already seen more field use in a month or so than a lot of rifles will see in a year or more.

It’s also had a few decent knocks on both the stock and scope.

I did not epoxy mine in but I tapped it with a hammer to fully seat it. I would have to use pliers and wiggle HARD to get it out.

Yesterday that rifle killed a nasty little desert Chupacabra at 432 yards.

View attachment 648721

This morning it did this to a bucks heart at 264.

View attachment 648722

View attachment 648724

No issues so far with accuracy and maintaining zero.
@mxgsfmdpx may I ask what height rings those are? Thank you and nice shooting!

jeremy.b

Lil-Rokslider
FWIW, this is the area I could see having the potential for shearing issues depending on the wood grain for natural wood blanks.

1703959729099.png

Looks like Stocky's already offers something in laminate with a similar turn at the grip, so again, apparently a non-issue for laminate, and possibly natural wood.

lrvg-laminates_1.png

Agreed. Despite all the solid thought behind this design, I have a hard time buying something, anything, at the pre-production stage. I’m going to wait until there’s actually a product to buy. I mean absolutely no shade in saying that. Obviously, the business model is working for UM and plenty of people are buying. I’m just personally in no hurry to pre-purchase. I’d at least like to see pics and vids of an actual finished product first.

I trust Toyota engineers more than any other auto manufacturer. I know a lot of brains go into producing their vehicles. Despite all that, and I want a new Tundra (which came out in 2022), I’m still waiting until 2024 to buy a new one. Call me risk averse.
There are things which are worth taking a risk on. $500 for what may turn out to be the best stock in existence seems worth the risk. If anything goes wrong with it, UM will make it right. If they make some updates well then you still have the 2nd best stock in the world or sell it cheap after getting a new one.

I don't know these guys but their podcasts are very entertaining. The effort and thought they put into what they do is admirable and it has made me a believer.

Gonewest

WKR
The shape of the circled area will create a weak point in a wood stock due to how the grain flows.

Attachments

• 1703964608752.png
    1703964608752.png
    69.1 KB · Views: 45

SDHNTR

WKR
There are things which are worth taking a risk on. $500 for what may turn out to be the best stock in existence seems worth the risk. If anything goes wrong with it, UM will make it right. If they make some updates well then you still have the 2nd best stock in the world or sell it cheap after getting a new one.

I don't know these guys but their podcasts are very entertaining. The effort and thought they put into what they do is admirable and it has made me a
You aren’t wrong. To each their own. I’m just not jumping into buying a product when there is no physical product yet. At this point, you're only buying a design concept. I’m not a venture capitalist. I’m a consumer.

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
FWIW, this is the area I could see having the potential for shearing issues depending on the wood grain for natural wood blanks.

View attachment 649270

Looks like Stocky's already offers something in laminate with a similar turn at the grip, so again, apparently a non-issue for laminate, and possibly natural wood.

lrvg-laminates_1.png

The shape of the circled area will create a weak point in a wood stock due to how the grain flows.

I certainly see it with straight grained wood. I wonder if one could cut the shape with the butt turned up, then steam and bend the neck. Excuse the very poor drawing, but an initial shape like this prior to being steamed and bent.

Untitled.jpg

BBob

WKR
The hunter is the low profile one I think. I bought one and will see if I can swap it instead of the mini arca when I get the stock.
SRS makes a pretty low profile rail. Has anyone asked or did they post (and I missed it) which rail they intend to use in front of the magwell? If it’s the tall mini arca I’ll switch it out to a lower profile.
@Unknown Munitions @Salmon River Solutions

This is an SRS Tactical ARCA

IMG_2467.jpegIMG_2466.jpeg

Last edited:

Dobermann

WKR

BBob

WKR
^^^ Thx. No I did not see that post but I know of the Henderson and I have an SRS mini. The Henderson do look nicer as far as slightly smaller profile than the SRS tactical arca but I have a couple of them already. If this stock were to come with a low profile like the tac I’d probably leave it.

Last edited:

Stockys

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor

View attachment 649270

lrvg-laminates_1.png
You are correct. On those models there is actually a reinforcement pin on the underside of the grip to prevent breaking. Because we did test it and it did happen…

Gonewest

WKR