Monos vs. Lead. Which do you choose and why?

Nosferatu

Lil-Rokslider
I took a sip of the Hammer kool-aid a couple years ago. Since developing a couple loads for my .30-06 and .30-30, the results haven't given me a reason to go with anything else.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
In relation to the actual conversation, when I drew a specific antelope tag this year an eagle conservation organization reached out to me and purchased 2 boxes of Barnes TTSX 180grain 300 win at $60 a pop. I was totally impressed with their commitment to get hunters to avoid lead contamination. I personally prefer monos and have had nothing but lethal results but to each his own.

Also wanted to give a shout out to Selway Armory in Missoula MT that partnered with the conservation organization to supply the ammunition:

Great small business and supplier.
Did they require any proof that you actually used that ammo???

There’s eagles all over the place where I live, they should send me some barns ammo so the eagles don’t get poisoned.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I know right!? That gave me a good chuckle and exactly what I was thinking at the time too.

They must have worked everything through fish and game because they had me verify my tag number and then gave me a purchase code to Selway. I didn’t even have to pay for shipping. Score!
That’s pretty cool. I’d shoot pretty much any ammo and wear the hat from the eagle conservation place if they were footing the bill.

In relation to the actual conversation, when I drew a specific antelope tag this year an eagle conservation organization reached out to me and purchased 2 boxes of Barnes TTSX 180grain 300 win at $60 a pop. I was totally impressed with their commitment to get hunters to avoid lead contamination. I personally prefer monos and have had nothing but lethal results but to each his own.

Also wanted to give a shout out to Selway Armory in Missoula MT that partnered with the conservation organization to supply the ammunition:

Great small business and supplier.
I recently made my first ammo purchase from Selway. All lead containing ammo of course, but they were great. Highly recommend.

I am not sure I would like an eagle conservation organization being provided my contact info by the agency that handled the tag distribution, if that is, in fact, what happened.

Rich M

WKR
I'm answering the original question.

I prefer cup & core or NP type ammo. Cup & core shoots excellent in my rifles (older guns/designs mainly) and I have tried monos and did not find them as accurate. The C&C bullets also drop the game I'm after so not complaining.

A side note is cost. Like to shoot so that 100 count box of cup & core at $30 beats a 50 count box of monos at $50 on the range too.

Not afraid of getting lead poison from eating an animal shot with a lead bullet - the blood shot meat around the wound channel is tossed.

I've also had good luck with the LRX. Have you tried the Hammer bullets yet? Supposedly they mimic the fragmenting of lead core bullets, while retaining a decent amount of weight. I'm going to load some of the 120g Hammers for the Wisconsin holiday hunt.
Just recognize that hammer bullets bcs are way lower than what is advertised on the website.

OP
Newtosavage
I'm answering the original question.
Not afraid of getting lead poison from eating an animal shot with a lead bullet - the blood shot meat around the wound channel is tossed.
This is part of my concern when I quarter using the gutless method. If there is a chance that the bloodshot meat full of lead fragments will be harmful to other wildlife, then that's not something I want to see happen. Fortunately for me, monos shoot really well so I don't feel like I have to compromise.

JohnB

WKR
I wonder how cast gold bullets would work. It would sure keep you from spraying the hillside in despiration.
By my back of the napkin calculations a 130 grain bullet would be 480 bucks if pure gold. If my one bullet got an elk every year that might pay out but I don't think I could afford to zero my rifle and I know I certainly wouldn't be able to afford to follow Form's 10 round group recommendations.

OP
Newtosavage
By my back of the napkin calculations a 130 grain bullet would be 480 bucks if pure gold. If my one bullet got an elk every year that might pay out but I don't think I could afford to zero my rifle and I know I certainly wouldn't be able to afford to follow Form's 10 round group recommendations.
Nothing an influencer couldn't get a sponsor to provide. :ROFLMAO:

Tod osier

WKR
Late to the party...

I shoot nearly all nonlead - this is based on my understanding of the effects on wildlife (mainly birds) and the potential effects on humans. I have read most all of the relevant peer-reviewed published scientific literature on the topic.

I switched years ago to monos for big game and nonlead shot for birds. In that time the exceptions include that I've shot a deer with a .44 mag using a lead bullet because that was the best option considering the constraints and a couple turkeys with lead when I couldn't get nonlead, otherwise it has all been copper, steel or tungsten (or a mix of those).

I'm quite content with the performance of what I use on game and am willing to accept the downsides as far as performance and price when there is an issue. I don't expect others to do as I have, but at some point it will be regulated, I have no doubt about that.

Last edited:
Would make you want to dig your bullets out of the backstop at the target range. Not sure how you would clean the barrel given the insolubility of gold.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Lead! And I prefer match bullets

IME animals shot with Monos stay on their feet longer than animals shot with Match bullets.

When reading studies, always look for the original.

If you are concerned about the Raptors, you should be more concerned about those god-awful windmills and electric cars, not your little lead bullets.

Rick M.

WKR
Just recognize that hammer bullets bcs are way lower than what is advertised on the website.
I try to stay inside of 350-400 yards, so the BC shouldn't be a big deal. I'm more concerned with terminal performance at my intended ranges. I've been back and forth with Steve via email and he's been very helpful and responsive. I know you mentioned having a bad experience with him, but he's been good to me thus far. If I end up putting it all together, I'll post an update on how the 120g HH performed.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
I don’t want to derail this thread topic - but you’re way off base on statins adding one more day off life. The heart protection study was 20000 patients and more than 10 years. 4 arms and a control…
Sent a PM about the above
Believe what you want, with over two dozen controlled FDA approved published studies over many products and a half century, for every 1% of ldl cholesterol lowering regardless of what lowers it there was a corresponding RISK of suffering a cardiovascular event including mortality due to such events. Statins are just the most efficient lowering methods.

Any new company wanting to bring another statin, blood pressure or diabetes drug to market today must not only prove its efficacy in lowering, it’s safe in relation to benefits and trails must include “outcomes” which if you lower ldl because that reduces risk, you must prove it (expressed as events) beyond lowering alone. No assumptions allowed.

Pm me if you want to throw down so this stays on topic