How far are you shooting monos?

I'll catch up on this thread later. Hopefully this has not been asked yet.

From all the threads lately on monos, I have come to the conclusion that they need to be pushed fast by using lighter bullets or higher powder charge. What is everyone seeing on closer ranges, 100 yds and under, on bullet performance. Are they to fast and coming apart to much to be effective?

prm

WKR

From all the threads lately on monos, I have come to the conclusion that they need to be pushed fast by using lighter bullets or higher powder charge. What is everyone seeing on closer ranges, 100 yds and under, on bullet performance. Are they to fast and coming apart to much to be effective?

Monos are in their element at short range! The faster they hit, the wider they open, the more damage they do.

jeremy.b

Lil-Rokslider

There is a general consensus that many Barnes bullets need a higher impact velocity to perform as they are designed to.

The new monos (hammers, apex, badlands and others) all different in their terminal performance characteristics. Some are designed to shed pedals, others to expand. They are generally working well at their minimum recommended velocity and higher.

There is a deep rabbit hole or two over on Long Range Hunting about mono performance for a few different types.

Iman

FNG
Cutting edge lazer .308 165gr out of a 308win after passing through a moose at 506m, estimated speed 1950fps.

4aa25ef7e3e6ecd3d8b9c37c2e03b045.jpg

Afhunter1

WKR
I've killed a number of whitetails with a 7mm-08 using 120 TTSX out to 400 yards. My handloads at that time were only running 2870fps, but I've since changed powders and now they are more like 3150 fps.
Many of them had an impact velocity between 1900 and 2200fps and they killed just fine, but for any larger game, I would be uncomfortable with an impact velocity below 2200fps based on the few I recovered.
Which powder are you using?

SDHNTR

WKR

Absolutely not. Non issue.

I used to shoot Barnes TTSX 180g out of my 300 WM. Killed elk no problem out to 500 yards. I talked to Steve at Hammer, as I’m sure others have…he says 1800 fps is the lower limit for his bullets. However far that is for your particular set up. He claims there are zero documented bullet failures as long as you have the right twist to stabilize and stay above 1800 fps. I’ve not tried them myself yet..

philcox

WKR
My 6.5 with the 124HH is ~600y, 300WM with the 175 LRX is ~900y. I personally am only capable to the 600y mark, so both are fine for my setup.

On the contrary, I chased a bull in thick deadfall and shot him at about 5 yds with 30-06 Barnes ttsx 180 grain and all three shots to the vitals actually penciled through instead of expanding. I never recovered any of the rounds but each exit wound was as small as a dime. Obviously it’s anecdotal but I’ve read other instances of this happening at close range with monos.
Most likely the bullets opened and the petals sheared off leaving the base to exit with a relatively small hole. Hard to complain about performance in a dead critter…..

SDHNTR

WKR
On the contrary, I chased a bull in thick deadfall and shot him at about 5 yds with 30-06 Barnes ttsx 180 grain and all three shots to the vitals actually penciled through instead of expanding. I never recovered any of the rounds but each exit wound was as small as a dime. Obviously it’s anecdotal but I’ve read other instances of this happening at close range with monos.
Except that’s not how Barnes bullets work.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I'll post again what I posted on the other thread, as it's relevant here.
A new Rokslide Sponsor, G9 Defense, is releasing their 6.5 Creedmoor 113g. Long Range Hunter ammo soon.
The Brass bullets look very promising. With a claimed .585 BC and upwards of 3,000 fps in a full length barrel, they could very well up the performance of mono's out of the 6.5 CM. The 127 LRX worked well for me on the 500 yard sheep kill from a couple years ago, but being able to carry even more velocity out to that range & further would be great. The problem with light mono's is that they generally have lower BC's than bonded bullets. If the .585 is even close to accurate, it will put these in the same range as an ELD-X or M, but at significantly higher velocities.

We have some 113 going elk hunting next month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hoghead

WKR
I shot a buck this year at 572 yards
Drt.
7 sherman max 151 pva ciauga 3189fps
8400 fet elv.
Shot 1 at 498 same gun elv 1200 feet drt.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

brushape

WKR
Been shooting the 124 hammer hunters out of me creedmoor and 6.5 saum this year with great luck here is the entrance wound on a larger hog I hit square in the scapula. Shot was about 80 yards with a 3200 fps muzzle velocity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Macintosh

WKR
Man you guys overthink this stuff. I’m as technical as they come with most things and I almost exclusively shoot monos. I worry about accuracy and field practice. The critters die.
Do you think since I practice field shooting regularly I should have taken a shot at game that was well inside my shooting capability, but would have been well below the velocity I was confident the bullet would perform as expected? Guess I dont like shooting and not finding critters before the meat spoils, but if using an objective criteria to establish a max effective range when I know its less than my shooting capability is “overthinking it” Im happy to wear that hat.

SDHNTR

WKR
Do you think since I practice field shooting regularly I should have taken a shot at game that was well inside my shooting capability, but would have been well below the velocity I was confident the bullet would perform as expected? Guess I dont like shooting and not finding critters before the meat spoils, but if using an objective criteria to establish a max effective range when I know its less than my shooting capability is “overthinking it” Im happy to wear that hat.
Ok, I’ll bite. What cartridge were you shooting, what bullet and at what and at what range?

Macintosh

WKR
6.5cm federal trophy copper 120’s, trued muzzle velocity was under 2800fps. range was 504 yards. Antelope was only 200 yards from private land boundary, and it was 75 degrees out. Do you shoot? I didnt because while I am confident I get a hit, I am not confident the bullet expands.

Attachments

• 8E0044BB-7F5A-4B85-A7EC-DA7445BE6F74.png
    8E0044BB-7F5A-4B85-A7EC-DA7445BE6F74.png
    167.9 KB · Views: 49

SDHNTR

WKR
I shoot that bullet out of my 18” .308. Works great. No judgement passed, but were I in your shoes, I personally would have taken that shot without a second thought. Dead goat, easy. But if you didn’t feel right about it, you 100% made the right decision by passing.