Monos vs. Lead. Which do you choose and why?

That 6.5 thread got massively derailed as soon as someone noticed that I admitted I preferred monos, so I thought I'd create a venue for those who want to debate that topic.

There were some really good posts there explaining the facts behind lead and I sure hope they carry over to this thread. Lots of good info there.

And GO!

Northpark

WKR
Not sure I really want to jump into this dumpster fire.

I actually use both. Just depends on what the rifle likes and what I’m using the bullet for. I typically use lead for target practice and monos on big game, lead on varmints for explosive results, lead for really long shots. My personal max range on game is 600 yards so the lower B.C. found on most monos isn’t really that big of deal and can be mostly negated by driving them faster. Example I’ve got a 7-08ai that uses 140gr absolute hammers at 3003fps and 168 Berger VLDs at 2700. Inside 600 yards the hammer ballistics beat the the Berger, beyond that the Berger takes over. Just an example that I’m sure can be picked apart. As far as in game performance I guess I haven’t really seen much of a difference. And I’ve killed between 6-10 big game animals per year for the last 6 or 7 years.

• Banned
OP
Newtosavage
Not sure I really want to jump into this dumpster fire.

I actually use both. Just depends on what the rifle likes and what I’m using the bullet for. I typically use lead for target practice and monos on big game, lead on varmints for explosive results, lead for really long shots. My personal max range on game is 600 yards so the lower B.C. found on most monos isn’t really that big of deal and can be mostly negated by driving them faster. Example I’ve got a 7-08ai that uses 140gr absolute hammers at 3003fps and 168 Berger VLDs at 2700. Inside 600 yards the hammer ballistics beat the the Berger, beyond that the Berger takes over. Just an example that I’m sure can be picked apart. As far as in game performance I guess I haven’t really seen much of a difference. And I’ve killed between 6-10 big game animals per year for the last 6 or 7 years.
I've always been intrigued by the 7-08AI and should probably own one to just get it out of my system. :D

I typically use whatever shoots the best, but understand the limitations of each. My 308 shoots monos well but I use Bergers instead because it’s a short barrel/lower velocity gun. My 300 win mag shoots accubonds and ttsx the same, chose the copper because it’s got FPS to spare.
I’ve never had a bullet “failure”, regardless of its composition.

Northpark

WKR
I've always been intrigued by the 7-08AI and should probably own one to just get it out of my system. :D
I got mine a bit over a year ago. Now that I have it I’ll probably always have one. It very quickly became my go to rifle in the safe unless I’m going elk or bear hunting then I grab the .300 Win mag, though I’m sure the 7-08ai would do just fine on either of those too. I think you need a new gun.

Always lead. Way better performance on game, significantly better BCs, bullets expand at lower velocities, and there is no evidence that anybody has been poisoned or killed by consuming lead shot game. If it is a huge concern don’t shoot them in the backstraps, tenderloin, or rear quarters. That is where most of the meat comes from. Seriously, If this was an issue, my grandpa wouldnt have lived long. All he ate his entire life was lead shot game. I tried monos once, was underwhelmed. I will never shoot a mono again as long as I live in a free state that gives me the choice.

This is a side note and is without influence. A number of years ago a friend of mine who sold cast lead bullets told me that by adding silver to the lead it made it less likely to fragment. From my background in mining and metallurgy, I have wondered if companies have experimented with this to get better performance from their products. Just curious.

Mule deer doe and pronghorn: 150 grain mono
Mule deer buck, elk, or bigger: 175 grain bonded.

I keep impact on Barnes > 2400 fps per my own testing. 2200-2400 fps I'm going high shoulder shot quickly anchor game. < 2200 fps I don't shoot and this determines my max yardage. I've had poor opening below 2200 fps and my own testing to confirm inconsistent opening between 2000-2100 fps. Referring to TTSX.

Heavy monos don't maintain > 2400 fps out to a yardage that I need, for this reason, I use bonded bullets in the heavier options. I look for very high retention (%). I'm not interested in fragments in the meat. Not too worried about this form of lead, it's not toxic, more so my teeth. LOL

I've had very good results with mono but bonded terminal performance, IME, is more impressive.

A personal choice and bit of personal hypocrisy for me, but:

1 - i am heavily against lead bullet bans for hunting and any other reason. I think it is a slippery slope that could become part of the anti 2A crowd‘s effort to push up the cost of recreational and other forms of shooting in order to squeeze the life out of shooting in general.

2 - I prefer to and do shoot monos whenever possible.

again, it is a personal choice for me.

Last edited:

Tradchef

WKR
My first year using mono’s to hunt with this year. Barnes TTSX in 180 grain out of the 35 Whelen. It did a fantastic job. To say I prefer one over the other…. Not sure. I’d probably go with lead as I can get heavier options but I wouldn’t be upset if I had to use copper either 🤷

WCB

WKR
I shoot lead 100%...I don't have a gun that shoots monos as well as the lead from factory offerings. I've had zero issues with lead core bullets and I see absolutely zero reason to shoot monos. Accubonds, Trophy Bonded Tip.