How far are you shooting monos?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
@Formidilosus, appreciate your input on this. If you had to shoot monos, what’s the best muzzle velocity/ bullet combo for up to elk out to 450 or so? And if handloading wasn’t on the table, is there a mono easy button for cartridge choice and factory load with the same up-to-elk-out-to-450 parameters? Thanks in advance!

Hand loading- 22CM with 77gr Barnes LRX

Factory- 6cm Barnes Vortex 95gr LRX.

2-Stix

WKR
I have shot blacktail at 75, 125, 175, 225, 225, 217 with TSX, TTSX and LRX the last few years.

Longest shot on elk from a 35 Whelen AI was 341 yds with the 200 gr original X. Second longest on elk was 324 yds with 300 Win Mag and the 180 XBT (boat tail version of the X).

490 yds. Bull elk. Barnes 225 TTSX. 338 WM 2850 MV. DRT with chest shot and no major bone contact. Complete pass through. Quarter sized exit. Didn't do that much damage, but obviously was enough. Had other shots with the same set up at bull elk much closer that zipped through and the animals kept right on going for 50-200 yds.

I loaded the Barnes in the 338 for oblique angles shots at large game, and for that they are fantastic. Wouldn't feel too slighted if constrained to use that load on everything.

In smaller calibers I have generally used cup and core or bonded. Generally prefer them over the monos, but as stated, don't have a ton of experience with monos in anything under 30 cal, so its for no other reason that not changing from what's worked for 30 years and piles of animals that includes some depredation work on deer. Keep meaning to do more experimenting, but just don't kill the numbers of game that I used to.

Recently built a 6.5 PRC with the thought of keeping velocity up for longer shots with monos on larger game. Still messing with loads.