Meateater Booze???

Who are the big names in hunting who a regular Joe outside of our circle of people who hunt are likely to know of? Who are people going to associate the image of what a hunter is with?

Off the top of my head I can think of-

Rinella
Rogan
Pig Man whatever his name is
The Duck Dynasty Guys
Ted Nugent
Maybe Cam Hanes and Randy Newberg

Now look at that list and tell me which of those folks do we WANT the average person to think of as what a hunter is.

Two names on that list can represent me as a hunter any day. The rest I don't want speaking for me at any time, and one in particular that never seems to shut his stupid mouth.

Sorry brotha but you couldn't be more wrong.

Rinella is the only hunting show my wife will sit down and watch with me. Period. That's the effect he's had. He's done more for hunting and conservation than you or I ever will.

I'll add to that comment that I once asked my wife - after enjoying 8-10 episodes - if she recalled hearing him promote any particular brand of product he was using. She said "no, I can't say I have." I told her, that's a big reason I watch and she agreed.

Saying Rinella is in the same category as so many other shows that are essentially infomercials (and not even interesting ones) is inaccurate and mean spirited. I have no idea why a fellow hunter would make such a claim when we need all the Rinellas and Newbergs we can get on TV these days.

OP
ODB

ODB

WKR
I'll add to that comment that I once asked my wife - after enjoying 8-10 episodes - if she recalled hearing him promote any particular brand of product he was using. She said "no, I can't say I have." I told her, that's a big reason I watch and she agreed.

Saying Rinella is in the same category as so many other shows that are essentially infomercials (and not even interesting ones) is inaccurate and mean spirited. I have no idea why a fellow hunter would make such a claim when we need all the Rinellas and Newbergs we can get on TV these days.

You don’t need to be explicit in your promotions when you KNOW your followers/supporters are waiting with bated breath to see what you are using because they think it’s a pathway to success.

Just look at the Instagram feed...notice how many times you see “What xxx is that?” There is a fine lin between a supporter and a sycophant.

I’ve said it a thousand times, he’s a non-spokesman spokesman. Although he is doing direct ads on the podcast.

Good for him, it’s his ride.

You don’t need to be explicit in your promotions when you KNOW your followers/supporters are waiting with bated breath to see what you are using because they think it’s a pathway to success.

Just look at the Instagram feed...notice how many times you see “What xxx is that?” There is a fine lin between a supporter and a sycophant.

I’ve said it a thousand times, he’s a non-spokesman spokesman. Although he is doing direct ads on the podcast.

Good for him, it’s his ride.
Very well said, and a point that is lost on the generally low-IQ outdoor show "stars" in the industry that feed the stereotype all too well.

Mosby

WKR
For me its none of the above. Steve Rinella and Randy Newberg are smart, well educated men and hunters. I respect that but its a business to them, it's all about making money and they aren't going to change anyone's opinion about us or hunting IMO. Doesn't make them bad people but the only thing they are representing is themselves and sponsors.

I am also not going to be putting in 15 mile days unless I'm lost and I'm not hunting with Llama's any time soon. My camo never matches, my hunting pants have been repaired by my wife several times, my boots are well worn and my hats have sweat stains. I paid for everything I use and I use my stuff for years before I replace it. Leupold isn't paying for my tags either, so I really can't relate to these guys. I don't watch basketball, baseball or hockey anymore either, so its probably me.

Last edited:
What's funny is those two are the only ones I can relate to anymore. Every other show I know of is filmed on private land I'll never get to hunt and most of the time over bait or a corn/soybean/alfalfa field. There are a number of "western" hunting shows on the air right now, and I always end up turning them off after the word "ranch" comes up.

OP
ODB

ODB

WKR
Nugent is fun to rip on now apparently, but back in 1990, the World Bowhunters org was pretty fun. Got backstage passes to concerts, swag, and all kinds of stuff. Given there was no internet then, it’s amazing how much exposure he got on the hunting side. Debates with anti-hunters, spots on a Current Event TV, was good stuff. You don’t have to like him, but you cannot out argue him - that guy has a quick mind and a faster tongue.

Nugent is fun to rip on now apparently, but back in 1990, the World Bowhunters org was pretty fun. Got backstage passes to concerts, swag, and all kinds of stuff. Given there was no internet then, it’s amazing how much exposure he got on the hunting side. Debates with anti-hunters, spots on a Current Event TV, was good stuff. You don’t have to like him, but you cannot out argue him - that guy has a quick mind and a faster tongue.
Nope, you'll never win an argument against someone who is willing to lie.

bmf0713

WKR
I dont see anything wrong with what Rinella is doing. I'd put my label on a tampon if it was gonna make me money. I still watch his show because its not like every other hunting show with 5 minutes of hunting and 25 minutes of commercials. And he isnt like those other dumb hillbillies on those reality shows.

jspradley

WKR

Nuge is an incredibly intelligent and witty person. I''m about 60/40 with him. When he's right, he's right but then sometimes he opens his mouth and I think "OH NO BABY WHAT IS YOU DOIN?!??"

THBZN

Lil-Rokslider
I think we all to a certain degree get wrapped up in "the now" of what Rinella/MeatEater is doing in terms of advertising, sponsors, investors, etc.

But look back at the span of his career, and subsequent influence on the hunting/fishing/food/cooking community way outside of the 'core' user group. He has had a lot of influence, and many people I run into who have never hunted know who he is, and like his "angle" on things.
The Scavenger's Guide to Haute Cuisine was written 13 years ago, his first book I believe. That is roughly half as long many of the so-called "influencers" (sorry, threw up a bit in my mouth typing that) have been alive, let alone hunting. And somehow, they have taken the position of experts and role models......yikes. Let me pour a tall glass of MeatEater Bourbon, STAT.

MeatEater, IMO, has morphed from a really authentic concept that came to life in approachable, well-shot shows, good writing, articles, etc. into a bona fide business that has staff, overhead, 401(k)s, goals, KPIs, etc. I am pretty certain most of us, if given the same chance would sign on sponsors, etc. to keep doing it, and see the need to "grow the brand". If it spreads the message more broadly about the importance of knowing where your food comes from, public land value, the ethics and heritage of hunters, than I am all for it. And, perhaps equally important, if it helps grow our ever-aging (and declining) hunting population, even better.

While maybe a bit of a stretch, this is reminiscent of flyfishing post-River Runs Through It. Look at how that sport went from the perception of old white guys stalking 10" trout with #22 flies and pontificating over the preferred flex of bamboo flyrods to a younger, more brash approach to "ripping streamers", chasing Giant Trevally in the Seychelles, fly tying taken to next levels, more than few flatbills, and frankly, a refreshing shot in the arm of the sport. Lots of names associated with that "movement", and for some of the negatives (secret spots getting overblown, $300 pliers, PBR irony, etc.) it was good for flyfishing as a whole.

So, long winded reply over.....bring on the MeatEater bourbon, and while they are at it, how about a Cohiba/MeatEater collaboration? They can tie it into their next fishing venture to Cuba.....the Rinella Robusto? The Putelis Presidente? Save me a few.

DamnRinella

Lil-Rokslider
Figured I should chime in. As someone who lives in FL, wasn’t raised hunting, and almost 40 years old. Rinella via Joe Rogan got me interested in hunting and now I am just starting. It’s quite the learning curve and difficult in FL, with the limited public lands, plus mainly tree stands. Doing my first CO elk hunt in October and “damn rinella” as I had no idea how expensive it is! But super excited and don’t want to regret not doing it. Rinella, Shockey, and Newberg got me interested as they are educated, well spoken, and also show what an adventur each hunt is despite whether they shoot something, I apply the same thought to fishing since I was young. It’s the experience and even bad experiences are good eventually. Just my 02 cents.... Regarding the bourbon etc.. doesn’t interest me... rather buy buffalo trace!

MeatEater, IMO, has morphed from a really authentic concept that came to life in approachable, well-shot shows, good writing, articles, etc. into a bona fide business that has staff, overhead, 401(k)s, goals, KPIs, etc. I am pretty certain most of us, if given the same chance would sign on sponsors, etc. to keep doing it, and see the need to "grow the brand". If it spreads the message more broadly about the importance of knowing where your food comes from, public land value, the ethics and heritage of hunters, than I am all for it. And, perhaps equally important, if it helps grow our ever-aging (and declining) hunting population...

I’ve been with him since the start of the tv and podcasts and back then he had a really great genuine message. But lately he lost me. When he morphed into a big ad business it watered down the great message that I enjoyed. Now 4 out of 5 podcasts are just his flat bill bros telling jokes and pushing boot sponsors, very few genuine conservation or ecology guests anymore. His tv shows are filled with subliminal branding for his camo, optics, and rifle sponsors. Hell last seasons “cooking special” could have been aired on home shopping network to sell vacuum sealers and pellet grills. Yes, he is different than all the red neck idiots on other hunting shows, but different dosent necessarily mean better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scottyboy

WKR
I gave up on hunting shows years ago. Not just his. All of them. All about selling products now. I don't blame them. I would do it too, if I could but I don't enjoy the shows anymore. The last time I saw Lee & Tiffany, I spent the whole show thinking about whether they are real or fake. Once I looked long enough to make a decision, I turned it off. I felt like a dog chasing a car if you know what I mean. Meateater lost me when I watched him eat under cooked bear meat but it did provide a nice laugh later when I read he got sick. I admit to a weird sense of humor.

I don't really drink much either anymore but when I do drink, it won't be 5 year old bourbon sponsored by a guy who doesn't drink.

I have a stash of bourbon and quality Tennessee whiskey and 10 year old bourbon is sort of where I start. Anything younger and I give it to my nephews who are young and dumb. They are just going to put ginger ale in it anyway. Negligence in their upbringing. I took my son on the bourbon trail to ensure he was properly educated and important knowledge was passed down.

Meateater whiskey isn't touching my lips, no matter how much the guy has done for hunting.
You could probably use it as an effective hand sanitizer though in a pinch. I feel better now.

I’m going to politely challenge you to forget about your 10yr age statement. I can send you some samples that will blow away, Michters 10 for example. Don’t sleep on old elk, which is ~4?yr MGP juice that is absolutely fantastic...even better if you can find a barrel pick at cask strength. I tend to agree with you though, however there are many..many great products under 10 years for both whiskey and ryes. (Do yourself a favor and grab a old Forster rye for 25ish bucks, you are in for a treat)

Mosby

WKR
I’m going to politely challenge you to forget about your 10yr age statement. I can send you some samples that will blow away, Michters 10 for example. Don’t sleep on old elk, which is ~4?yr MGP juice that is absolutely fantastic...even better if you can find a barrel pick at cask strength. I tend to agree with you though, however there are many..many great products under 10 years for both whiskey and ryes. (Do yourself a favor and grab a old Forster rye for 25ish bucks, you are in for a treat)
I have been thinking about trying some OF for awhile now. Never had Michters. I never heard of Old Elk until two days ago when I saw it by accident. I am working on a bottle of Heaven Hill Bottled in Bond 6 year old right now that I got in Kentucky. Its ok for an everyday whiskey. Probably won't buy more. I do try younger whiskey's that people recommend or if I find a store selection. I just tend not to like them as much as the older stuff.

I will pick up a bottle of Old Forester when I finish the HH. I am always open to picking up a new bottle of something. I have a large amount of Elijah Craig 12 year old, Henry McKenna and some store select Evan Williams that are my favorites bourbons. All were under $30 when I bought them. I have more expensive bottles but I could live out my days with just these three. For some reason, I really like Heaven Hill distillery products.

IdahoElk

WKR
While I have never seen a Meat eater episode or listened to his podcast and wish him nothing but success I do believe the goal of most businesses is to make money and turn a profit for the shareholders,period.
IMO People that think all these hunting personalities whether on tv,youtube or podcasts do it to better the sport as their primary goal are not living in reality,remove the ability to profit from their target market(us hunters) and a majority of these people would disappear.