Lead in Meat Discussion

This seems to be more woke america propaganda being pushed by people who make money off of people shooting monos. My grandparents lived off lead shot game meat well into their 90’s. I bet the same people who switch to copper bullets so their kids aren’t eating lead shot meat still feed their kid processed foods.

100%

OP
D
I bet the same people who switch to copper bullets so their kids aren’t eating lead shot meat still feed their kid processed foods.

I guess it would depend on what your definition of processed food is. My definition of processed food is anything I have to buy at the grocery store.

I'll say that we eat processed food in our house, but very little HIGHLY processed food. IE anything commercially produced to be shelf stable for more than a week.

We try to make our own just about everything. I'm getting to the point of even trying to make my own seasonings. It ain't easy or time efficient.

My kids eat all sorts of crackers and granola bars and cheese sticks meat sticks etc, tortillas, spaghetti. I'd say a good bulk of their calories spent time inside a factory. I kind of hate it. And I would wager we cook more fresh food than most people.

OP
D
My kids eat all sorts of crackers and granola bars and cheese sticks meat sticks etc, tortillas, spaghetti. I'd say a good bulk of their calories spent time inside a factory. I kind of hate it. And I would wager we cook more fresh food than most people.

I'm working making my own crackers too.. Can't figure them out just yet, so its just stale bread hahahaha

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
So, to complicate the discussion, I was thinking about mercury exposure from fish and how I feed my kids a lot of salmon (sometimes above the recommended amount).

For me the difference is lead is easy to avoid, copper works well and is not more expensive than premium lead bullets like AccuBonds. Nothing really changes. Very small risk, but benefits are negligible, so risk outweighs benefits for my family.

Fish is a primary food source, it provides many nutrients. In Alaska it is the cheapest way to fill my freezer and saves us a lot of money. Plus, Salmon is a low mercury fish. Probably a higher risk than lead, but several notable benefits, so benefits outweigh risk for my family.

I Butch on my own. I always go for the shot through the rib cage right above the heart. Sometimes them off a little bit, especially if it’s running. I have had lead fragments in the opposite shoulder of an elk. I removed the fragments and tossed the meet. It was not much.

Also, I dove hunt every year. I always eat a few limits with the family. I have had lunch shot and my green chili unfortunately. Probably not the best for you, but what we can do is try to get them out.

As far as other animals go, lead poisoning is very dangerous for condors. The ones near the Grand Canyon very susceptible to it.

Z71&Gun

Lil-Rokslider
Joe Rogan interviewed a lady who said microplastics in food make you gay and make your taint small, so I switched from plastic tipped copper back to lead. The guys all say my taint looks much bigger now.

eoperator

WKR
In the last month I have picked up 1/2dozen dead small birds in my wifes flower garden. Didn't think much of it, I thought the outside cat maybe killed them and left them there. While filling the bird bath I noticed some copper chunks in the bottom that I am fairly sure are hammer bullet petals. My dirt berm(clay) shooting backstop is 250yrds away from bird bath. Strange🤷‍♂️16912454182645435942320099926231.jpg

Sanchez

Lil-Rokslider
I have shot and eaten 100+ big game animals shot with lead. I use bullets that do not grenade, usually hit the animal in the neck, head or ribs, and trim well. I have found zero lead in the meat. I have no concern over effects on human health and will continue to use lead.

bergie

Lil-Rokslider
I switched to copper a few years back...not because of and I love this line ""condors" or "vultures" or (insert libtard PETA argument here)" The first animal n my house shot with copper was my wifes bull elk with a 300 WSM. She hit the front shoulder on impact side, then the bullet broke the opposite side humerus. The only damaged meat was within about 2" of the wound channel. I butcher my own meat so this was a big deal to me. my wife and I now exclusively shoot copper on critters I intend to eat (coyotes still get exploding lead bullets) and will not take shots at distances where the velocity drops below 2000 fps. My wife has since shot at 3 elk and a deer and not one made it more than 50 yards at ranges of 200-400 yards. I primarily archery hunt so the only critter I have killed with a copper bullet was this years whitetail at 140 yards and he only made it 40 yards.
Again I AM NOT ANTI LEAD! But I do hate dealing with blood shot meat and man these copper bullets are incredible when it comes to minimizing meat loss.

Iowafarmer

Lil-Rokslider
Here is a discussion that might be controversial. Some people in willfully ignorant, some are just ignorant because they haven't discussed it or bothered to listen to conversations

I personally have transitioned to all copper bullets for big game hunting. I've used trad cup/core bullets and then about 12 years ago I started shooting deer with SMK's. I knew they weren't designed for hunting but as anyone who shoots targets knows that SMKs are accurate and consistent. If you don't know, they are a non bonded hollow point. They basically penetrate a couple inches and then blow up. Liquified heart and lungs put deer down on the spot. I thought they were the best thing since sliced bread till i ended up with a chunk of lead in my mouth during dinner and another friend found a piece of the copper jacket in his steak that I gave him. On another deer I found a chuck of copper jacket and my brain started analyzing the liquified lungs and heart. The lead spray was visibly all over the chest cavity on the off side of the shot. Even though bonded bullets stay intact much better, you still get some lead spray due to high speed impact.

I am well aware of lead free bullets not having the best BC, but they are getting better and designs are improving for sub sonic and supersonic designed all copper bullets. I said all that to say I haven't jumped the bandwagon because of "condors" or "vultures" or (insert libtard PETA argument here) but mostly for my own health. Granted I live on the east coast so 200 yards is a "far shot" by standards where I hunt. I also understand that performance beyond ~700yards (per ballistic data) seems to not favor the copper solids.

Opinions? Something I'm missing?
Here’s a couple Barnes TSX I recovered from whitetail I won’t be using those again

Attachments

• IMG_2525.jpeg
    IMG_2525.jpeg
    115.8 KB · Views: 37

Dirtbag

WKR
With the amount of cancerous plastic and preservatives in all the other food and water you consume, lead in game meat is an absolute nothing burger.

besides, if you ate so much game meat you got cancer from the trace amounts of lead in it, you lived a great life anyway.

Wyo_hntr

WKR
The lead scare is meant to further reduce people's capability to shoot. The entities pushing for lead projectile bans are playing the long game. First waterfowl, then national wildlife refuges, next NF and blm.

Chipping away at our ability to economically use firearms.

For that reason alone I will never capitulate and use a mono non-lead bullet.

WKR
Lead based paint and lead contaminated dust in older homes and buildings is the primary cause of elevated lead levels in kids per Mayo Clinic. I never let me kids play in old buildings or eat lead paint. So I feel like I can shoot lead bullets and not worry about it.

Don't be poor, don't live in old buildings in communities run by democrats, and don't worry about lead bullets. Be happy.