Lead in Meat Discussion

johnnycake

Lil-Rokslider
Probably related to torment from 4 mean ex wives and being a drunk for 40 years ;)
Makes ya shakey ;)
Eating hundreds of lead shot quail every year til I was 30 Probably didn't help.
Maybe without lead you wouldn't have ended up in the situations that resulted 4 ex wives and 4 decades of drinking?

bergie

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t want to read all nine pages so I’m asking for the Cliff’s Notes version.

P
Don't worry about lead ingestion. Shoot a few critters with copper and you won't go back....if you process your own meat and hate bloodshot bullshit all over your table. If you take it to a butcher shoot it with whatever you want to make that sucker dead, and tbh lead generally makes em dead a little bit faster than copper.

Don't worry about lead ingestion. Shoot a few critters with copper and you won't go back....if you process your own meat and hate bloodshot bullshit all over your table. If you take it to a butcher shoot it with whatever you want to make that sucker dead, and tbh lead generally makes em dead a little bit faster than copper.

Good news, I’m a lung shooter, don’t worry much about bloodshot.

I‘ve been cutting my own since the first one.

Thank me later.

P

bergie

Lil-Rokslider
Good news, I’m a lung shooter, don’t worry much about bloodshot.

I‘ve been cutting my own since the first one.

Thank me later.

P
I am legitimately impressed that you have never pulled a shot a bit far forward and hit shoulder, or taken anything other than a perfectly broadside shot and hit the offside shoulder.

The science on lead consumption by mammals and birds ( and yes even in the form of metallic lead) clearly indicates toxicity/neurological harm from even minimal exposure. In humans there is no safe level of lead and consumption can cause permanent impacts on the developing brains of children. Your game eatin granpappies living to 90 is irrelevant and they very likely had reduced IQs from exposure to leaded gasoline, leaded paint and weekly doses of lead shot in their dinner. Raptors and scavengers with highly acidic digestive system are also particularly susceptible. Hunters that boast about their lack of concern for condors or raptors or suggest non leaded ammo use is falling into a conspiracy to somehow disarm us all are doing the hunting community no service. Copper bullets like the TTSX, LRX, GMX, Hammer Hunter at impact velocities out to 400-700 yards depending on caliber absolutely blast animals with plenty of authority and dont poison other scavengers or increase the risk to your kids. Seems like Rokslide is recently a bit of an anti mono echo chamber and claims about lost animals are very likely the same dudes shooting too much recoil caliber and is just plain poor shooting. Spend 5 seconds on any African hunting forum and you'll understand just how effective these bullets are, from gazelle to cape buffalo to elephants.

Last edited:

Wyo_hntr

WKR
very likely the same dudes shooting too much recoil caliber and is just plain poor shooting.
Copper projectiles usually require a higher velocity to perform. Could it be folks are shooting cartridges with too much recoil in order to ensure their copper projectiles have the velocity required to work? I personally know a guy that went from shooting everything with a 6.8spc to a 300win mag just to use copper bullets.

I also wonder how much people are practicing when they are shooting expensive mono bullets. I'm sure some do.

The raptor discussion is interesting. Personally I've never seen more birds of prey in my life than the past few years....bald eagles, Goldens, swainsons, redtails, falcons, etc. I'm glad the wind turbines haven't killed them all yet.

My take, all politics aside, is Barnes are absolute hammers on elk, at least in 30 cal. Accubonds are a good compromise that are leaded but stay together. I don't get "frangible", that's the last thing I want, but I'm not a long range guy.

And I don't buy into the idea that you need to have a screaming velocity and size down to use them. TTSX and LRX have like a 1500 minimum velocity. They work fine in milder cartridges.