It wasn’t Talley - it’s apparently me. Scope won’t stay fixed - Update: fixed. Added to first post

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Send a close up picture of the top of the action with no bases on. Then send picture with just the bases on close up as well. From the side and too please.

OP
Bluto

Bluto

WKR
What about Talley steel rings? Have you tried them. Their screw lock detachable rings are bomb proof. Somewhat similar concept to a two piece rail attachment.
These guys? Not familiar but I love that they don’t have a big bolt head sticking out of the side.

SDHNTR

WKR
These guys? Not familiar but I love that they don’t have a big bolt head sticking out of the side.

No, not those. Those are rings for standard 1913 pic rails.

The Screw Lock Derachable rings are a vertically split ring that mounts onto Talley two piece bases. Those bases have a recess that the ring fits into before clamping down. And the rings then stay on the scope, like a pic rail, if you ever want to remove it. Then you can later put scope back onto bases and retain zero (pretty much), like on a rail. They are pretty slick. You get a lot of the functionality of a rail setup but without that fugly thing dorking up the look of your rifle. They are steel and very robust.

OP
Bluto

Bluto

WKR
Send a close up picture of the top of the action with no bases on. Then send picture with just the bases on close up as well. From the side and too please.

Just pulled the scope. Bit of residue on the forward part of the action still but there it is.

4D1E0859-3293-49EB-A78A-5775F92CAD6C.jpeg

OP
Bluto

Bluto

WKR
Just finger tightened the Talley’s back on and the scope binds. (Definitely didn’t do that before nor with the Leupold’s). Guess I’ll rush ship the rail.

SDHNTR

WKR
Just finger tightened the Talley’s back on and the scope binds. (Definitely didn’t do that before nor with the Leupold’s). Guess I’ll rush ship the rail.
That’s why I usually lap the lightweights.

OP
Bluto

Bluto

WKR
They need it now. Or something. Beyond my DIY. Fit like a dream the first time.

OP
Bluto

Bluto

WKR
EGW rail and Seekins rings on the way. Two day shipping ain’t cheap. This way I can personally degrease everything and then the gunsmith can install, cut the rail, and I can slap on the rings.

freddyG

WKR
There is no reason that the Talley ring-mounts cannot be perfectly functional. They might not be the "best" but they are very serviceable and not a shit show
The talleys of yesteryear were much better quality than todays rings. Todays talleys will work if you lap then bed them, but out of the box they are rarely going to work.

Below is a pic of a talley lightweight on an swfa tube. It was so out of spec, it wouldn’t even fit the scope tube. When sent back to talley along with three other sets in the same condition, talley acknowledged the rings were out of spec, and sent back 4 different pairs that were also out of spec. When I talked to them again, they said that I was sent the best “in spec examples“, and scope rings don’t need to be round.🤪

I’m not surprised OP is having problems. Its not anything he is doing, he just bought rings that need lapped/bedded to function.

Attachments

• 589C309E-A6FE-4069-919C-CFFC874C37D4.png
    589C309E-A6FE-4069-919C-CFFC874C37D4.png
    190.2 KB · Views: 63

freddyG

WKR
BTW. Seekins lows are .82 high, which will put you at around 1.2 total height with the EGW rail. From looking at your pics, you won‘t be much higher that you are now.

ChrisAU

WKR

What do you mean finger tightened? You can’t turn the screws with your finger on a Talley.

I still think your torque wrench is out of spec. That can happen if you leave it off of 0 (I.e. you dial it up to 20 in/lbs and leave it there for 6 months). You may only be putting 10 in/lbs on your screws and all of your mounting options would work if not for that.

PsRpOiGrRiAtM

Lil-Rokslider
That's concerning. Make sure the Talleys are snugged down on the receiver, so they're true to the center line, and then put the scope in there again. If it binds, I'd be concerned that you bent your scope tube using the wrong mounts from Leupold.

SDHNTR

WKR
fwiw, I just had a pair of ARC MBrace rings, arguably the best available at any price, that were not round and were binding on a brand new March tube. Just like Talley lightweight's do. I'll lap a $50 Talley, I'm not lapping a $170 MBrace! Back they went.

OP
Bluto

Bluto

WKR
What do you mean finger tightened? You can’t turn the screws with your finger on a Talley.

I still think your torque wrench is out of spec. That can happen if you leave it off of 0 (I.e. you dial it up to 20 in/lbs and leave it there for 6 months). You may only be putting 10 in/lbs on your screws and all of your mounting options would work if not for that.
Just with the little end of the included torx wrench, fingertip snug.

I suppose it could be? It’s never been left off of zero, I bought a new one and it’s only been used on this rifle. I also torque checked with a gun shop on the rings. Not scientific calibration, but it’s at least in the ballpark. Set at 25 it’s definitely more than 10 or 15. I’d bet that it’s over 20. Is it 22 or 24? I don’t think I can realistically tell that with my hand, but it’s close.

OP
Bluto

Bluto

WKR
That's concerning. Make sure the Talleys are snugged down on the receiver, so they're true to the center line, and then put the scope in there again. If it binds, I'd be concerned that you bent your scope tube using the wrong mounts from Leupold.

Same first thought that I had. But, loosening the ring caps on the Leupold’s it was still fine. Bent to shape of the Leupold’s? I can’t verify that it’s not. But, I did slide it forward and aft offset from the mounting points, no difference. I took 10-15 different measurements along the scope tube with digital calipers, no variance. I *think* the scope tube is fine, but we’re about to find out. (I’m assuming the Seekins rings are true so we’ll see when they get here.)

OP
Bluto

Bluto

WKR
PS - if anyone needs an EGW rail, optics planet has some great prices on them right now depending on application.