It wasn’t Talley - it’s apparently me. Scope won’t stay fixed - Update: fixed. Added to first post

OP
Bluto

Bluto

WKR
Copy. I actually thought the rear looked too high just eyeballing it when I switched to these rings. Clearly that wasn’t the case. If it makes any difference at 25yds, the bullets are light. 150gr. I didn’t want to waste accubonds figuring out if the scope was right.

I don’t disagree with you at all at this point.

That said, what I *want* is a rifle that doesn’t require a gunsmith just to mount a scope and hunt.

OP
Bluto

Bluto

WKR
Yup, 6 lug. I’ll dig the package out for the Leupold’s. The Talley is long gone. Let me see what I can find.

OP
Bluto

Bluto

WKR
This is from the order form on the Talley’s.

Talley 730706 30MM Lightweight (Non-Magum) (6 Lug) (Low) F .435 R .500 Height​

image.jpg

nobody

WKR
Any particular reason you don't order up a one piece pic rail? That would let you order some Seekins Precision lows or Vortex PMR lows (same ring, different logo) and let you get away from the one piece rings that seem to be causing problems.

OP
Bluto

Bluto

WKR
Not a fan would be putting it mildly. They’re in the way loading the rifle, and fugly as sin. So mainly the first reason, but I honestly hate them on a hunting rifle. The Near Mfg one looks nice, but it should for $400-ish. That’s crazy to me for a scope mount.

My initial attempt, tried and ordered via trial and error for several weeks, was Seekins or Hawkins. But the bases just aren’t out there for pic rings.

Have you verified the scope is turning by checking level again before breaking anything loose?

Or are the cross hairs turning in the scope

Not a fan would be putting it mildly. They’re in the way loading the rifle, and fugly as sin. So mainly the first reason, but I honestly hate them on a hunting rifle. The Near Mfg one looks nice, but it should for $400-ish. That’s crazy to me for a scope mount.
Is it crazier then having a bunch of problems and wasting time and ammo?

If you really are in a time crunch you need to just slap a rail on it and re visit it next year.

Only reason I keep saying take it to a Smith is you are missing something. They should have the know how and tools to figure it out.

BjornF16

WKR
I’m wondering if those Part# 171124 Leupold Ringmounts aren’t for 9 lug.

Leupold also has a LT version of the 30mm Mediums, Part# 177159

Nowhere does Leupold mention 6 or 9 lug action.

OP
Bluto

Bluto

WKR
Yep, looks it. I can’t find that info anywhere on the Leupold site. (I don’t have a Leupold scope so I didn’t use the “find mount” option.)

BigNate

WKR
Is there any chance your base is canted for LR shooting? 20moa base and having rings of different heights could be a bad combination if everything isn't accounted for.

I went through the same search for rings on a Mark V Ultralightweight several years ago. There were not many options then. I went with aluminum Tally's and thankfully, they worked out.

Seems like the choices are still limited. I hope you get it sorted out. This is definitely a head-scratcher.

OP
Bluto

Bluto

WKR
Wrong mount buddy
You needed 177159

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Hm. So the 30mm low mount for weatherby non magnum 6 lug is wrong? I’ll try anything, believe me. But how do I find the right ones if the matching description are the wrong ones?

I’m wondering if those Part# 171124 Leupold Ringmounts aren’t for 9 lug.

Leupold also has a LT version of the 30mm Mediums, Part# 177159

Nowhere does Leupold mention 6 or 9 lug action.

Looks like it. I found the same, no description of 9 nor 6 lug. Just “Mark V”

OP
Bluto

Bluto

WKR
Up to this point, the whole scope has rotated. Turrets were visibly off center without needing to measure.

nobody

WKR
Is it crazier then having a bunch of problems and wasting time and ammo?

If you really are in a time crunch you need to just slap a rail on it and re visit it next year.

Only reason I keep saying take it to a Smith is you are missing something. They should have the know how and tools to figure it out.
I agree with this. I would rather have less visually desirable but perfectly functional. Doesn't do any good if you like how it looks but it doesn't function. Well said sir.

OP
Bluto

Bluto

WKR
Is there any chance your base is canted for LR shooting? 20moa base and having rings of different heights could be a bad combination if everything isn't accounted for.
Unknown. Nothing in the product description and I would specifically avoid them if able. But I’m not sure.