It wasn’t Talley - it’s apparently me. Scope won’t stay fixed - Update: fixed. Added to first post

freddyG

WKR
Seekins rings will be true. They fit like a glove whenever I have used them. They are good to go.

Be doubly careful. Egw rails are notorious for not having enough material for the screws to actual hold them right to the action. So the scope might sit nice in the rings, but the whole thing slide around on the action.

Weatherby and savage both have really, really crappy scope mounting options. Go trade that thing for a tikka and walk out with $ in your pocket.

OP
Bluto

Bluto

WKR
FML. I hope you guys are joking.

How is putting a scope on a rifle suddenly more difficult than a moon landing?

I almost ordered another rifle yesterday. But Tikka doesn’t make one this light and I’m sure it’s backordered like everything else. Funny you mention savage, they’re one of the total of four options Burris makes two piece bases for. Everyone else is screwed.

I’ll call optics planet back and verify stock.

Edit. They were willing to verify in stock over the phone. Not sure if I should 100% believe that or not now?

Is there a rail commonly available that there’s a consensus actually works? I may order from the evil A since it’s free returns as a backup….

Last edited:

Fatcamp

WKR
I've used a dozen EGW rails work no issues.

Yes, you probably want to verify to threads are catching properly in the receiver. Put in one screw at a time, try to move base, cycle bolt, on to the next.

OP
Bluto

Bluto

WKR
Well, maybe. The Leupold’s were wrong. The Talley’s are definitely odd? But…could have been several small things I think.

Next is a rail (blah) and high dollar rings. THEN it won’t make any sense.

Although, to your point, the twist with no fore/aft movement was always weird. To me.

fwafwow

WKR
+ subscribed. Sorry to the OP for having to go through this. I had a user error scope issue recently and it was so frustrating. I’m watching this intently. It’s a great substantive diversion from the BOAL threads.

This thread is making me think my next rifle is determined in the following steps: (1) pick a Form recommended scope, (2) determine and buy the best bases and rings for that scope, and (3) only then choose the best rifle that goes with said scope, bases and rings.

OP
Bluto

Bluto

WKR
Until recently, I might’ve said that was silly. I’m not so sure it’s a bad idea.

If one wanted to mix it up I guess you could just make sure you buy a Rem700 or Tikka action. They seem to always be available, neither of which I had any interest in.

amassi

WKR
+ subscribed. Sorry to the OP for having to go through this. I had a user error scope issue recently and it was so frustrating. I’m watching this intently. It’s a great substantive diversion from the BOAL threads.

This thread is making me think my next rifle is determined in the following steps: (1) pick a Form recommended scope, (2) determine and buy the best bases and rings for that scope, and (3) only then choose the best rifle that goes with said scope, bases and rings.
To add to this- I'd like to see the scope evaluations expanded to mount evaluations

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

amassi

WKR
Well, maybe. The Leupold’s were wrong. The Talley’s are definitely odd? But…could have been several small things I think.

Next is a rail (blah) and high dollar rings. THEN it won’t make any sense.

Although, to your point, the twist with no fore/aft movement was always weird. To me.
I may have missed it bit did you ever try the 2 piece warne bases with the horizontal warne steel rings?

OP
Bluto

Bluto

WKR
I may have missed it bit did you ever try the 2 piece warne bases with the horizontal warne steel rings?

No, and I had them ready to purchase instead of the rail/ring combo but they are weeks out from available. Still a long term option for sure. At least it would get me away from the rail.

My understanding is the result would be nearly everything works when screwed together correctly.

Amen. But in the terms of the path to purchase discussion, one can run into some very unexpected challenges. Aside from this thread, just mounting height being a completely non-standardized measure could be an evaluation on its own. Everyone has a different measure of “medium.”

sndmn11

WKR
Amen. But in the terms of the path to purchase discussion, one can run into some very unexpected challenges. Aside from this thread, just mounting height being a completely non-standardized measure could be an evaluation on its own. Everyone has a different measure of “medium.”

The wisest thing is to pay attention to the numbers rather than descriptions, then stick with the difference relative to your comb height once you discover what fits your face and comfortable position.

OP
Bluto

Bluto

WKR
Makes sense. It’s just tougher when you don’t have a frame of reference. One manufacturer - can’t remember who, just referenced them to size objective that would (should?) clear. Maybe Seekins or Hawkins?

I don’t think there’s a fix, just things I’ve noted trying to find a way to mount a run of the mill 3-9x42 on a factory 308.

God help a long range guy with specialty optic gear and custom rifles.

To add to this- I'd like to see the scope evaluations expanded to mount evaluations

If the eval passes the mounting system passes. And once you proof a scope you can then evaluate your other mounting systems.

From what I can tell, the best mounting option on an action is integral pic rail, followed by an integral dovetail. Distant third is anything with multiple 8-40 screws and significant thread engagement.

For my own rifles, when I have to rely on 6-48 screws I'm also jb welding that base to the action. There's a lot of leverage when a gun gets dropped and the impact isn't simultaneous on the scope and rifle, imo 3 or 4 6-48 screws are grossly inadequate for those loads.

OP
Bluto

Bluto

WKR
From what I can tell, the best mounting option on an action is integral pic rail, followed by an integral dovetail. Distant third is anything with multiple 8-40 screws and significant thread engagement.

For my own rifles, when I have to rely on 6-48 screws I'm also jb welding that base to the action.
Who makes integral rails? Tikka? Just curious.

For job weld bedding, I’m assuming that means you don’t put a releasing agent on the action?

OP
Bluto

Bluto

WKR
are the two piece Talley steel bases available?
Unknown? If this rail and rings combo doesn’t get me through fall I’ll be using an already setup system and working on this later. (Assuming I can find 30-06 ammo. Haven’t looked in a while.)

Or I’ll go buy a Tikka lol