Ice/snow comparison between rifles

Deywalker

FNG
Find a Geissele two Stage Super 700 trigger.
How do you think it would've fared in this test? A close friend of mine recently got his fathers rem 700 and for both of our sakes I was thinking about gifting him a super 700 if I could find one, or a TT Primary.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
How do you think it would've fared in this test? A close friend of mine recently got his fathers rem 700 and for both of our sakes I was thinking about gifting him a super 700 if I could find one, or a TT Primary.

It would most likely have eliminated the “slam fires”, and does help a bit with ice/debris.

It would most likely have eliminated the “slam fires”, and does help a bit with ice/debris.
In a previous post you said there were no 700 triggers you considered safe. Was that statement inclusive of two stage triggers? If not, is it only the Geissele that you consider safe? Seems like Timney and a few other manufacturers make two stage 700 triggers.

Last edited:
OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
In a previous post you said there were no 700 triggers you considered safe. Was that statement inclusive of two stage triggers? If not, is it only the Geissele that you consider safe? Seems like Timney and a few other manufacturers make two stage 700 triggers.

It’s not what I consider “safe” or not. Most R700 triggers are not drop safe at all- as in a foot or two drop can make the fire. The US mil has a couple of drop safe requirements- one is a 5 foot drop in the butt, the only R700 that passes that is the Geissele Super 700.

Most/nearly all “two-stage” R700 triggers aren’t actually a true two stage trigger. They are a single stage with a long take up. The Super 700 is a two-stage trigger.

In any case, the R700 trigger system is compromised from any angle you view it at.

This has been a wealth of knowledge for me- and a major timesuck, ha! Every post gets me closer to putting the 700 on the chopping block. Thanks guys!

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
The 404 but also where would the 100 rank in the list you made in post 62?

The 404 is about like the Blaser- the ones I’ve seen have been good, but I have not seen the volume of them in crappy conditions that I would need to feel comfortable making a declarative statement. Having said that, I would have no reservations in using a 404 at all.

The 100 is good. It’s safe and reliable, with its one Achilles heel being the large opening for the safety allowing water to easily get inside the trigger area. In regular snow or rain no issues, in pouring water in then freezing- the safety gets locked up. Also, the fluting part of the bolt will get ice locked in it. Way better than any R700 type and better than Howa. Not as good as Tikka/Sako.

CaptArab

FNG
I would've loved to see an AT in the test. This seems like it's forte.

I've long lusted after a green AT with thumbhole skins, but it's hard to pony up 3 months mortgage when my Tac A1 / bravo rig does the same thing at 30% less weight.

Ucsdryder

WKR
It’s not what I consider “safe” or not. Most R700 triggers are not drop safe at all- as in a foot or two drop can make the fire. The US mil has a couple of drop safe requirements- one is a 5 foot drop in the butt, the only R700 that passes that is the Geissele Super 700.

Most/nearly all “two-stage” R700 triggers aren’t actually a true two stage trigger. They are a single stage with a long take up. The Super 700 is a two-stage trigger.

In any case, the R700 trigger system is compromised from any angle you view it at.
When you say drop is that with or without the safety engaged?

Ucsdryder

WKR
With. But it doesn’t matter with R700 triggers. The safety blocks the trigger, not the firing pin.
Well shit! I can’t drop my tikka because of my vortex and can’t drop my defiance anti because of the dang bix n andy trigger. 😝

So much for that nightforce scope I put on it! I might need another LHT! 😜