Ice/snow comparison between rifles

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I have been asked by multiple people to do an ice and snow reliability eval between rifles/actions/triggers. Tthis is not a “test”, it is just a view at what generally happens. Doing a legitimate test requires more rifles and consistent conditions than I have. So…

The rifles:

1). Tikka T3 in KRG Bravo chassis

2). Sauer 100 factory

3). Howa 1500 Alpine factory

4). Remington M7 with TT trigger and Bansner stock

5). Winchester Pre 64 M70 factory

6). Tikka T3 factory

7). Sako TRG 42 factory

C0B58561-02AF-40E5-8E99-FF6CDDEBB1E2.jpeg

This will be done in multiple steps, worst case working back back to easy to see any differences that show themselves. Every rifle is started in exactly the same condition- empty chamber, closed bolt, safety on, magazine loaded and/or inserted.

1: Total Failure

8oz of water poured directly into action, trigger, and magazine; then rifle is dropped in snow, covered for 10 min. After ten minutes
, rifles were pulled out of snow and set standing upright for ten minutes. Temperature was -11°F.

The first portion is designed for none of them to work- it is a total failure event.

8DDE325F-76DF-49D8-BF2C-0AB90296A895.jpeg

Unsurprisingly none of them worked.

1). T3/Bravo safety moved, was bolt would not move rearward past halfway back. Trigger frozen completely. Magazine could be removed after breaking ice.

2). Sauer 100 had a completely frozen trigger and safety did not unlock tigger or bolt. Magazine could be removed after breaking ice.

3). Howa everything locked up- safety, bolt, trigger. Floor plate was opened after breaking ice and prying.

4). M7 TT was able to scrape ice off and work bolt. Magazine did not feed. After breaking and scraping ice, and bashing release latch, got floor plate open and dumped rounds after breaking ice. Hammered bolt open and dropped one round into chamber. It fired. After that it continued to slam fire- rifle fired with no activation of trigger when was bolt closed. Could not do anything to fix.

5). Win M70 Pre 64- Safety worked, trigger moved, bolt handle rotated but bolt would not move rearward at all. Was able to scrape and hammer open the floor plate.

6). T3 factory- safety was locked on safe. Bolt would not move. Trigger was locked. Magazine could be removed after breaking ice.

7). Sako TRG42- everything locked up as safety could not be moved. Magazine could be removed after scraping ice.

Following this, all rifles were placed inside the cab of the truck and driven back for approximately 12 min before being brought inside a 65° building to thaw and being checked every 5 minutes with a primed case.

Rifles will be listed in order that they returned to fully functioning.

1). T3 factory worked correctly in all aspects with a sticky bolt as soon as pulled from the truck. 30 min total.

2). Winchester Pre 64 started cycling first, trigger still didn’t work until 1 hour and 5 minutes.

3). Sako TRG42, once safety could be moved, rifle worked fully. 1 hour 5 minutes.

4). Tikka T3/Bravo. 1 hour 5 minutes.

5). Sauer 100, once trigger and safety started working, rifle functioned correctly. 1 hour 25 minutes.

6). Howa 1500, once safety could be moved, rifle worked correctly. 1 hour 30 minutes.

7). Remington M7 with Trigger Tech trigger. Rifle fired in sub 5 minutes, trigger slam fired until 1 hour 53 minutes.

None of the rifles worked correctly out of the snow. The only one that fired was the Remington and it remained unsafe for nearly two hours. The first rifle to work correctly was the factory Tikka T3.

As no rifle was expected to work from this trial, nothing is surprising. The main takeaways are how fast the factory T3 came back, how long the Remington remained unsafe, and how long it took the Howa and Sauer’s safeties to work.

Next will be 4 ounces of water and no snow….

Con’t….

So a slight change due to some snow fall. Rifles were taken from the 60°F building to outside and placed in a table letting the snow fall for 4 hours.

8B833439-706A-4775-9A25-B34F52498CD9.jpeg

All rifles worked fine except the Remington and Sako TRG. The Remington slam fired for 10-12 racks, then started working correctly; the Sako had light strikes for 2 trigger pulls then worked fine.

All the rifles were reset up and 4 ounces of water were poured from the top onto the action and then the rifles were shaken and placed upright.

6FBBF339-60C5-4A27-A05D-116B2159E4A5.jpeg

1A0248C5-FF1F-4692-AD38-E3F12C4085A7.jpeg

5DFFFD34-A3C7-4221-9892-2FBD6AB788C2.jpeg

They will be checked in 1 hour.

Cont…

Last edited:
OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
After 1 hour and 4 ounces of water-

28A8C8D5-42A5-4F29-8FA1-515A123157C6.jpeg

E61D8297-420C-4068-916C-708B62A8C867.jpeg

5FBAF25B-BC0B-498E-A179-3B3C71D6A194.jpeg

BCBA403B-3250-451E-A3AF-5F8CC4B20805.jpeg

4E49E643-1DEB-4A0A-8F2E-2AC2727FBA5E.jpeg

E01711F5-80E3-4499-AB07-9CF3D50FB8DB.jpeg

AE3E59B3-B29F-499B-8FF7-E25B4F1FF1F1.jpeg

Rifles are listed in the order that they returned to fully functioning. Every rifle was treated as I would if hunting, I.E.- hammered open until I believed breakage was a real possibility, scraped with a knife, etc.

1). Pre64 M70- sub 5 minutes. Bolt had to be hammered open and ice scraped.

2). T3 factory- sub 5 minutes. Bolt had to be hammered open and ice scraped.

None of the other rifles worked immediately and were brought inside at 55° F.

3). Tikka KRG chassis- 53 minutes. Everything functioned immediately (safety, trigger) but bolt could not be hammered open without risk of breakage I felt.

4). Sauer 100- 53 minutes. Was able to get everything working immediately, except trigger.

5). Howa 1500- 53 minutes. Bolt got stuck halfway back and would not budge.

6). Remington M7- 53 minutes. Actually got everything scraped enough to open bolt, and since I have already gotten the handle welded I hammered it quite hard to get it all the way back. Was able to break the ice and scrape the ice out of the magazine, and chamber a round; however it still fired upon closing bolt until 53 minutes.

7). Sako TRG- broke handle. I hammered on this bolt pretty hard, and the handle were it screws into the bolt body fractured. This was an issue that happened to a small number of early rifles and caused Sako to change the attachment method.

E791BCCF-E975-4A14-A58F-870106CE43D8.jpeg

Again, this is a pretty horrible situation. Rifles working with this much ice are a crap shoot, but seeing some trends. The main takeaways from this is the factory Tikka and M70 were able to be put in functioning order in the field in 2-3 minutes. The Sauer 100 I am curious to see what is locking the trigger up, as that seems to be the only thing stopping it from working. The Howa is getting totally locked up with ice, and the Remington with Trigger Tech is still unsafe until completely thawed out. The bolt handle breaking on the Sako TRG while not unheard of in older ones, is not real common either- a new handle is on the way.

Con’t…

Last edited:

ZAK13

Lil-Rokslider
Gotta say, pretty interesting, even knowing the outcome ahead of time, still interesting.

This should be a fun test, though the slamfires are a bit scary.

also, its too bad there aren't more prs popular actions/ triggers being tested, I'd love to hear the arguments about those results.

It would be interesting if you could get a failure from taking the rifles inside and out with just the condensation freezing (maybe with a couple spray bottle blasts for good measure). I have to be careful with my kimbers, had my 8400 freeze up on an oct goat hunt and it took 30min of working the action (once I could get it to move) to get it functional.
Another situation I find while hunting in november is taking a warm rifle out while it’s snowing heavily. As the snow hits my action it melts and gradually as the rifle cools down it re-freezes in all the nooks and crannies. I have started packing the rifle in the box of the truck to get to ambient temperature before packing it around so the snow just brushes off.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
This should be a fun test, though the slamfires are a bit scary.

also, its too bad there aren't more prs popular actions/ triggers being tested, I'd love to hear the arguments about those results.

Well I don’t own any of the custom actions any longer, though I use them, as they all use R700 triggers and hence fail. The trigger is the Achilles heel of them all.

It would be interesting if you could get a failure from taking the rifles inside and out with just the condensation freezing (maybe with a couple spray bottle blasts for good measure).

That will be done.

jpmulk

WKR
A buddy and i both carried 7mag tikka t3x lites on a breaks elk hunt a few years back. Opening day was blowing snow in single digits. Rough conditions. We had a nice 6x6 bull jump up in front of us and we both aimed and fired at the same time. Both of our tikkas misfired. His misfired twice.

We learned tikkas have an issue in their bolts in that you really need to make sure you take the bolt apart and ensure it is completely degreased. I think tikkas use a lighter spring as well, which, combined with any residual packing grease can cause an issue in extremely cold temps.

Anyone else experience this?

Rich M

WKR
I had a rem 700 and hunted in a blizzars. Hammer froze, worked bolt up and down, gun fired the second try. Gun was gone and replaced by the next season.

Never had an issue w model 70. Seen same kind of conditions, wet cold rain snow then temp drop.

Lawnboi

WKR
A buddy and i both carried 7mag tikka t3x lites on a breaks elk hunt a few years back. Opening day was blowing snow in single digits. Rough conditions. We had a nice 6x6 bull jump up in front of us and we both aimed and fired at the same time. Both of our tikkas misfired. His misfired twice.

We learned tikkas have an issue in their bolts in that you really need to make sure you take the bolt apart and ensure it is completely degreased. I think tikkas use a lighter spring as well, which, combined with any residual packing grease can cause an issue in extremely cold temps.

Anyone else experience this?
Tikka bolt internals are supposed to be run dry.

Iv never had an issue with a misfire in the cold and I’m of the opinion that the tikka firing pin slaps pretty hard when compared to others.

To add to this thread. Watched both buddies actions freeze solid in Montana a few years ago. Rain followed by a freeze. Bolts wouldn’t budge. Warmed them up in the tipi and they worked just fine again.

Really showed me the importance of a rifle cover in real crappy conditions