Ice/snow comparison between rifles

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
While we’re at it…..Have you played around with the Blaser much in these conditions to see how they compare to a Tikka/Sako? Also what are your thoughts on the detachable trigger with the Blaser?

Talked on it earlier in the thread.

My personal observation overtime is sporterized military 98 Mauser‘s for the win.
That’s what most of my native friends in Greenland hunt seals with from their boats.

We get a considerable amount of freezing rain where I live in NEMO. Of the four rifles I’ve hunted with in freezing rain conditions, my results are:
Sportseized 98 Mauser no issues, killed 2 does and a buck one afternoon.
Ruger 77 fired but I had to pound on the bolt handle with pliers to get it open
Savage 219 single shot Could not get the safety off
Winchester 1894 Completely useless

Peter Paul Mauser perfected the bolt action rifle 125 years ago.

BjornF16

WKR
All 700 compatible triggers. There are no R700 compatible triggers that are truly drop safe. The best being the Geissele Two Stage trigger.

I would ask, why do you want a Remington, or a Remington derivative?
Form,

Was the R700 you tested an X Mark Pro trigger?...or something else? (Edit: I see it was a TriggerTech...so disregard this question).

Can you elaborate on why the R700 compatible triggers are an issue (i.e. bolt design) or point to an article outlining the issue?

How are the Tikka/Sako/M70 triggers different?

If you've covered this elsewhere, then can you provide a pointer?

Thanks,

I’ve had two rifles this season from people I hunted with that locked up during wet snow and ice. Around half the times that I use or hunt with someone using a certain rifle system, their are issues with snow and ice.

It seems to be that the larger opening in the trigger guard and the mag well is allowing more water in the bottom side of the action. The factory stock and mag is pretty well sealed up.

Phenomenally. A properly built one with a real two stage trigger is by far the least effected/most reliable rifle system in adverse weather. With the ejection port cover closed it’s very sealed, and any ice/debris that gets in the trigger opening, a good two-stage will break/move out of the way . I’ll pour water on one tomorrow to show, but it doesn’t matter.
Being that an ar platform can be the most reliable/least effected by weather platform, how do you feel about ar use for hunting/field rifle purposes? Say an ar-15 in 6mm arc or an ar-10 in 6.5 or 6 creed? Seems like I mostly see you posting results from bolt guns and not much about ars.

id_jon

WKR
Being that an ar platform can be the most reliable/least effected by weather platform, how do you feel about ar use for hunting/field rifle purposes? Say an ar-15 in 6mm arc or an ar-10 in 6.5 or 6 creed? Seems like I mostly see you posting results from bolt guns and not much about ars.
Post #13. I may be wrong, but I think this may have been 223 even.

Macintosh

WKR
@Formidilosus ,Dont worry, wasnt meant to be a thin-skinned comeback. Just that for most people I shoot with wind-blown snow like that is very definitely NOT normal conditions. Even though some of the highest wind speeds measured and consistently windiest places on earth are a quick drive from me, my region generally doesnt have a lot of wind to begin with at the elevations people hunt or shoot, and we also dont have a lot of opportunity to shoot in the types of places where we do get much wind. So if I mention that type of issue to people it’s generally dismissed as unrealistic, and on the day I mentioned very few people had experienced a shutdown like that. Normal for some, but I bet it’d be eye-opening for plenty who would not consider it ahead of time on a hunting trip or traveling to shoot a match. I think a lot of people look at this sort of thing, tell themselves that because they arent hunting on a frozen lake and they arent pouring water into their action, that it simply isnt relevant.

alpine_troop

Lil-Rokslider
Since the Geissele Super 700 trigger was mentioned several times in this thread, I started to look into it more and of course found that it’s not currently available. I contacted Geissele and they responded with the following info: they have temporarily suspended production and sale of the Super 700 while their design team tries to make it more economical and efficient for Geissele to produce this trigger on a regular basis. No timeline for re-release was given, nor did I ask that specifically.

fmyth

WKR
Or maybe after falling into a creek with your rifle in 0F weather.
Tried this. Don't recommend it. Went back to camp and spent my day drying out. Thankful it was only a 20 minute walk to my atv. Rifle was the least of my worries. Now carry some gear in a dry bag in my pack and more in the ATV just in case this happens again. Was surprised that my crappy Vortex Crossfire held zero after I fell on it and tried to drown it.

All 700 compatible triggers. There are no R700 compatible triggers that are truly drop safe. The best being the Geissele Two Stage trigger.

I would ask, why do you want a Remington, or a Remington derivative?
@Formidilosus I’ve got one that has sentimental value, what can I do to it other than sell to make it as safe as possible?

Haha. It’s a Tikka M595 Master Sporter stock. Fantastic in shootability. Wood is fantastic in all aspects but weather. I solved that by using JB Weld or bedding compound and permanently glueing the bottom metal in and filling the action area up. The whole inside is bedding compound.
If one were so inclined to build a rifle on a wood stock, what steps should be taken to make sure the rifle won’t shift zero due to bad weather?

Leaf Litter

Lil-Rokslider
If one were so inclined to build a rifle on a wood stock, what steps should be taken to make sure the rifle won’t shift zero due to bad weather?
I have never done this to a wooden gun stock, but I build muskie fishing lures and my method of sealing wood is to thin some epoxy with alcohol and apply it to wood that has been gently heated all the way through to ~150°F. The cooling of the wood will draw the epoxy into pores/grain and seal it up well. This goes for ALL unfinished surfaces of the wood.

Somebody who has more experience may be able to advise for or against this method in a rifle stock.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

The biggest thing that I’ve seen is to fully- and I mean FULLY- bed the action area and barrel shank, and generously free float the barrel. I would also bed (I permanently glued) the bottom metal. Basically take the entire action, trigger, and bottom metal area and cover it completely in beding so that all the wood is covered.

Functionally it turns the action area into a mini chassis and I have not seen any issue at all from the wood with heavy use in very nasty weather.

4th_point

WKR
Thanks for the thread, Formi!

This reminds me of stories of soldiers pissing on their rifles in the World Wars to unfreeze actions.

And Pattern 1913 Enfield rifles used by Sirius Patrol? And Canadian Rangers, until they adopted Tikkas? Do you know if that Enfield had an especially robust trigger mechanism, or did they go out of their way to mitigate issues?

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Thanks for the thread, Formi!

This reminds me of stories of soldiers pissing on their rifles in the World Wars to unfreeze actions.

And Pattern 1913 Enfield rifles used by Sirius Patrol? And Canadian Rangers, until they adopted Tikkas? Do you know if that Enfield had an especially robust trigger mechanism, or did they go out of their way to mitigate issues?

I have not used Enfields in any kind of reliability setting. My guess is they are pretty good in that regard. More rifles should be cock on close though….

4th_point

WKR
Thanks formi.

I wonder if the American market is just adverse to cock on close, even going back to the Enfield?

I thought that the Havak was partially cock on close but was later redesigned. I thought Seekins changed due to the market.

Makes no difference to me as long as it's reliable.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Thanks formi.

I wonder if the American market is just adverse to cock on close, even going back to the Enfield?

Yes they are. Because nearly everyone shoots at a bench, putting one round at a time in the gun (not in the magazine), slooowly closing the bolt, taking 3 minutes looking through scope to fire one round, then slooowly opening the bolt and catching the case so as to not scratch it, then starring at it for 30 seconds like it’s a Ouija board….

Sorry, tangent.

I thought that the Havak was partially cock on close but was later redesigned. I thought Seekins changed due to the market.
Makes no difference to me as long as it's reliable.

They did, ARC did too for a bit. The reason for cock in close, is that when rechambering quickly, the part that moves the gun the most is lifting the bolt/cocking. If you close the bolt quickly and surely, you don’t feel the cocking on a cock ok close.

But, that’s why we can’t have nice things.