Hill Style/ASL Longbows Anyone?

He's been getting enormous praise over the last 12 months!

I think I ordered my bow late October 2021 and I had it by late January 2022, in Australia. Much longer lead time now.

The last thing I need is more bows but man, those Yukons are super convenient and the idea of a G10 riser cut to centre on an ASL is very cool.

Bumping this thread as I came back to it for a read and found my last post funny.

I've got a Mushin Styk being built by Eric at St Patrick Lake Longbows and I'm getting it with the Yukon take down system. Bamboo limb cores, black glass, 66in long, tillered for 3 under, locator grip, and 55# @ 27in. Should be a fantastic hunting bow, and I reckon with it being cut to centre, 350 spines with 295gn up front will make for a great starting point. I may well take it out for some of our fallow rut (a couple of months away) If I can get one on the ground early with my compound, but I may also take out some rifles and shoot plenty of the ugly fellas.

Bumping this thread as I came back to it for a read and found my last post funny.

I've got a Mushin Styk being built by Eric at St Patrick Lake Longbows and I'm getting it with the Yukon take down system. Bamboo limb cores, black glass, 66in long, tillered for 3 under, locator grip, and 55# @ 27in. Should be a fantastic hunting bow, and I reckon with it being cut to centre, 350 spines with 295gn up front will make for a great starting point. I may well take it out for some of our fallow rut (a couple of months away) If I can get one on the ground early with my compound, but I may also take out some rifles and shoot plenty of the ugly fellas.
G10 and center cut could be a game changer. I'd like to try that at some point, seems like the ultimate hunting weapon, whisper quiet and a lot more forgiving with the weight. It'll probably piss off some of the Trad Police which is always funny too.

G10 and center cut could be a game changer. I'd like to try that at some point, seems like the ultimate hunting weapon, whisper quiet and a lot more forgiving with the weight. It'll probably piss off some of the Trad Police which is always funny too.

Yeh, sure to annoy the trad police but they get annoyed about everything so who cares? I made a video of me shooting my Pacific Styk a few months back and I posted it to the Howard Hill style Longbows fan page on instagram, and got shot down big time for shooting it in a static style as opposed to a swing draw like Hill and Schulz taught. I tried to make the argument that I have fun shooting like this but they wouldn't really take my point. apparently a Hill style bow will behave if you swing draw, but thump you if you shoot static. That makes no sense to me but it's what they said. Some of them even went as far as to suggest that the rise in popularity of SPL and Eric were responsible for bringing people to ASL's who shouldn't be shooting them! I argued that the more people with an ASL in their hand, the better.

In any case, I'm not worried if a G10 riser cut to centre isn't a 'true ASL'. It'll tune easier, be more forgiving, and therefore be easier to shoot and a better hunting weapon.

Here's the video anyway.

I have “rediscovered” mine lately, and man; what a blast. I just love to shoot it. When I’m on with that thing, I’m on fire!

They really are a lot of fun, but I've also been having a lot of fun with my new compound lately.

Yeh, sure to annoy the trad police but they get annoyed about everything so who cares? I made a video of me shooting my Pacific Styk a few months back and I posted it to the Howard Hill style Longbows fan page on instagram, and got shot down big time for shooting it in a static style as opposed to a swing draw like Hill and Schulz taught. I tried to make the argument that I have fun shooting like this but they wouldn't really take my point. apparently a Hill style bow will behave if you swing draw, but thump you if you shoot static. That makes no sense to me but it's what they said. Some of them even went as far as to suggest that the rise in popularity of SPL and Eric were responsible for bringing people to ASL's who shouldn't be shooting them! I argued that the more people with an ASL in their hand, the better.

In any case, I'm not worried if a G10 riser cut to centre isn't a 'true ASL'. It'll tune easier, be more forgiving, and therefore be easier to shoot and a better hunting weapon.

Here's the video anyway.

They really are a lot of fun, but I've also been having a lot of fun with my new compound lately.
I had a similar experience with a build video I did. I've never shot any of Eric's bows but he sounds knowledgeable and people like them, I don't understand the hate that I've seen him get. Seems kinda pointless.

Right on with the tuning. Similar appeal to me, I wanted a closer point on and a quieter bow without any string slap. Haven't done any serious hunting but so far I feel like it'll be easier to get a "good hold" in the woods with the smaller gap and closer point on. I still have some right/left issues occasionally, I suspect a little more mass weight from g10 like you're doing or a quiver would help my problem.

It'll be interesting to see how weight compares from your g10 riser, I always hear "it's heavy" but I don't know how much heavier.

Yeh, they definitely didn't like three-under either. Sucks for them that all I'm interested in is having fun, rather than emulating other people. Having said that I've only got two kills under my belt with an ASL so I can't say the way I do it works particularly well but once I get this Mushin I should get stuck into the critters properly big time.

TxxAgg

WKR
Ignore those guys telling you there’s only one way to shoot an ASL. I hear it all the time for shooting 3 under. I’m seriously considering ordering a Toelke Super D for myself for Christmas this year. Watch the ASL police s*** bricks over that one. 🤣
I asked Dan last night about another Super D. He said he could have me one in under 5 months.

You're right abkut the trad police on that bow. It's been years since I've had one though.

mgmicky

FNG
I don’t get why people put it in the R&D longbow camp. It’s literally an ASL with sharper backset.
Yeah N Idaho, I think I agree with you. I have several ASLs and a Super D, and they are all very similar. Maybe it’s the more round, locator style grip of the Super D that gets the trad police in a tizzy? I shoot and like them all and don’t really care what category they’re supposed to be in. This is supposed to fun

Beendare

WKR
To each his own…. I admire the guys that can shoot these well I think they are an added degree of difficulty over something like a recurve with some mass in the riser.

I tried one of these long bows, and I swear it’s the reason I had to have surgery on my elbow

PatrickW

FNG
To each his own…. I admire the guys that can shoot these well I think they are an added degree of difficulty over something like a recurve with some mass in the riser.
Funny thing is that used to think they were more difficult too, but once I got to shooting one I found that if my form was good my groups were tighter than with my heavy risered recurves.

Funny thing is that used to think they were more difficult too, but once I got to shooting one I found that if my form was good my groups were tighter than with my heavy risered recurves.
My groups are either super tight or have the spread of grandpa’s 100 year old shotgun at 50 yards with an ASL. There’s no in between.

PatrickW

FNG
My groups are either super tight or have the spread of grandpa’s 100 year old shotgun at 50 yards with an ASL. There’s no in between.
As I said, whenm
As I said, when my form is good my groups are really tight😉. But like you, if I’m off it’s embarrassing…

I got back from the gym yesterday and had a few shots from a high speed ASL I have here to borrow for a bit. It's made by Outlaw bows in Australia. I was concentrating on my form and tension so my shots felt strong but because I wasn't thinking too much about my aim my group was bigger than a beach ball at 20 metres.

Beendare

WKR

The lighter mass in the riser section requires a better bow arm....thats just simple physics. The longbows want to jump more....and no matter how many times I've heard LB guys claim, "No hand shock" they have more shock than a bow with more weight in the riser.

I would still be shooting a LB if that added shock didn't bother my elbow.

Like I said, I admire you guys that can shoot them well.

OP
GLB

GLB

WKR
I find with these bows is that if your alignment is off just a little it will throw your shot wide. whereas a recurve or more forgiving bow it would just be outside of the group a little.

The lighter mass in the riser section requires a better bow arm....thats just simple physics. The longbows want to jump more....and no matter how many times I've heard LB guys claim, "No hand shock" they have more shock than a bow with more weight in the riser.

I would still be shooting a LB if that added shock didn't bother my elbow.

Like I said, I admire you guys that can shoot them well.
They certainly have some amount of recoil. I find that if I properly grip the bow and use a really heavy arrow, most of it is mitigated. A heavy arrow makes a huge difference. I swear a wood arrow does too, but I don’t have any evidence to support that other than anecdotal experience. I swear it absorbs the shock or something.

You’re right about the bow arm. I shoot infinitely better if I push into the bow as I release, almost like I initiate the release with the bow arm.