Midwesterner just booked an elk hunt, arrow build tips?

rlsmith1

FNG
Just booked an elk hunt for fall of 2025 and couldn't be more excited. I've shot deer for a long time here in Iowa, but understand elk tend to have bigger bones (and best not to hit one) :). I'm down to my last 4 arrows, so I'm looking to build another dozen to kill deer with this year and elk next year.

I'd love to hear what you guys are running for arrow set ups on elk (and how far you are comfortable with that setup). Mine is below for deer, and what I'm considering changing.

Deer Setup
BT Insanity @30" draw / 80lbs
GT Pierce Platinum 250's cut to 28.5"
Factory 4 fletch with I believe 2 degree helical
Ethics Archery stainless insert / collar
100 gr broadhead (Rage, QAD Exodus, whatever)
540 gr total arrow weight going about 285 fps

Elk Setup
BT Insanity @30" draw / 80lbs
GT Pierce Platinum 250's cut to 28.5" maybe change to a .204 dia arrow like the Airstrike?
2.75" TAC Driver vane or 2.1" Iron Will / AAE Hybrid Hunter vane (3 fletch, 2.5 degree helical)
Iron Will stainless collar
Iron Will 175gr Snyder Core (basically a glue in broadhead / field point system)
520 gr total arrow weight going about 290 fps

Past 50 yds, I really like the trajectory I have with my 500 gr arrows at 295 fps so that is the thought behind decreasing weight a bit. However, I do want a forgiving arrow so if throwing some more weight up front to get to the 280 - 285 fps number will help I can do that. I can shoot out to 110 or so at my house, but really want to be boring consistent at 80 and in (which I've done before when I shot more).

I'm doing all I can to not buy a new bow, so I'm kinda treating myself to new arrows where cost isn't much of a factor (within reason), and from what I can gather broadhead design / integrity is what matters when bones are hit (hopefully I steer clear of them anyway).

Thanks in advance for your help!

Dang, that’s a heavy arrow for just deer. That same arrow will work just fine for elk but I would recommend dropping the weight of the arrow down and the amount you’re pulling with your bow. I used to shoot that weight but when you are hiking the mountains all day or have to run up to the top of a ridge that 80 lbs is going to be tough to pull.

MattB

WKR
I would just buy arrows rather than build them, but I am lazy like that. Other than making sure that your dynamic spine is in the correct range, I wouldn’t worry too much about it. l would spend your time getting in shape rather than meticulously picking the fly shit out of the pepper on the internet.

OP
R

rlsmith1

FNG
I would just buy arrows rather than build them, but I am lazy like that. Other than making sure that your dynamic spine is in the correct range, I wouldn’t worry too much about it. l would spend your time getting in shape rather than meticulously picking the fly shit out of the pepper on the internet.
I always try to stay in shape but the mountains are different than our hills! I figure I've got to do up another dozen and want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

I feel good about doing everything but the fletching, is there someone out there that fletches arrows for a reasonable price?

MattB

WKR
I always try to stay in shape but the mountains are different than our hills! I figure I've got to do up another dozen and want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

I feel good about doing everything but the fletching, is there someone out there that fletches arrows for a reasonable price?
I live at 150 feet over sea level, so I get that.

Not sure about places that do custom fletching, but frankly that might be the easiest part of the process so not to worry (squaring the shaft ends after cutting is IMO the most critical). Tons of YouTube tutorials on the process and a recent thread on here regarding jigs. If you do pursue custom fletching, make sure they are helical or at least offset (straight fletchings and broadheads do not mix well).

Good luck!

At 30"/80#, you can shoot pretty much any arrow and broadhead you want with no worries. Pick something, get your bow tuned to it, then practice, practice, practice.

Also, any bow shop can fletch your arrows if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself (it's not hard). Or just take the easier route and order pre-fletched arrows.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Your initial arrow set up is fine, I would go with a qad over a rage, but guys use those successfully too, yes elk are big, but take a good shot and you have nothing to worry about