Hill Style/ASL Longbows Anyone?

I got back from the gym yesterday and had a few shots from a high speed ASL I have here to borrow for a bit. It's made by Outlaw bows in Australia. I was concentrating on my form and tension so my shots felt strong but because I wasn't thinking too much about my aim my group was bigger than a beach ball at 20 metres.
I always have a hard time with accuracy after working out regardless of bow. I'd have to imagine if you blow out your cns that plays a part outside of just fatigue.

Yeh. I like to shoot after the gym as a bit of a warm down as all my muscles are used to being engaged at that time, but holding at full draw is really difficult because of how tired everything is as well. I use it as a bit of a warm down more than anything but after a few weeks of doing it my hold at full draw is much better.

Beendare

WKR
I was at a tourney shooting with a guy that really handles a longbow well. Ive met him a few times. His daughter was many times state champ with compound no sights and fingers.…and of course he taught her so he is a very good shooter.

He was one of the few guys that shot a longbow vertical- like the formal oly style. He said when he canted, he was weaker at FD and would lose left and right.

I prefer to cant my recurve for the better sight picture on game.

Some pictures of my new ASL in the spray booth. I should see it in a few weeks! Very fancy for an ASL.

Excited for ya! Man, I wish so bad that the takedowns were offered with anything but a G10 riser. If I am at some point able to start traveling to hunt again I will probably get one regardless, but I really wish it could work with a wood riser.

I'm excited about the idea of the takedown for sure, but I'm more excited about the weight of G10 and it being cut to centre. I had an issue with my compound recently and it may take a couple of weeks to get sorted. If that's the case, it's back to my Widow for the rut, and then maybe to this bow if it arrives in time and I have arrows that will suit it. The action is about to start up here and it's looking like it's going to be a game of less than 20 metres again. Haha.

sveltri

WKR
The Mushin is my first ASL so i cannot make a comparison to other ASL's. That being said it is extremely fun to shoot and very capable. Its also the best archery coach I've had, nothing like immediate feedback.

PatrickW

FNG
I'm excited about the idea of the takedown for sure, but I'm more excited about the weight of G10 and it being cut to centre. I had an issue with my compound recently and it may take a couple of weeks to get sorted. If that's the case, it's back to my Widow for the rut, and then maybe to this bow if it arrives in time and I have arrows that will suit it. The action is about to start up here and it's looking like it's going to be a game of less than 20 metres again. Haha.
Northern Mist and Howard Hill Arxhery both make takedown ASL’s with wood risers…

Yes but as I said, the G10 allows it to be cut to centre. And I believe Hill and NM don't use the bow bolt system?
See, cut to center really isn't of interest to me. Purely for aesthetic reasons I prefer the traditional shallow shelf, straight grip, etc. I understand it makes a more tuneable forgiving bow, but I can't do it :)

Yeh, this bow breaks a lot of ASL rules but I'm not that fussed. It's going to be a great hunting tool. I'm going to make myself another lighter ASL with a friend of mine for target work and maybe a few hunts as well, likely in the 45# @ 27in range.

Yeh, this bow breaks a lot of ASL rules but I'm not that fussed. It's going to be a great hunting tool. I'm going to make myself another lighter ASL with a friend of mine for target work and maybe a few hunts as well, likely in the 45# @ 27in range.
That's Colin I'm guessing? And don't get me wrong, as picky as I am about my own bows, I couldn't be happier for you with your outlaw ASL! Rule breaking is the spice of life.

Yeh, Colin has his high-speed Emu model and I'm going to make one with him. It'll have wood either from my home property or one I spend a lot of time hunting at and it'll be good for target stuff and hunting stuff.

Yeh, Colin has his high-speed Emu model and I'm going to make one with him. It'll have wood either from my home property or one I spend a lot of time hunting at and it'll be good for target stuff and hunting stuff.
Very cool. I've thought about having Erik build me some thing with local woods, probably means ERC veneers and then not sure what riser wood.

Tembo4.jpgIMG_7234.jpg

I own several, but my favorite is a beautiful Tembo with three lams of bamboo made by the late John Schulz while he was a bowyer for Howard Hill archery.