Gunwerks 6ix+, AB Raptor Eight Stack, CGS Hyperion K, Thunder Beast Dominus

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Interesting. Can you share more from that discussion? I saw this packaged with mine mentioning a minimum of 3” reflex for 338 magnums.
View attachment 600628
I can only tell you what they told me. I had just blown up someone else's can and called Austin at AB and asked him if their 10 Stack would take a 33XC with a 24” barrel, and he said yes, but not with a reflex. I have over one hundred rounds through it, and it's doing great.

Last edited:

ElPollo

WKR
Reflex increases turbulence and thus back pressure, makes sense that it would not be advisable on heavy cartridges.

-J
How would increasing internal volume also increase back pressure? I’m asking because I’m not an engineer, but the math doesn’t make sense to me.

NSI

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
How would increasing internal volume also increase back pressure? I’m asking because I’m not an engineer, but the math doesn’t make sense to me.
The location of the volume is behind the projectile's path - not just in the course of passage (like baffle spaces) but instantly. The bullet does not face resistance prior to passage. As such, the air in that volume prior to the bullet's passage is subject to vortices, air hammer, rapid change of state, and other substantial perturbations. I'm not a suppressor engineer, but in the field I work (energy) such perturbations at tube junctions are hard to model with CFD and can be violent.

-J

ElPollo

WKR
The location of the volume is behind the projectile's path - not just in the course of passage (like baffle spaces) but instantly. The bullet does not face resistance prior to passage. As such, the air in that volume prior to the bullet's passage is subject to vortices, air hammer, rapid change of state, and other substantial perturbations. I'm not a suppressor engineer, but in the field I work (energy) such perturbations at tube junctions are hard to model with CFD and can be violent.

-J
As a wildlife biologist, I deal with stuff that is hard to model. But if it blows up on you it’s only politics and you aren’t likely to lose an eye or a limb. That said, AB’s designs are built based on the same sort of gas flow modeling from turbos, which I would assume are similar to what you are using. It would seem odd if the the “ribbed for ear pleasure” part was designed to minimize back pressure just so you could add more of it with a reflex. In my personal experience with these cans, the reflex has a noticeable effect on muzzle blast and recoil. But hey, I’m out of my depth with the math part here. Physicists view people like me as science wanna-bes.

Reactions: NSI

ElPollo

WKR
That’s not mine. The company had stickers that say that. My buddy says he couldn’t own one because it looks like a sex toy strapped to the muzzle. I said he’s not man enough to own one. I’m one of those guys who is totally comfortable with stuff that works.

Bluefish

WKR

-J
Please don’t take this as arguing, but the reflex is volume ahead of the projectile until it passes the muzzle and enters the space between the muzzle and first baffle. only then is it behind the bullet. I would expect it acts much like a larger blast chamber. The one difference I can see is the entry to that chamber is small cross sectional area and this could cause some interesting flow.

NSI

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Please don’t take this as arguing, but the reflex is volume ahead of the projectile until it passes the muzzle and enters the space between the muzzle and first baffle. only then is it behind the bullet. I would expect it acts much like a larger blast chamber. The one difference I can see is the entry to that chamber is small cross sectional area and this could cause some interesting flow.
I don't take it as arguing at all. I haven't done the work here so I don't know how to characterize the fluid flow, this is simply conjecture.

When a lifting body passes through a fluid, it generates vortices at its trailing edge. What I suspect here is that the vortices have a more violent effect in the closed circuit of the reflex than they do in the interlinked baffle chambers of the main suppressor body.

-J

Bluefish

WKR
The reflex does add volume, but not that much as it’s a thin section going back over the barrel. It is interesting to note that in spl tests 2 baffles are roughly equal to 3” of reflex. Unfortunately the way the atf is interpreting things now you have to order a whole can to get a different reflex to try. Wish we could just buy different reflexes.

ElPollo

WKR
I don't take it as arguing at all. I haven't done the work here so I don't know how to characterize the fluid flow, this is simply conjecture.

When a lifting body passes through a fluid, it generates vortices at its trailing edge. What I suspect here is that the vortices have a more violent effect in the closed circuit of the reflex than they do in the interlinked baffle chambers of the main suppressor body.

-J
Jourdan,

I can see your math and physics, but the soft scientist in me questions why we would see the positive effect in noise and recoil reduction from the reflex if what you are suggesting is the case. It would be great if AB could weigh in and correct our collective armchair science.

Reactions: NSI

ElPollo

WKR
The reflex does add volume, but not that much as it’s a thin section going back over the barrel. It is interesting to note that in spl tests 2 baffles are roughly equal to 3” of reflex. Unfortunately the way the atf is interpreting things now you have to order a whole can to get a different reflex to try. Wish we could just buy different reflexes.
I think it would be cool to see a comparison of equal length reflexes for the standard barrel profile and bull barrel to test what you are suggesting. Equal length, similar weight, different volume.

NSI

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Jourdan,

I can see your math and physics, but the soft scientist in me questions why we would see the positive effect in noise and recoil reduction from the reflex if what you are suggesting is the case. It would be great if AB could weigh in and correct our collective armchair science.
Yeah I’d really love to hear from AB.

I suspect that turbulence is directly correlated with dwell time of gasses in the tube. Dwell time is related to gas cooling, and cooling/expanding gasses is how most suppressors work.

Anecdotes from some snooping on other forums indicates that back pressure on AR-15s from AB reflex cans is mild. Usually if you want gasses to hang out and cool without increasing back pressure you have to spin them as in a flow-thru design. Perhaps the turbulence provides an analogue to that kind of mechanical spinning.

-J

The scythe TI is a half oz lighter at 8 1/4 oz(with a brake) than the DD STI with its regular endcap, and 3/4" shorter, 1/8" thicker. Looks awesome. Really busy with work and getting ready to head to WY, might be able to sneak one more range session in before

Attachments

• 20230922_234659.jpg
    20230922_234659.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 104