FORMADILIOUS.........I'm calling you OUT!!

Form, I noticed than new production post bankruptcy Rem 700s have a 1/8 twist in .223. I'm looking at an SPS Stainless. In your experience, what issues might I find that would make me wish I'd bought a Tikka instead?

Part of me wants to give US manufacturing one last shot before jumping on the Tikka train. But if there's a clear functional advantage to the Tikka then I'd skip trying the Rem.

Thanks
Chris
Don’t know how much this will mean for you and your use case or situation, but I found it very eye opening in regards to the safety of 700 based triggers

rcook10

WKR
Form, I noticed than new production post bankruptcy Rem 700s have a 1/8 twist in .223. I'm looking at an SPS Stainless. In your experience, what issues might I find that would make me wish I'd bought a Tikka instead?

Part of me wants to give US manufacturing one last shot before jumping on the Tikka train. But if there's a clear functional advantage to the Tikka then I'd skip trying the Rem.

Thanks
Chris
I have handled a couple new Remington in the last few months. They feel like new Remingtons and will not meet a tikka for smoothness. I have seen two new ones shoot and they were quite accurate. Factory trigger is blah, especially compared to a tikka. I think one advantage for me is the lack of terrible box magazines and relatively easy magazine modifications to make COAL better without resorting to aftermarket bottom metal/mags ( i also prefer a blond or hinged floor plate mag system. Tikka aftermarket continues to grow so the previous advantage of ubiquitous Remington parts is less than it used to be but you can still get awesome deals on aftermarket parts. You also can't get prefits for a new Remington which adds expense. I'd say if you wanted to tinker than a 700 might be more interesting or unique than a tikka but the utility of a ss t3x lite is hard to argue with.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

Thanks
Chris

Remington triggers are inherently not drop safe, all have much more issues with ice/snow/sand/debris and trigger failures, R700 bolts bind when racking quickly and the action itself is more susceptible to the same ice/snow/sand/debris.

Tikka offers an excellent action that is very reliable in ice/snow/sand/debris; does not bind when racking, tigger is very good and very reliable, they are drop safe, and their barrels are very good to excellent.

It’s an easy choice.

Chris_in_Idaho

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you. I read your ice test linked by Mountainrancher above. Do you think the trigger issues might be alleviated now that r700s have Timney triggers from the factory, or are the issues inherent to the action/receiver design such as letting water in?

As for the bolt binding, my only 700 is an XCR2 and it runs slicker than greased glass, but I'm aware that probably has mostly to do with the nitriding and a plain stainless one will probably be easier to bind up.

I appreciate your time responding to the questions.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Thank you. I read your ice test linked by Mountainrancher above. Do you think the trigger issues might be alleviated now that r700s have Timney triggers from the factory, or are the issues inherent to the action/receiver design such as letting water in?

It is inherent with all R700 triggers- it’s the action that causes it. The Ice eval you read is a Trigger Tech in the Remington.

Chris_in_Idaho

Lil-Rokslider
Understood, thank you.

Since I've got you here, have you ever drop tested a DNZ Game Reaper 1 piece mount?

rcook10

WKR
Its also worth noting the new triggers on the base models are not your standard tomneys but a seperate model called the impact 700. Certainly better than the lawyer special from years past but not as good as a tikka for sure. The higher tiers carry the hunter/elite models which are much better.

BLJ

WKR
Well it depends on what is meant by drop safe, but not that anyone has found. The Geissele trigger has been the best.
I was referring to what you said in post #163.

I assumed you were referring to an accidental drop of some sort? Maybe I’m not understanding what you’re saying.

Also looks like the Geiselle are no longer available? Thanks.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I was referring to what you said in post #163.

I assumed you were referring to an accidental drop of some sort? Maybe I’m not understanding what you’re saying.

I was just trying to clarify that there is a difference of dropping 1ft onto soft ground, and 5 feet onto concrete or other hard surface. The latter is what no R700 trigger can do, except potentially the Geissele.

I do not trust any R700 trigger to be safe with a drop loaded.

For now.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Which says something about Geiselle's opinion of R700 triggers. I doubt it is because they did not sell.

BLJ

WKR
I was just trying to clarify that there is a difference of dropping 1ft onto soft ground, and 5 feet onto concrete or other hard surface. The latter is what no R700 trigger can do, except potentially the Geissele.

I do not trust any R700 trigger to be safe with a drop loaded.

For now.
Thanks for the response.

ETA. I would assume that all R700 pattern triggers have the same issues? Specifically the Bergaras? Thanks.

Last edited:

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Thanks for the response.

ETA. I would assume that all R700 pattern triggers have the same issues? Specifically the Bergaras? Thanks.

Correct. Any action that uses a R700 type trigger- all customs, Bergara, etc.

Reactions: BLJ

Bama67

FNG
Maybe I'm doing the math wrong but a threaded Tikka is $1200-$1300, plus $500-700 for the Rokstock
Whereas a Seekins PH2 is $1500 when its on sale.
And the Seekins is made right down the road in Idaho.

Spoonbill

WKR
Maybe I'm doing the math wrong but a threaded Tikka is $1200-$1300, plus $500-700 for the Rokstock
Whereas a Seekins PH2 is $1500 when its on sale.
And the Seekins is made right down the road in Idaho.
You can find a t3 light for less so it would be under a 1000 threaded. 750 for a t3 light+ 100-150 for threading. Not sure what an adapter would cost if you needed it for a 5/8 thread pitch.
It would come out to being about the same as a seekins.