FORMADILIOUS.........I'm calling you OUT!!

Smenning

Lil-Rokslider
If you mean a blued barrel, no I wouldn’t necessarily wait for SS unless required.
Correct, I found a standard blued barrel t3x .223 locally. The SS model seems very difficult to come by. Sounds like I won’t be disappointed with blued.

Smenning

Lil-Rokslider
I passed on two stainless steel models at my local Scheels a week ago. When I realized a couple of days later how hard the Tikka .223's are to find, I called back. They had already sold them. My wife was awesome and called 6 different gun shops around my state. Finally one of the shops was able to locate 1 Tikka Stainless .223 from one of their distributors. Now I just have a 3.5 hour drive to go and get it. So if you have access to one I wouldn't pass it up.
I saw one online a few weeks back that was sold when I refreshed the screen!! There is a blued barrel available locally I think I gonna pick up before someone else does.

ShootOkHuntWorse

Lil-Rokslider
I finally said eff it and picked up a blued one as well. If I really care I’ll get it cerakoted for weather protection. North Idaho is a bit moist. Kinda curious how or if I should oil the barrel at all. I’m theory if I shoot often enough it won’t corrode inside but it seems like it’s only once a month or so lately.

Te Hopo

Lil-Rokslider
My blued CZ like to rust at the slightest sign of moisture so I oil it heavily after use.

Then when I am getting ready to go out, I wipe it all down and pull a patch through the bore

It's also a great time to make sure I have the bolt and magazine as I wipe them down as well.

Smenning

Lil-Rokslider
I finally said eff it and picked up a blued one as well. If I really care I’ll get it cerakoted for weather protection. North Idaho is a bit moist. Kinda curious how or if I should oil the barrel at all. I’m theory if I shoot often enough it won’t corrode inside but it seems like it’s only once a month or so lately.
I have an original T3 Blued 300WSM that Ive never done more than wipe with some hoppe’s and it hasn’t rusted over the last 17 years. That being said I haven’t run a bore scope through it.

Hnthrdr

WKR
I don’t want to hijack but I would love to hear forms suggestions for a rifle/chambering for those of us in a state that does not allow 22 caliber for big game hunting
.243/6mm cm/ 6.5cm with a brake, preferably a can, is about as good as we can get in ole Co

leomort

FNG
How would swfa ss fixed 10x be as a replacement for their 6x? Their 6x is still out of stock whereas they have their fixed 10x models available, one with the rear focus and one with side focus, Not sure if the side focus better than the rear focus?

houser52

FNG
I’m no SWFA expert but I ordered and received the 6x42 MQ earlier this year. While I really liked the scope the reticle seemed really fine and hard for me to see.

I later ordered the 10x42 MQ and for whatever reason the reticle, to my eye, is heavier and a lot easier to see. While it’s much finer than a dedicated hunting type reticle I had no problem seeing it when I recently killed a buck during the last minutes of hunting light.

I ended up trading the 6x for another 10x and haven’t regretted it at all. I now have 2- 10x42 MQ mounted on hunting rifles.

leomort

FNG
@houser52,

Thank you for your feedback! That was most helpful! Does yours have the rear focus? They're about $100 cheaper than the side focus so I'm leaning toward the rear focus.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
How would swfa ss fixed 10x be as a replacement for their 6x? Their 6x is still out of stock whereas they have their fixed 10x models available, one with the rear focus and one with side focus, Not sure if the side focus better than the rear focus?

It works fine. I and those I hunt with have killed hundreds of game animals with fixed 10x scopes in the eastern woods and thickets. It’s not my preference for it, but doesn’t cause any real issues either.

Practice mounting and snapping the rifle on targets at close range and you will be fine. Rear focus over side focus.

leomort

FNG
It works fine. I and those I hunt with have killed hundreds of game animals with fixed 10x scopes in the eastern woods and thickets. It’s not my preference for it, but doesn’t cause any real issues I’m either.

Practice mounting and snapping the rifle on targets at close range and you will be fine. Rear focus over side focus.
Formidilosus,

Thank you for you feedback!

houser52

FNG
Leo- mine is rear focus and hasn’t caused me any problems. I have another brand of scope with side focus and to me there‘s not a lot of difference, just the position of the focus knob/ring.

fwafwow

WKR
You guys are drug dealers. I don't need a 10x, or any other new scope. But it's on sale, with a goodie thrown in, so I guess I do.

I also didn't need a bunch of other stuff that seemed to get put in my carts this holiday weekend. But so far I've only managed to refrain from buying a knob for my Tikka bolt, notwithstanding @Marbles tempting me to do so.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
You guys are drug dealers. I don't need a 10x, or any other new scope. But it's on sale, with a goodie thrown in, so I guess I do.

I also didn't need a bunch of other stuff that seemed to get put in my carts this holiday weekend. But so far I've only managed to refrain from buying a knob for my Tikka bolt, notwithstanding @Marbles tempting me to do so.
I've spent too much, but I did not buy another Tikka, nor did I by a PVA Osprey barrel for a Tikka, nor did I buy the Aziak tripod, nor new trekking Argali or BD carbon trekking poles.

There, that list makes me feel like I have self control, now to just ignore the multiple packages that will be arriving and pretend the stork brought the stuff.

fwafwow

WKR
I sold 4 guns this weekend to soften the blow.

Now to experience the shame of my incipient package cavalcade...

-J
Sorry to the OP for the diversion ...

If we are making ourselves feel better, I also didn't buy all of the Fjallraven pants that I "needed" - some were ordered before Black Friday from Varuste at what I thought were great prices, and the "savings" from more trousers at better prices at REI were mitigated by a technical glitch. And I don't have a separate Apple Notes file with the pending deliveries.... As for the package cavalcade, I have some of my items being delivered to an office location. You know, to guard against package theft from the rough and tumble area in which I and Mrs. fwafwow live....

leomort

FNG
I've spent too much, but I did not buy another Tikka, nor did I by a PVA Osprey barrel for a Tikka, nor did I buy the Aziak tripod, nor new trekking Argali or BD carbon trekking poles.

There, that list makes me feel like I have self control, now to just ignore the multiple packages that will be arriving and pretend the stork brought the stuff.
Marbles,

What PVA Osprey barrel did you not buy for your Tikka?

Chris_in_Idaho

Lil-Rokslider
But, what it comes down to is that no matter how hard people try to find one, there is not a single rifle/scope/bullet on the market that does what the T3x 223/SWFA 6x/77gr TMK does. I’ve shot them all- heavily.

Form, I noticed than new production post bankruptcy Rem 700s have a 1/8 twist in .223. I'm looking at an SPS Stainless. In your experience, what issues might I find that would make me wish I'd bought a Tikka instead?

Part of me wants to give US manufacturing one last shot before jumping on the Tikka train. But if there's a clear functional advantage to the Tikka then I'd skip trying the Rem.

Thanks
Chris

NSI

WKR
Form, I noticed than new production post bankruptcy Rem 700s have a 1/8 twist in .223. I'm looking at an SPS Stainless. In your experience, what issues might I find that would make me wish I'd bought a Tikka instead?

Part of me wants to give US manufacturing one last shot before jumping on the Tikka train. But if there's a clear functional advantage to the Tikka then I'd skip trying the Rem.

Thanks
Chris
trigger and integral rail,
-J