Fleeing Californians and Property Values

when the realtors call, have you ever told them you would sell for around $505K?

I have not, even with the extra bump i think we’d be in the same boat as everyone else buying. Having to offer over asking price and make quick decisions. We really want to go from our half acre to 3-5 acre property and avoid going south down the valley. It’s a very tall ask at the moment. Those properties exist in the 800k-1.2Mil + range and we just can’t afford to get there right now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

woods89

WKR
Its already started. Banks have shut down funding for a lot of projects before they even get to 30% . They only major construction that seems to moving forward are ones that are funded by taxpayers and heavily influenced by union lobbying. 10x over budget and 5x longer to build.
I think you are probably right. Times like this are when I like being in the remodeling market. Many if not most of my customers are not borrowing money.

def90

WKR
I’d suggest some of you guys complaining about the money moving into your town figure out how to get some of it in your pockets...
This.. leverage the newly aquired equity in your home to buy a cheap rental property in your area. Let someone else pay for a home that you will one day own as well as enjoy any added increase in value over time.

It sucks. It's screwing up my life plans for 6 years from now.

Unfortunately I don't think I'll ever convince my wife to moveaway from the mountains back to Illinois to my family farm.

Hopefully the Midwest doesn't end up getting F'd as well.

Azone

WKR
So when does the next civil war begin?
Getting priced out is happening in a lot of places. Whether it’s some Tesla driving latte sipper willing to commute 2 hours a day or the house that’s being occupied by 2 to 4 families (parking nightmares anyone?) willing to split the tab this shit is happening in a lot of places. People investing their money the way they want to, life sucks sometimes.

MattB

WKR
So when does the next civil war begin?
Getting priced out is happening in a lot of places. Whether it’s some Tesla driving latte sipper willing to commute 2 hours a day or the house that’s being occupied by 2 to 4 families (parking nightmares anyone?) willing to split the tab this shit is happening in a lot of places. People investing their money the way they want to, life sucks sometimes.
It's just American capitalism at work - if you have angst take it out on your republican friends and shoot Bernie a Benjamin.

Unfortunately the way the US is currently structured the rich get richer and those who are not rich fall farther behind. I am a capitalist through and through, but they way capitalism is playing out in America is not sustainable. When S&P 500 CEO's are getting paid 8 figures (e.g. $20,000,000) and teachers, police, and firemen can't make a middle class wage, we have a problem.

Marble

WKR
I won't be leaving CA because of money, but because of politics and wanting to be closer to the outdoor activities I want.

Where I live I am surrounded by mountains. Great Great fishing. Shitty hunting and it is hot in the summer.

Politics here are just plain idiotic. They pass laws that shouldn't be passed, and don't pass the laws that should.

I could afford to live wherever I want to when i retire and it will be cheaper to live wherever I end up going. But that is not my main motivation.

Quality of life.

Activities I dream of.

Politics

Money

Sorry the people in CA jack the prices up.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

MattB

WKR
Quick follow on, we met a couple of Aussies summer before last in a beer garden. These guys had spent weeks travelling the US and had hit some very off the wall parts of the US. When I asked them about the biggest difference between the US and Australia, they said it was that in Australia there were many jobs that were middle class (teachers, electricians, plumbers) that are not in the US.

That was more than a year ago, and it still sinking in for me - the US needs to make a change.

Didnt read all the input here, but real estate prices are a leading indicator. Coffee shops and a few others Will follow. It is a national version of a classic urban gentrification model. Someone a while back mentioned to figure out a way to get in for t of it and make some money. That is a smart idea. Real estate speculation. Upscale retail. Basic services like contracting, landscaping and handyman stuff all do well when money comes to town.

the long term challenge will come when that money starts to tilt your politics. Look at Austin. Colorado is another example. I hear it is happening in Bozeman. A few well-healed left leaning politically active new neighbors can really change the political dynamic when they put their mind to it. Not a bad thing, per se but there is ample evidence that politics can shift away from supporting things like hunting and firearms that are near and dear to Roksliders.

Azone

WKR
It's just American capitalism at work - if you have angst take it out on your republican friends and shoot Bernie a Benjamin.

Unfortunately the way the US is currently structured the rich get richer and those who are not rich fall farther behind. I am a capitalist through and through, but they way capitalism is playing out in America is not sustainable. When S&P 500 CEO's are getting paid 8 figures (e.g. $20,000,000) and teachers, police, and firemen can't make a middle class wage, we have a problem.
No angst. Not a Bernie supporter by any means.
Quick follow on, we met a couple of Aussies summer before last in a beer garden. These guys had spent weeks travelling the US and had hit some very off the wall parts of the US. When I asked them about the biggest difference between the US and Australia, they said it was that in Australia there were many jobs that were middle class (teachers, electricians, plumbers) that are not in the US.

That was more than a year ago, and it still sinking in for me - the US needs to make a change.
The endless supply of cheap labor coming from the south of us makes it hard for those positions you mentioned to exist. Before I get flamed for that comment, it’s not meant in a negative way, it’s just fact.

Baddog

WKR
No angst. Not a Bernie supporter by any means.

The endless supply of cheap labor coming from the south of us makes it hard for those positions you mentioned to exist. Before I get flamed for that comment, it’s not meant in a negative way, it’s just fact.
This. A lack of a real immigration plan is keeping wages down. Imagine if you backed out 10-30 million illegals. Wages would increase and housing costs would decrease. The first question that needs answered is how many immigrants do we want in a year? Then figure out how you get there...

Same crap happening here. My wife and I struggled to buy our first house, a top dollar fixer upper. We are on the upper end of the wage scale for the area. It’s all people from southern wi and CHICAGO.

It’s just a kick in the balls to working class families right now

Fixed it ;)

This. A lack of a real immigration plan is keeping wages down. Imagine if you backed out 10-30 million illegals. Wages would increase and housing costs would decrease. The first question that needs answered is how many immigrants do we want in a year? Then figure out how you get there...

For what I see it's not so much immigrants taking jobs, just that they are the only ones that want to work. Plenty of places around here are looking for semi-skilled labor, they simply can't find people willing to do it.

IdahoElk

WKR
For what I see it's not so much immigrants taking jobs, just that they are the only ones that want to work. Plenty of places around here are looking for semi-skilled labor, they simply can't find people willing to do it.

Capitalism ended with too big to fail and the Feds endless QE since 2008.
The current real estate boom would not be happening if it weren’t for the Feds current monetary program, Covid would have finished off our economy months ago.
The rich are getting richer because they are accessing the free money being pumped into the system via the detached from reality stock market we’re currently witnessing.

Gobbler36

WKR
This. A lack of a real immigration plan is keeping wages down. Imagine if you backed out 10-30 million illegals. Wages would increase and housing costs would decrease. The first question that needs answered is how many immigrants do we want in a year? Then figure out how you get there..
Zero

IdahoElk

WKR
In my area the city council is proud to proclaim how we’re a sanctuary city and as a result illegals have flooded the area and are willing to work for greedy employers at about 1/3 the going rate of average service wages for the area.
There are only so many service jobs in a given area and with the cost of living so high most tax paying, legal Americans are force to find work elsewhere. It’s not that they’re not willing to work, they just can’t pay their bills on wages from 20yrs ago.
I realize your area probably is different, this is what I’ve seen being in construction for 30yrs here.

woods89

WKR
Same here. We have very little immigrant labor and the problem still exists.

I don't think it will change until more parents quit pushing college and thinking their kids need to be knowledge workers. Its amazing to me how the same people who complain about kids not wanting to work then want to leapfrog their kids past that process........

In my area the city council is proud to proclaim how we’re a sanctuary city and as a result illegals have flooded the area and are willing to work for greedy employers at about 1/3 the going rate of average service wages for the area.
There are only so many service jobs in a given area and with the cost of living so high most tax paying, legal Americans are force to find work elsewhere. It’s not that they’re not willing to work, they just can’t pay their bills on wages from 20yrs ago.
I realize your area probably is different, this is what I’ve seen being in construction for 30yrs here.

I know there's areas where migrant or illegal labor is taking jobs. Lots of times that is only filling a void tho. Agriculture especially has been dependent on migrant labor.

Another problem is technology, I'd say tech has put more people out of jobs than anything. CNC machine shops, they have a handful of employees running forktrucks handling material and hundreds of CNC machines going with a few handful of programmers. Sure other fields have similar scenarios.