Do you do the ritual?????

Mmcan

WKR
When you kill something, do you have any kind of ritual where you "always eat the heart", or " always say a prayer", "scotch", or "whatever it is that you ALWAYS do", please share with us?

I love grilling up some of the backstrap, ALL OF IT if the hunt camp has hungry people. It's a prized possession that all of us in camp have earned through a common goal of making a kill.

What do you ALWAYS do, if at all possible?

Last edited:
Thank the animal for its sacrifice with whatever words come to me at the time. That's about it.

OP
M

Mmcan

WKR
Thank the animal for its sacrifice with whatever words come to me at the time. That's about it.

Greatness.

I find that I am generally unable to speak immediately after a kill (or maybe I just now know better than to speak, especially with all the fricking cameras around!)

But then the stories start at the campfire,......
Should probably aspire to say less at that point as well.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I am a spontaneous guy that lives with my heart on my sleeve. Sometimes I freak out after an animal is down and sometimes I am speechless. Every moment in the hunt is unpredictable

charvey9

WKR
Have never had a ritual at the kill site, but always try to fry up some backstrap at the first opportunity.

Shrek

WKR
I always cut it up, then pack it out. Everything else is subject to change.

This is me. Might remember to take a few photos but that's about it. I don't mythologize animals at all. I have thoughts about how good it's going to taste and thankful for the good management and land stewardship that allows for the opportunity to harvest the animal. Anthropomorphizing the animal by thanking it for its sacrifice isn't for me and gives me the creeps honestly.

Pretty much the same as Backpack Hunter and Shrek. Since most of my kills are 3 - 7 miles from the road, my most standard ritual is to cuss myself for having just killed and animal that is now going to get it's revenge on me after it's death.

Finch

WKR
I'm not an overly religious guy but I do say a quick "thank you" to God once I get to the animal and get my hands on it.

I always take quality photos of my kill and then the work begins. I do try to eat the tenderloins the same day. Nothing real fancy here.

Trial153

WKR
I just go about with what needs to be done, tracking racking, packing ....honestly I savor the moment a lot more after the work is done. Even home back east my most enjoyable moments of reflection are after the game is hanging on pole

goldenarrow

Lil-Rokslider
Back at camp we make a simple toast of "to the buck" with crown royal. My brother hates the taste of crown royal but faithfuly takes his medicine.

Usually say a prayer in my mind thanking god and the animal for the opportunity to take an animal. When i was growing up my dad would have some blackberry brandy in the truck all all the guys would take a nip. I did this for a while but stopped drinking so it had to go. But what a memory!!!

Depends on how many are with me and how long the pack out will be. If we have a few guys and an average pack out, we will down the "kill Bottle." If I have tough pack out, I get to work and no kill bottle.

OP
M

Mmcan

WKR
Depends on how many are with me and how long the pack out will be. If we have a few guys and an average pack out, we will down the "kill Bottle." If I have tough pack out, I get to work and no kill bottle.

"Kill Bottle"?

Please tell us more about this.