What do you do to save on spending $$

tony

WKR
Eating out and buying coffee.
I bought a medium coffee at McDonalds and it was damn near $2.00, that adds up quick.

I work with all women :eek: I'm literally the only dude in the medical unit.

These dumb asses bring food and then order out everyday. Best part is when they get pissed as I dump their food that's sat in the fridge for a week or 2. Like they pack the thing full and whine when I toss their Chinese take out containers they reuse like its some fancy Rubbermaid.

And now they are all taking the Ozempic shots. :ROFLMAO: Dumbasses, you can't take a shot to loose weight and still continue to eat fast food. Maybe take the money and buy real food and join a gym.

2531usmc

WKR
Part of the equation is spending less but the other part is holding on to what you are saving.

when the kids were young, and money was very tight, we always put a little out of each paycheck into the s&p 500. Even if it was only $25 we still put it aside. Over the years, and the miracle of compounded interest, it built into a considerable nest egg or emergency fund.

so it’s good to cut Spending, but life requires you to do more than just that

Tod osier

WKR
Just ordered all the parts to rebuild the front end in my 2012 Nissan Titan at 150k, it got me thinking. Outside of your profession, what are some of the projects you've taken on to save money by not paying someone else to do?

I do almost all of the work on our vehicles, oil changes, sensors, replace suspension parts, front end, brakes, exhaust. 2012 Nissan Titan, 2014 Chevy Traverse.
Around the house I do plumbing, construction windows and doors, siding, electrical, flooring.
I've even gotten to be a decent cook helping make meals since my wife works some nights and weekends. Not going out to eat saves a lot of $$.

Buy bourbon by the handle - saves a bunch of $$$$.

Other than that, we do pretty much everything ourselves. Paid someone to put in a new boiler, and regret not doing it myself. Don't' do much car wrenching, do brakes, that is a sweet spot for money per time.

Vehicle and home maintenance. Done a lot on vehicles in the past but getting pickier or maybe less time. Done 3 bathrooms, floors in one house, a lot of painting, and electrical in about the be 3 houses. I try to buy on deals and use companies discounts where applicable especially vehicles as we have a fleet of trucks and pickups(get good deals with big volumes)

dtrkyman

WKR
I don’t drink smoke or use drugs, from what I see from many others saves me plenty!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nomad14

FNG
With the price of Gas in Canada I have started to spend less on gear and more on gas because id rather spend time outside then look cool doing it less, budget can only stretch so far.

My biggest money saver was/is to never move out of home. Job has been 2 miles from home and no girlfriend/wife so no reason to leave yet. Definetly not the most popular option but I enjoy being around my parents and I don't mind the stigma.

SWOHTR

WKR
Haircuts are probably the single biggest thing. For the price of a clipper I can do one or two haircuts, so within a month the clipper has paid for itself. Plus, I do a 1 or 1/2 all over.

Following that...
-Oil changes.
-Tire rotations.
-Brakes (haven't had to do yet...)
-Clean/wash MY car (we pay to have the wife's done once per month - it's a great value and with two kids and two dogs, plus it being our adventure machine, it makes it worth it).
-We do a lot of our own cooking. Most restaurants anymore provide disappointing food at ridiculous prices.
-Exercise at home. I've had a home gym set for 11+ years and it's paid for itself over and over again.

-Lots of home maintenance tasks, but I'm also not afraid to contract some of them out based on my time and availability (and skillset in some cases). Big thing here is plumbing, I hate plumbing. So messy.

AKBC

Lil-Rokslider
My biggest money saver was/is to never move out of home. Job has been 2 miles from home and no girlfriend/wife so no reason to leave yet. Definetly not the most popular option but I enjoy being around my parents and I don't mind the stigma.
I dont think it is good for you as an adult man to live with his folks. I suggest that you are missing out on the valuable experience of having to make your own way in life.

Just my opinion and I usually stay out of other people's stuff. I have my own stuff also; I am trying to get my 23 year old son out.

S.Clancy

WKR
I do basic vehicle maintenance and drive older paid off vehicles. And will drive them till they die.

We did all the work remodeling our upstairs, that alone prob saved us 20K at least. I'll do our downstairs at some point and the siding/windows when that is needed, plus basically all house maintenance that isn't replacing a furnace or something.

I try to limit eating out but the dang GF really likes to. We are cheap with groceries, like 200$ a month for both of us.

Otherwise, I just really don't buy stuff, other than gas to drive all over creation .

dtrkyman

WKR
How do you eat for 200$ a month?

We cook at home and rarely got out anymore, but 200 I think I would starve!

Lytro

WKR
How do you eat for 200$ a month?

We cook at home and rarely got out anymore, but 200 I think I would starve!
It's doable if you don't need to buy a lot of protein and you don't eat a lot of processed foods. The only things I commonly buy at the store are eggs, rice, potatoes, ezekiel bread, produce, seasonings, oils/tallow, and butter. I don't like eating in the mornings, so I typically eat 2 large meals per day consisting of elk, venison, walleye, or trout with a carb and a veg. I don't snack between meals other than a piece of fruit sometime in the afternoon every day.

Smaller grocery bill, but obviously hunting and fishing costs money as well. I'd be doing that either way though.

Jimmy

Lil-Rokslider
Only so many things can be cut out until life just isn't as sweet. I'm sorry but I like good coffee, the wife likes a glass of wine occasionally, and sometimes we like to go out to eat after church.

I usually go the route of making a few more dollars in creative ways. Selling extra fruit and vegetable's from the garden in the summer nets about $1000. Real Estate referrals can net another few grand. Stuff like that.

cnelk

WKR
Think I was maybe 20 or so. Making stupid money, had the entire lower level of the house to myself. Zero bills. Life is easy!! Folks hit me with something around $200/month rent. I was out in a week :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I was 17 years old when my parents moved 1000 miles away. They asked me if I wanted to move with them and I said I only have a year of HS left so I’m staying.

So I stayed on the farm, had my cattle and horses, and finished HS living by myself.

Best decision I ever made