What do you do to save on spending $$

Billdoe

FNG
Let's see.....only have the heat set at 60 in the winter, do most of my own vehicle stuff, clothes from the clearance rack, do most of my own stuff around the house, process all my own deer, cook at home most of the time, camp over hotels, get groceries after work to save a trip to town, ask for tools for presents, wash clothes in cold water and barely drink booze.

Billdoe

FNG
Forgot to add euro mounts done myself over taxidermy. Taken 3 Nalgenes to work for water for the last 16 years. Same Nalgenes I have had for 20+ years. Wear shoes till I about walk out of them.

I take care of my tools and equipment. I keep all vehicles at least 10 + years. My truck tool box is 24 years old and in great shape. I still have electric tools and mechanic ratchets and sockets from the late 70's. My main bow (and newest bow) is 12 years old. I sharpen all my broadheads. I do all home repairs and maintenance. All remodeling. All yardwork. I do all vehicle routine maintenance. We primarily cook at home and we save all the left overs and take them for lunch as well. We really do not drink alcohol and we rarely buy any soft drinks. We have cut back on the quantity of food as well as we are getting older and we just do not need a ton of food. I seldom have second helpings. Supplement meat with wild game. We will purchase store name brands rather than the top of the line products most the time. Keep the Thermostat at reasonable temps. Put a timer on the electric water heater so its not running throughout the day to try to keep the hot water temp up. Haircuts were ridiculous. I bought a "Flowbee" to do my own haircuts and it works awesome. I cut my hair every two weeks now. I bought mine for like $119,00. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000PPBSTC?tag=bravesoftwa04-20&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1&language=en_US

Starting to look at "Estate Sales". Really almost no reason to buy anything "new", except quality foot wear.

Yoder

WKR
My Grandfather told me his father always said "If you want to save money, you save it by what you put in your mouth". If you think about it, eating is one of our biggest expenses. There's also the financial cost of eating garbage. Medications, disease, type 2 diabetes, doctor's appointments, hospitalization. Most of those things can be corrected by diet and exercise.

jpmulk

WKR
Dont have debt
Cut my own hair
Don’t pay for any subscriptions other than onx
Have a home gym
Did my own flooring, siding, painting, countertops, decks, etc.
buy the cheapest phone I can

Not much of a car guy so I could get better at fixing those.

SDHNTR

WKR
Not that all these tips to save a few bucks are bad ones, but they are missing the big picture…

Have a plan! Know how much you need to save annually to meet your financial goals. Save FIRST, then spend. This isn’t hard.

I buy my gear used, everything except bullets. It does help to have an outdoor consignment shop in town. I don’t eat out much, my truck is paid for and I do 90% of my own work on it. I workout at home, cut my own hair and don’t have any subscriptions to anything. I still use a map and compass most of the time. I try to repair or modify what I have vs getting something new.

Agree with much of this - especially making a plan that you can stick to. One thing that's surprised me is that spending a little more in one area can save you a lot in another. We buy higher quality groceries, and as a result spend much less in going out to eat since we're happy to eat at home.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
Here are a few:

Burn free wood for heat
Do all my own electrical work and plumbing
P outside
Grow a large garden and freeze or can it all
Kill numerous critters every year and freeze/can
Drive a 22 year old truck and 18 year old car
Get gas discounts from the local Fred Meyer grocery stores for cheaper gas
Don't eat out very often

I could go on.

Block SW and Cabelas websites lol. Too bad I can't block myself from walking into my little towns outdoors store. It summons me.

Plainsman79

Lil-Rokslider
We cut cable tv a few years back, my wife bought an antenna off of Amazon for $20 and it gives us about a dozen local channels. Then we’ll stream a few sports stations seasonally. That alone saves over $200/month.

I typically do most of the home repairs and vehicle repairs that are within skill set. Know your limits though.

My wife grew up dirt poor and it taught her how to manage everything she had. She’s incredibly financially savvy.

COJoe

Lil-Rokslider
Most my hunting gear and primary hunting rifle are used. Both vehicles are over ten years old and I do what most others have said with vehicle and home maintenance. I think my biggest savings though is preparing my lunch for work so I know what I'm eating every day. If I don't have leftovers I gladly eat a pouch of tuna and crackers. I eat lots of fruit and nuts for lunch also so I believe eating healthy lunches saves me doctor visits and medications and much money there although I had back surgery last year so there went that budget. I could care less to eat out and get a lousy overpriced meal but sometimes we have to. I hate paying for tv but my wife is home so she likes having something to watch. I don't waste money but I don't mind spending money on something that's quality or needful. We bought our current house five years ago for a great price so we have great equity but home prices here are too high to cash in on it. Would love to down size to have cheaper bills though. We did get solar when we moved in when the rebates were better, so with the loan amount and monthly charge, it's a pretty reasonable fixed bill which helps.

Seems obvious, but we buy as much (lightly) used as possible. Everything from hunting gear to kids clothes to tools. You have to sift through a lot and look often, but you can find great deals on facebook marketplace.