What do You Sing on the Hike Out?

bpietila

FNG
On the trap line snowmachine. Last year was I hold on by Dierks Bentley. Another favorite is trying to remember every line from don’t take the girl Tim McGraw.

magtech

Lil-Rokslider
I always keep this song on standby when times get tough.

On a plus note, never been eaten by a bear while singing it.

World if I grow old
I be shocked myself
'Cuz only Lord knows
All the pain I was dealt
I should kill myself
And get it all over with
But then I stop and think
That's the life that I live

World if I grow old
I be shocked myself
'Cuz only Lord knows
All the pain I was dealt
I should kill myself
And get it all over with
But then I stop and pray
Lord watch over me

Depends if I'm packing something, "I've been working on the railroad." has come up a few times. "Hi ho!" from the 7 dwarves lol. Typically it's some simple tune from childhood that just sets in involuntarily, lots of times "Jesus loves the little children." just sticks and no idea why. My wife heard me humming it a few times and laughs at me.
This sounds eeerily familiar to what I sing.

RMM

WKR
I usually go straight David Goggins on them. That way, if a bear hears me, he knows he's going to need some help.

"They don't know me son"
"Who's going to carry the boats"

Oh, you don’t like hiking four miles out to baby shark?
I had a hunt a few weeks ago, decided to move to a new spot and we had a 6 hour drive without cell service or radio signal. I put my phone on “play downloaded songs.” Unfortunately the only album I had downloaded was that baby shark album, so I forced my childless buddy to listen to it on repeat.

171farm

Lil-Rokslider
Alright, willing to bet I'm not the only one that does this. Sun just set and you have a solo hike back to camp/truck. What are you doing? I typically walk without my light on, so try to at least make a little noise to ensure I don't silently walk up on something.

Started with my Dad after we accidently walked into the middle of a group of wild boar in an Alabama swamp one night. From then on he'd start singing the theme to The Beverly Hillbillies on the hike back :ROFLMAO:

Well I keep on the tradition, couple steps on my way back to camp and it starts:

"Come and listen to my story about a man named Jed; A poor mountaineer, barely kept his family fed; And then one day he was shootin at some food; And up through the ground come a bubblin crude...."

So I already led off with an embarrassing one. What do others do? Or do you just walk silently and hope momma grizzly is merciful?
If you are singing out loud and not just in your head, why not have a flashlight on as well. You could still walk up on something but at least you see it and might be able to react.

CorbLand

WKR
I had a hunt a few weeks ago, decided to move to a new spot and we had a 6 hour drive without cell service or radio signal. I put my phone on “play downloaded songs.” Unfortunately the only album I had downloaded was that baby shark album, so I forced my childless buddy to listen to it on repeat.
Exactly how many times did you contemplate driving into a tree at full speed and at what hour did it increase dramatically?

The Guide

WKR
If you are singing out loud and not just in your head, why not have a flashlight on as well.
For me, I can see in the dark better without a flashlight. I'll use one if I'm in complicated terrain on the lowest power but for trail hiking I can just hammer out the miles in the dark without any light other than the moon. If I'm hiking after dark with people using flashlight I'll make them go way ahead of me or use a red light sonic doesn't kill my night eyes.

Jay

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
For me, I can see in the dark better without a flashlight. I'll use one if I'm in complicated terrain on the lowest power but for trail hiking I can just hammer out the miles in the dark without any light other than the moon. If I'm hiking after dark with people using flashlight I'll make them go way ahead of me or use a red light sonic doesn't kill my night eyes.

Jay
I bet you have blue eyes?