What do You Sing on the Hike Out?

OP
Fowl Play

Fowl Play

WKR
If you are singing out loud and not just in your head, why not have a flashlight on as well. You could still walk up on something but at least you see it and might be able to react.
I have my headlight on my head and only need to tap it once to turn it on if needed. But I see better at night without it on. I did not realize this was not the norm. Lighter hazel eyes for reference. Only turn it on if bushwhacking it. But if I turn my light on, I can only see what’s illuminated and shadows will play tricks on you. When it’s off, I have my full peripheral vision normally longer than the beam extends (depending on the moon).

For all the others, I am so glad I started this thread. If for nothing else to know that some people are singing baby shark and other children’s songs out there. I’d probably question my sanity, if I stopped for a break and from the darkness, I hear a sound riding on the wind. M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E. That might send shivers down my spine…

Last edited:

Bachto

WKR
I'm not kidding and not afraid to I say I will sing "Just keep swimming" from Finding Nemo lol

Me and my brother on pack outs will yell at each other random pop culture references. it's usually a mix of the following:
"WHOS GOING TO CARRY THE F***** BOATS?"
"What would Cam Hanes do?"
"STAY HARD"

The farther the pack out the more obscure the pop culture references get

ColeyG

WKR
I often get the song "beast of burden" stuck in my head while hiking around with big packs on, but especially when coming out heavier than we went in.

I'll never be your beast of burden
My back is broad but it's a-hurting
I've walked for miles, my feet are hurting
Am I hard enough?
Am I rough enough?
Am I rich enough?

Mickey Mouse is so versatile, you can make it fit just about anything. My mind will morph it to all sorts of things over the miles.

Who is the big black dog, that likes to pee on things.
R O C K E Y DO GG I E!

Scrappy

WKR
After bumping into a grizzly way too close this week I think my song sounded something like “Rahhhhhhh, waaaahhhhhh, heyyyyy beeaaaaarrrrr” all the way out of the timber. Not too catchy.
I sang that song last week when something was sniffing my tent.

I usually go straight David Goggins on them. That way, if a bear hears me, he knows he's going to need some help.

"They don't know me son"
"Who's going to carry the boats"

I’m glad I’m not the only one who does this. I wonder how many squirrels have heard me say this when the sweats really pouring off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Windigo

Lil-Rokslider
Another one.

Show me the way to go
I'm tired and I wanna go to bed
I had a little drink about an hour ago
And it's gone straight to my head
Do you sing this one before or after you and your buddies compare scars?

I whistle. Bridge over the river Kwai. proven to keep the upper lip stiff. Or anything from Dire Straits.

I stay away from baby shark. In about 30 seconds, it goes like this in my head.
baby shark, I’m going to kill myself
Baby shark, I’m going to kill myself
Baby shark, gonna kill myself real soon…

NB7

WKR
Last year we had an easy pack out, didn't sing.
But we sure as hell played "East Bound and Down" by Jerry Reed a few times as we pounded the coffees and drove non-stop back home!

I also sing John Denver songs in my head quite a bit. Never occurred to me that people with lighter colored eyes might see better in the dark. I usually don’t like to turn my headlamp on in the evening or early night because I see better without it. Once it’s on then it has to stay on. If I turn it off then everything just seems pitch black. Yes, I have blue eyes and all my kids do as well.

Lol each year it’s something different and it isn’t necessarily a new song.

Last year - Sir Mix A Lot, Baby Got Back

This year - Highway Tune, Greta Van Fleet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk