When do you own the area?

Not a camping issue but I had a issue once pulled into a pull out. Pretty wide spot jumped out dropped off into a canyon. Came back and 2 trucks front in back pulled in so close I couldn't get out. I was ticked. So I started my truck and laid on the horn for half an hour and finally some Ahole shows up moved his truck. I was like come on man you have 25 yards To park in he just shugged his shoulders. I am sure they were trying to send a message it was their spot.
That's when you need the ole '78 Suburban with a home fabbed bumper and 2' stinger extension!:ROFLMAO:

Hnthrdr

WKR
If I encounter someone else there first when walking into an area I agree. “Where are you going, I’ll go elsewhere.” Does that extended to someone parked on a forest service road too? If someone parks at the end of the road do they own the whole area for the whole 28 day season? What if it’s 5am and they’re still sleeping when you roll up? What if they don’t even hunt that day or skip a morning/evening?
Exactly, also there are some spots with really limited road access so one trail head or road is all you get for 5-10 miles in either direction. I can almost guarantee that the average guy camped at a trailhead and me will not be anywhere near each other when hunting light hits… but if they are heading out and we see each other I will always try to ask which way they are going and head the other direction or leave if it’s not viable, lots of guys don’t want to have any words at the trailhead which I sort of get, but man we are all in the same boat, might as well have common curtesy

Alaskan89

Lil-Rokslider
What do you guys do when someone builds a plywood shack, then puts up 3 tents to lock up an area so no one else can hunt there? Curios as to how you all would handle this situation. This is on state land.

About 10 years ago my brother and I had an elk camp set up fairly high and decided to move lower due to some weather forecasted to come in. We had been hunting a trail that was at the end of an old road and on the way out one evening some fellas had set up a nice camp. It looked like they had stopped at Cabelas on the way in and literally bought everything they needed. Cots, sleeping bags, the wall tent. They were still pulling stuff out of the original boxes . I tried to chat with them and they weren’t real friendly. I asked them if they had seen the weather report, they just kinda sneered at us, so we left outta there.There were 4 guys and 4 boys. When we left my brother asked if I had seen a chainsaw and I didn’t. The weather stayed pretty calm for a couple of days and then started snowing one night. We decided to hit that trail again one morning because it was below the fog line. When we go to their camp, they obviously had left everything up there for the next weekend. Their tent was caved in with snow,Heavy, wet snow. We hunted that morning and came back out and stood their tent back up and cut a ton of wood for them. We never stopped back by there after we left. I hope they enjoyed their next trip up there.
You are a good man

You are a good man
Honestly, if it wouldn't have been for youngsters that were with them, I probably would have just went on my way. I remember being a young boy in camp with my dad and his friends, setting up camp, splitting wood and hanging out in the wall tent. I bet those boys will have similar memories.

Brando

FNG
I’ve had a run in at a gated road where my dad and I were in my truck waiting about 15 min before heading up the road. A truck pulls in behind us so I get out and ask which road they were heading up, we would head the other direction. The main road lead to 4 other skid roads, One of the guys just kept walking past us and said all of them. His buddy kind of paused and looked at me a little apologetic, shrugged his shoulders and followed up the road. We got back in my truck and went to another spot.

I hunt in a closed road management system and a lot of the roads have gates on them about 100-300 yds from the main road. I’ve been tempted several times to set up camp with my trailer on one of these gated roads for lack of any regular camp spot being unoccupied but haven’t because I don’t want others to think that I have claimed the woods behind camp as my own.

If you’re considerate and respect my stuff, walk past my camp all you want. Come back through with a full pack and I’m in camp, I’m going to offer you a beer and if needed and wanted, going to help haul out a quarter.

Zeke6951

Lil-Rokslider
Several years ago, my son and I were headed to a gated trailhead on a pretty rough road. There was a pickup on our tail for quite a ways. I pulled over and let them by. Three guys were standing around the pickup when we got to the gate. They were getting their stuff together for a muzzle loader hunt. We were bowhunting. Not wanting to mess up their hunt I asked where they would be hunting. They were rude and noncommittal. I said repeatedly I don't want to mess up your hunt but we are hunting here too. They left in a huff and we went on our way. About daylight we heard a bull bugling about every couple of minutes. As we got closer it became apparent the bull was across a valley in an almost inaccessible place from our position. We played with him for a while, he answered every cow call and bugle but it wasn't going to happen so went headed back to the truck about mid morning. As we started back we saw an orange vest about 200 yards away. A couple of evening later we went back to the same trailhead, no other truck was there. When we came out after dark we bumped into another member of the same party from before. He was much nicer. I told him about trying to do the right thing and the results. I said we heard a bull Saturday morning and we would be back here every morning until either we killed him or he quit bugling. I said I may just bring my spike tent over here and camp until then. On the way out my son said dad are you really going to do that. I said of course not, but I am going to cost them an hour of sleep every morning. We went by there one morning that week and their truck was there but they were long gone. We never went back until the day after muzzy season. My son killed the bull. Sorry for the long post but I like to tell that story.

jcmupar

FNG
What do you guys do when someone builds a plywood shack, then puts up 3 tents to lock up an area so no one else can hunt there? Curios as to how you all would handle this situation. This is on state land.
I would fire up the chainsaw (plywood makes for good firewood, right?!)

Weldor

WKR
I may have posted this before, but here it goes. I know people and of others who garage sale camping gear. Tent,tables lanterns etc you get the idea. They go up to their hunting area and set up false camps all around there hunting area. Some even go as far as to turn lanterns after dark. It works for them because honest sportsman just move on. I don't agree with it but theres not much you can do about it.

I may have posted this before, but here it goes. I know people and of others who garage sale camping gear. Tent,tables lanterns etc you get the idea. They go up to their hunting area and set up false camps all around there hunting area. Some even go as far as to turn lanterns after dark. It works for them because honest sportsman just move on. I don't agree with it but theres not much you can do about it.
Lots of folks do that around here just for holding camping spots. That's one of my major pet peeves.

I don't own the land - you do. But I paid the rent.

Attachments

• 6CF05843-A182-4E50-90FE-1461B1DEFA6A.jpeg
    6CF05843-A182-4E50-90FE-1461B1DEFA6A.jpeg
    575.9 KB · Views: 92
  • 604A7E16-D819-47BF-963F-B9B40C7D26C1.jpeg
    604A7E16-D819-47BF-963F-B9B40C7D26C1.jpeg
    640.6 KB · Views: 93
When the lodgepoles started falling they covered miles head deep. You cut out the trails and the elk find and use them within the week

If you’re considerate and respect my stuff, walk past my camp all you want. Come back through with a full pack and I’m in camp, I’m going to offer you a beer and if needed and wanted, going to help haul out a quarter.
I wish more people had this mindset...

I(also in Washington) have experienced people who were very territorial over an entire area. Not just a road, but like 15 miles of road along a ridge. Look, I get the fact that the woods are full, and I'm here "in the spot I hunt, and my kids hunt, and my dad hunts, and my granddad etcetcetc" but I'm not looking to hunt right underneath you because who the hell wants that?

We could work together. If I seen something I'd gladly let a friendly neighbor know on my way out. "Oh hey I seen a buck the other day over off x" or whatever. They chose to be dicks though, and with that I'm not telling anyone nothing.

In short, try following the golden rule and not be dicks... it might get you further.

2-Stix

WKR
My dad always told us to never walk through someones camp, but he sure got close on the river and had words many times lol. I like isolation so I always go and find that.

You never own it. It’s public land for a reason.

But I hate when people block roads or trails and pretend like all the acres behind them now belong to just them.

ez_willie

Lil-Rokslider
Anytime we see someone trying to claim a trailhead/spot with inconvenient tent/truck placement like they own the spot our group of 4-6 is sending one person everyday to that drainage, especially if you “haven’t seen any elk”. Packed elk right past wall tents 2 out of last 3 years, thanks for doing my scouting folks!

ID_Matt

WKR
I have seen the empty wal-mart tents placed to reserve spots. One thing that drives me nuts is when you run in to someone out in the field or happen to come to the trailhead at the same time and the person/group refuses to talk or communicate about plans. I am like most others and don't plan on hunting on top of someone. If a guy is at a trailhead first and plans to go to X canyon, I let him have it and I make an alternate plan around his. Love the guys that see you parked at the trailhead getting ready so they throw packs on and sprint down the trail without a word to get ahead of you.