Diesel Shortage - Anyone Worried?

Jimbee

WKR
hmm, well I know I wasn't around to verify this claim and I can 100% say no one on this forum was so I'll have to take your word for it. so, when this was said, what was it in reference to? ICE compared to what?
then my next question is, if the same can be said about ICE and you also argue that the ICE is bad then you in fact are arguing that electric will turn out bad like ICE. so what are you saying?
look, like 5miles said, you can have whatever you want but dont force your ideals on anyone else. neither electric nor fuel are good, as they both have profound negative effects on the world so at that point we should all be allowed to choose what WE want.
Almost like he's saying technology and innovation didn't abruptly end with coal and gas in it's current use.....?

tdhanses

WKR
I have looked and priced them a few times...which system are looking at? I refuse to put power back into the grid, the local power company pays less for Kw hr you put into the system than they charge you for KWhr you use...I am not into making the utility company money.

Self contained system seems like a lot of maintenance and up keep...and the tax credits are not as appealing.

Plus I don't think any panel would hold up to our late winter/early spring hail storms..

The tech is getting better but I don't think it's there yet either.
I like what Lion Energy has for residential and that it’s expandable.

Folks need to re-adjust their tin foil hats or at least add some after-market rabbit ears.

The US is supposedly slated to run out of diesel around November 17 (based upon 25 day notice from article on Oct 23).

At least two railroad unions have said "no" to their new contracts. So railroad strikes will potentially begin around November 19. This freight would have gone to the truckers but they won't have fuel...

There is a ongoing shortage of beer and it is likely to get worse.

This can mean on thing: this is 100% an attack on the "blue collar" biological male by the political party that is in power. This is retribution for their supporting Canada's Freedom Convoy earlier this year.

Adjusts tinfoil hat and the regularly scheduled program is now back on...

Edit: The "retribution" portion was sarcasm. But nothing happens overnight and there is enough information out there at all levels of government to know well in advance of pending shortages and/or outages. If and when an outage/shortage happens, it is because someone in power wants it to happen.

Last edited:
If I can't get diesel for my truck, I will hunt out of my wife's Subaru and then vote for every Republican on the ballot. I might move a couple times and vote in a few different states for Republicans there too. I am also going to fill out a couple undated absentee ballots for my wife to hold and mail in...in the event that I drop over dead because I'm hunting out of a Subaru....just to ensure I get one last vote in for Republicans.
You should be voting that way anyway!

Strosfann

FNG
I’m in the industry and the news is disturbing. It has as much to do
with market manipulation as it does actual supply but the depletion of our strategic reserves is especially concerning.

Traveler

WKR
It's says bleeding edge tech may achieve 50% efficiency in the coming years...

I guess you're just trolling?
I’m seeing who actually reads the article. And enjoy sarcasm as much as the next.

The reason I posted that article specifically is that it describes the way the engine became more efficient was not traditional. Instead it used the engine to charge a battery which was used to drive an electric motor that drive the transmission. And it describes why that is more efficient than driving transmission directly.

I found it interesting and applicable to the convo.

BTW buy an EV or don’t. We aren’t in a rush to buy one because we drive vehicles till the bitter end. Best way get full value from them IMO. But we could easily get by with one of each. No way I’m traveling out of state with one but for 71% of living they would be more advantageous.

Reactions: 307

tdhanses

WKR
I’m seeing who actually reads the article. And enjoy sarcasm as much as the next.

The reason I posted that article specifically is that it describes the way the engine became more efficient was not traditional. Instead it used the engine to charge a battery which was used to drive an electric motor that drive the transmission. And it describes why that is more efficient than driving transmission directly.

I found it interesting and applicable to the convo.

BTW buy an EV or don’t. We aren’t in a rush to buy one because we drive vehicles till the bitter end. Best way get full value from them IMO. But we could easily get by with one of each. No way I’m traveling out of state with one but for 71% of living they would be more advantageous.
Similar to a locomotive.

4rcgoat

WKR
some of this argument is funny. pro EV guys have no idea how very inefficient electricity is. were lucky if we are able to use 50% of the electricity captured. there are losses through every part involved. electricity is bled off of every wire and battery just sitting, what effect do you think that will have if in fact the world went electric. this surely isn't about the environment because its equally as bad to mine for and produce the needed elements for batteries. maybe some believe radiation is good, its already been proven to cause death. if everyone is really worried about the world, and you're concerned with local commuting then go ride a bicycle. if you have no problem walking 10 miles to hunt an elk then riding a bike 2 miles to work should be easy.
I'm not saying an EV is the worst idea, just that its not realistic for the near future and that it will only bring new unforeseen problems. swapping one problem for another still leaves you with problems. there has been numerous accounts of people developing actual clean safe ways to power vehicles, and every one of those people seems to have gone missing. Ford developed a zero emissions car that was suppose to go into production, what happened? it didn't fit the narrative.
I would love to be able to ride my mountain bike to work everyday.