Diesel Shortage - Anyone Worried?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Hunt your own meat, or grow your own garden: "good job independent man".

Heat your house with wood you cut: "good job independent man".

Provide your own energy with solar/wind: "communist hippie scum of the new world order..."

SMH...
There's a big difference between individuals doing that, and the government mandating that we can't do that, and have to do what they want us to do.

S.Clancy

WKR
I am looking at lowering the utility reliance of the house we just bought as much as I can. That may mean a combo of geothermal/solar and an outlay of $$$. When EV's increase my own self reliance I will move toward them. Right now, they don't.

Provide your own energy with solar/wind: "communist hippie scum of the new world order..."
Im all for providing your own energy with wind, water, not so much solar. have you gone off the grid?

Everyone that I personally know who claims electric vehicles, windmills, solar is bad for the environment doesn't give a shit about the environment. The type that burns tires, drives lifted trucks to the grocery store. Opposition is politically driven. "Windmills kill birds!" (Then shoots Redwing Blackbird while target shooting.)
unfortunately that goes for both sides. I think its not the EV's, windmills or solar itself that are bad, its the fact that you still need equally hazardous materials to make them work, again swapping one problem for another.
we all want a better tomorrow, but everything that is going on with fuels and electricity really has nothing to do with that. oh, as far as windmills killing birds, they should watch where they're going

tdhanses

WKR
I am looking at lowering the utility reliance of the house we just bought as much as I can. That may mean a combo of geothermal/solar and an outlay of $$$. When EV's increase my own self reliance I will move toward them. Right now, they don't.
I’m actually interested in a home solar system, it’s a cheaper investment then an EV car a d has been proven to work. My concern would be in the summer when it’s 100* but if you build a new home and build it extremely efficient this may be very viable.

And that's fine........they can have their EV's. The rest of us need the petroleum vehicles we already have. There are some in this country that absolutely hate Americans having any independence at all......even the independence to drive wherever we want, when we want. The last place those people should be is.........IN POWER.

I can easily drive 1000 miles a day, and can make almost 700 miles on a tankful. But the fuel up is less than 5 minutes to get back on the road. With EV's it's almost a day in some cases. Not even remotely feasible at this point. And that's my point......at this point it's not feasible to have 100% EV's on the road........or anything close to that. We're decades away from that......if ever. This push has nothing to do with climate change or the climate.
I'm not advocating for all electric soon.

But your argument neglects to mention that use cases like your's or mine are the minority. There's no option out there that would come even close to replacing my truck.

But... For the majority of people, there is no reason an electric car wouldn't work for their use.

Charging and affordability may not be there, but for getting to work, the grocery store, and restaurants and general urban life... They work just fine.

the question is not whether one is more efficient than the other. the question is whether it will actually be better, and as of today and the past few hundred years, electricity still doesn't have it.

S.Clancy

WKR
I’m actually interested in a home solar system, it’s a cheaper investment then an EV car a d has been proven to work. My concern would be in the summer when it’s 100* but if you build a new home and build it extremely efficient this may be very viable.
What concerns you about the heat, the drop in efficiency? I think the newer high-quality panels are much better in efficiency as temps climb, like you can retain up to 75% effciency even in ambient temps of 100 F. The older and lower quality panels can see large, over 50%, reduction in efficiency. Due diligence in the selection process can help mitigate those risks.

tdhanses

WKR
What concerns you about the heat, the drop in efficiency? I think the newer high-quality panels are much better in efficiency as temps climb, like you can retain up to 75% effciency even in ambient temps of 100 F. The older and lower quality panels can see large, over 50%, reduction in efficiency. Due diligence in the selection process can help mitigate those risks.
Running the AC takes a lot of power.

S.Clancy

WKR
Running the AC takes a lot of power.
I guess it depends on the space you need to cool compared to panel size or available space for panel. And whether you live in a place like TX or the SE where you have to run it 24/7. In MT, we aren't running it all day, only a small portion.

hmm, well I know I wasn't around to verify this claim and I can 100% say no one on this forum was so I'll have to take your word for it. so, when this was said, what was it in reference to? ICE compared to what?
then my next question is, if the same can be said about ICE and you also argue that the ICE is bad then you in fact are arguing that electric will turn out bad like ICE. so what are you saying?
look, like 5miles said, you can have whatever you want but dont force your ideals on anyone else. neither electric nor fuel are good, as they both have profound negative effects on the world so at that point we should all be allowed to choose what WE want.

I have looked and priced them a few times...which system are looking at? I refuse to put power back into the grid, the local power company pays less for Kw hr you put into the system than they charge you for KWhr you use...I am not into making the utility company money.

Self contained system seems like a lot of maintenance and up keep...and the tax credits are not as appealing.

Plus I don't think any panel would hold up to our late winter/early spring hail storms..

The tech is getting better but I don't think it's there yet either.