URGENT: Calling all diesel mechanics

WTFJohn

WKR
Fuel pump/gelled fuel.

When it hit -33* last year I had diesel gel in a few vehicles, it took out a secondary fuel pump in one of them as well. New pump, new filters all around, and BOTH white and red Diesel 911 into the tank on the machine. Treat the rest of the fuel you have on hand with white Diesel 911, and consider adding a fuel/water separator to your home tank system if you have one.

White Diesel 911 will help keep it from gelling again, the red Diesel 911 helps to ungel it after the fact.

TheHardWay

Lil-Rokslider
Did you get it figured out? How cold was it? Sounds like a gel issue in you fuel system, particularly in the filters, fuel pump, or injector lines. Get some #1 diesel to add to the #2 you already have. The company that I use for fuel delivery to my tanks here does a winter blend of #1 and #2 diesel and I haven't had any issues down to about -15 to -20º. You are going to pay more for #1. Last time I filled my storage tanks, #1 red diesel was $4.93/gallon vs $3.66 for dyed #2.

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
Thank you for all the replies. I got back out this morning and pulled off the filter housing and removed the element. In a word, both were horrible. I pulled out the manual, and they're supposed to be rinsed with kerosene every 100-150 hours, which in my case is roughly once per mowing season. This was a huge maintenance oversight on my part, as it's probably been 500 hours since I serviced this filter.

The housing cleaned right up of course, but the element is soiled. Not sure if NAPA will have one of these, if not, probably have to run up to the implement dealer. Lesson learned, damn it...

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
Did you get it figured out? How cold was it? Sounds like a gel issue in you fuel system, particularly in the filters, fuel pump, or injector lines. Get some #1 diesel to add to the #2 you already have. The company that I use for fuel delivery to my tanks here does a winter blend of #1 and #2 diesel and I haven't had any issues down to about -15 to -20º. You are going to pay more for #1. Last time I filled my storage tanks, #1 red diesel was $4.93/gallon vs $3.66 for dyed #2.
I'm about 99% sure at this point its the filter. We've lived out in the country for 20 years, and this tractor has been stored in my unheated shed for around 15. Its never gelled up before, and its been much colder over the years. That's not to say that all the filth in the filter may not have caused gelling in the filter itself. I am probably going to start treating with the white 911 as a preventive.

WTFJohn

WKR
I'm about 99% sure at this point its the filter. We've lived out in the country for 20 years, and this tractor has been stored in my unheated shed for around 15. Its never gelled up before, and its been much colder over the years. That's not to say that all the filth in the filter may not have caused gelling in the filter itself. I am probably going to start treating with the white 911 as a preventive.

Dirty filters gel easier, the junk gives the wax more surface area to bond to. Put it in your end-of-season maintenance and you'll be set for each winter going forward, and usually be good to start the following spring as well unless it's a big winter. Also top your fuel tank up at the end of each day, it'll leave less room for moisture to condense inside overnight.

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
Dirty filters gel easier, the junk gives the wax more surface area to bond to. Put it in your end-of-season maintenance and you'll be set for each winter going forward, and usually be good to start the following spring as well unless it's a big winter. Also top your fuel tank up at the end of each day, it'll leave less room for moisture to condense inside overnight.
Great tips and thank you for sharing!

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
NAPA surprisingly carries the filter element, but our local and area stores don't have them in stock. Fortunately the implement dealer 30 miles away has one. Gonna grab one this afternoon and I'll report back after I get it put back together tonight.

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
All- we're back in business and pushing snow. To eliminate possibilities one at a time, I replaced the fuel filter element, bled the system, and let her run for about 10 minutes to get good and warm. I hopped on and took on the drift that was bogging her down last night and pushed right through without any loss in power whatsoever. I went on kept working for another 30 minutes and no issues. I do have a bottle of white 911 for when the cold weather arrives, but for now the filter seems to have done the trick. Thank you again for all the replies, tips, and suggestions.

Diesel owners:
I ran semi/reefer NW to MidW for years .
Most times when people think the fuel is "gelling" it's not.
Oft times frost will build up in the tank. It can plug your filter, it looks like someone stuffed
a snowball in it. Especially after sitting awhile or fueling up. A low tank allows it and the sloshing around
breaks it free.
Pouring a little alcohol in when you fuel prevents that.
The air line alcohol you find in truck stops works fine.
Kept me going in -43 and -51 ( act temp, no wind) when the interstate was lined with dead trucks.

In my diesel trucks, Kubota tractors and Kubota skid loaders I use FPPF Total Power additive. I use it all year around to treat the fuel, not just in winter. I get it in 32oz bottles at NAPA, treats 250 gallons of fuel. My diesels don't throw smoke either. It's good stuff.