URGENT: Calling all diesel mechanics

Hey guys, need some help tonight. We got 6-8" of snow today and I finally got out to start pushing it around with my 2004 Kubota B2410 (3 cylinder diesel). For some reason, about 30 minutes in she started losing power and bogging down for no good reason. I have fresh fuel (diesel 2 from yesterday) she's full of oil and the air filter is fine (I blew it out for good measure). She idles and purs like a kitten, but when getting under any kind of load she starts to stall. It's a hydrostat and I've owned her for almost 15 years. This is the first time this has ever happened. The only thing I can really think may be causing issues is the inline fuel filter, as its been at least a couple years since I replaced it.

I appreciate any other ideas and thank you in advance.

Robobiss

FNG
I’m no mechanic, but I would for sure change that fuel filter. Look for signs of gelling while you are at it. If that’s going on, and the fuel in the tank looks like shit, you may be better off draining/siphoning off what you can before refilling, throw an appropriate amount of Diesel 911 in the fuel tank for good measure (red bottle).

Diesels are really simple. In this case either you aren’t getting fuel (or you’re getting shitty watery icy fuel) or you aren’t getting compression. If it’s the 2nd option you’re in trouble. But it’s very likely a fuel issue.

Change that fuel filter and clean the fuel system up before you end up having to throw injectors at it.

Change all the fuel filters (it may have more than one, a primary water filter, a fuel filter, and perhaps even a screen in the tank) and report back. If that doesn’t fix it I’d be looking at water in the fuel next and then a fuel pump as a third less likely option.

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
Thank you fellas and hopefully NAPA has a fuel filter that’ll work to get us through this and the next storm system in a couple days. The tractor is stored in my shed and plugged in all winter so hopefully nothing major. There was some summer weight fuel in the tank when I added fresh yesterday, so maybe just some bad fuel too.

Robobiss

FNG
Thank you fellas and hopefully NAPA has a fuel filter that’ll work to get us through this and the next storm system in a couple days. The tractor is stored in my shed and plugged in all winter so hopefully nothing major. There was some summer weight fuel in the tank when I added fresh yesterday, so maybe just some bad fuel too.
If it has a fuel water separator like a truck does (I think it should) they usually have a little petcock to drain what the separator catches. It may be worth draining that into something so you can get an eyeball on the fuel that’s in the bottom of the separator.

If the fuel looks fine, your main filter is probably restricted. If it looks like shit, you probably have a water/gelling issue.

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
If it has a fuel water separator like a truck does (I think it should) they usually have a little petcock to drain what the separator catches. It may be worth draining that into something so you can get an eyeball on the fuel that’s in the bottom of the separator.

If the fuel looks fine, your main filter is probably restricted. If it looks like shit, you probably have a water/gelling issue.
Here’s a picture of the system. That little seep seems new. I wonder if there’s small crack in that filter housing and it’s sucking air? More to check in the am

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    348.4 KB · Views: 120

Robobiss

FNG
Here’s a picture of the system
There’s nothing between that and the tank?

Again, no diesel mech, a real one will probably chime and and say I’m an idiot, but that looks like a regular cartridge fuel filter and not a water separator, so perhaps it doesn’t actually have one if I’m correct. Usually a water separator will be able to be drained from the bottom.

I don’t know enough about these Kubota diesels to give any real professional advice. Hopefully someone that know more about these specific tractors and fuel systems will chime in.

Lvthntitall

Lil-Rokslider
Like others have said, I would change the filter and try to get it in a warm garage for a couple hours, then let it run for a while to get winter blend fuel through the system. Having it plugged in keeps the oil warm but does nothing to keep the fuel system warm.

CorbLand

WKR
We had the same thing happen on a skidsteer once and it was the fuel pump. It ran fine at idle but when you throttled up it would run a little rough and die if you tried to move it.

I know very little about diesels but something to check if the above stuff doesn’t work.

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
We had the same thing happen on a skidsteer once and it was the fuel pump. It ran fine at idle but when you throttled up it would run a little rough and die if you tried to move it.

I know very little about diesels but something to check if the above stuff doesn’t work.
Thanks for the heads up, and I will definitely keep that in mind. I’m sure it’s a simple repair, but since it’s Kubota probably $$$. I can’t complain though, this little tracker doesn’t owe me anything after what I’ve asked her to do.

gbflyer

WKR
Many industrial and farm diesel engines have a little finger strainer somewhere in the fuel system on the intake side before the fuel filters. A Cat D3B made us crazy for awhile until we found it…absolutely packed with crap out of a 30yo tank. Since then we’ve gone there on other diesels too. Anyway, something else to look for.

Iowafarmer

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys, need some help tonight. We got 6-8" of snow today and I finally got out to start pushing it around with my 2004 Kubota B2410 (3 cylinder diesel). For some reason, about 30 minutes in she started losing power and bogging down for no good reason. I have fresh fuel (diesel 2 from yesterday) she's full of oil and the air filter is fine (I blew it out for good measure). She idles and purs like a kitten, but when getting under any kind of load she starts to stall. It's a hydrostat and I've owned her for almost 15 years. This is the first time this has ever happened. The only thing I can really think may be causing issues is the inline fuel filter, as its been at least a couple years since I replaced it.

Sounds like a fuel problem to me

BLJ

WKR
Here’s a picture of the system. That little seep seems new. I wonder if there’s small crack in that filter housing and it’s sucking air? More to check in the am
When you get a filter, get a can of brake clean and clean off the top of the filter housing where you’ve noticed the new seep.
When you start it after the filter change, keep an eye on that spot to see if it gets wet again.