Crazy shark encounter

Yes, it is illegal to use drones to catch food fish in Florida with the exception of tuna and menhaden which can be taken by purse seine.

Spotter planes are defined as "any aircraft".

68B-4.013 Limitation on Use of Spotter Planes.
Beginning January 1, 1993, no person shall harvest any marine fish in any waters of the state with the aid of any spotter plane, except for those species allowed to be harvested with a purse seine pursuant to paragraph 68B-4.0083(1)(c), F.A.C.
Rulemaking Authority Art. IV, Sec. 9, Fla. Const. FS. Law Implemented Art. IV, Sec. 9, Fla. Const., 370.025, 370.027 FS. History–New 11-26-92, Amended 9-30-96, Formerly 46-4.013, Amended 3-1-05.

jayhawk

WKR
Funny how all these shark stories just “happen” to occur right before Shark Week on the Discovery Channel…..

walleyes

FNG
The guy has one of the best YouTube fishing entertainment channels called blacktip H. My son got me on it. He has some of the coolest drone footage and entertaining Goliath grouper fishing videos. He has captured so pretty neat stuff and this is one of them.

NDGuy

WKR
Yes, it is illegal to use drones to catch food fish in Florida with the exception of tuna and menhaden which can be taken by purse seine.

Spotter planes are defined as "any aircraft".

68B-4.013 Limitation on Use of Spotter Planes.
Beginning January 1, 1993, no person shall harvest any marine fish in any waters of the state with the aid of any spotter plane, except for those species allowed to be harvested with a purse seine pursuant to paragraph 68B-4.0083(1)(c), F.A.C.
Rulemaking Authority Art. IV, Sec. 9, Fla. Const. FS. Law Implemented Art. IV, Sec. 9, Fla. Const., 370.025, 370.027 FS. History–New 11-26-92, Amended 9-30-96, Formerly 46-4.013, Amended 3-1-05.
Interesting because BlackTipH does it all the time

Laramie

WKR
It's not illegal to take videos of fishing trips - guy is probably a youtuber.
Did you listen to the video- they absolutely confess to a crime. The guy directed his buddy to where 2 cobia were using the drone.

Rich M

WKR
I'd love a drone - just to see where the next guy is. This is usually how I find the next fisherman...

Blue Heron (2).jpg

On this trip, there was a kayaker behind almost every point and island. Drone coulda cured that.

Greenbelt

Lil-Rokslider
One time I was surfing and off to right of me in my peripheral I could see something skimming the water, but then I'd lose it. In my head I thought "is that a damn shark chasing a seal". Then my next thought was I was being paranoid. After about a minute a baby seal popped up next to me and scrambled onto the nose of my board. We stared each other for prob 2 seconds before I slapped that thing sideways off my board and tried to catch anything on the way in.

No hero stories here. Yes I sacrificed the baby seal. And swam for my life. The seal did survive cause I saw it on the shore several minutes later. But so did I lol.

Crghss

Lil-Rokslider
Makes you wanna go surfing doesn’t it?

Depends have far off shore you are. Over 3 miles can do what you want.

Inside 3 miles
You can use drone to drop your bait.
Can‘t spot fish, which these guys seem to be doing.

Crazy how they seem to ignore the shark and chase the Cobia.

Last edited: